Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

He was brilliant, just looked very stiff (arthritis or other health issues?), much more so than Ross, Macca & Hancock who are 5-9 years older than him. Missing that set was the toughest choice of the weekend.

Betting suspended on the Arctic Monkeys for 2023 after a flurry of activity. Thus they're near certainties with I reckon 2/3 from Elton John, Taylor Swift & Harry Styles plus the Spice Girls on Sun afternoon. But would it really be that bland for the top tier???

As years to miss go, this could be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There'll be one female anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Taylor Swift, yeah. After she had to pull out due to reschedules, I'd imagine she would be 2023/2024. Apparently Elton John looks for stupid money. Harry Stiles? Not the same year as Taylor Swift I'd say. Arctic Monkeys? Possibly alright. Spice Girls? Too much of a coup for legends slot.

Bring on Pearl Jam for Sat :)

A Glasto 2023 thread incoming? Surely enough recovery time has been had.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I'd say lady gaga could be another possibility as she is doing a stadium tour in parts of the UK and Europe so could easily come back next year

Surely the headliners for 2023 won't be as bad as all the acts we've mentioned? I understand that you can easily avoid them all but the headliners set the tone for the lineup.

Well, I'd say it will be Taylor Swift in 2023 or 2024. There is no denying she is enormous enough and he demographic is quite diverse given her recent collaborations in front of and behind the scenes.

2023 thread please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

You could start it yourself. Or are there unspoken rules i don't know about 😉

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement

I’ll not be going next year so seems kinda inappropriate for me to start it. I’ll just be checking in the odd time as still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Roxy Music doing the legends slot next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

normal tickets on sale november 6th Sunday

we've 3 people looking for tickets. if anyone has room for us to join their ticket buying crew, send me a DM

The dust has well settled at this stage, I'm disappointed to admit Glastonbury didn't quite reach my outrageous expectations.

While it was fun, I'm not in a hurry to go back. I try to think of it as a series of gigs with amazing artists, each of whom I'd be willing to pay 60 quid for. In that context, it is well worth it. I kept finding myself comparing it to another epic festival that I've only been to once; Burning Man. As we all know comparison is the thief of joy. Basically all the things I thought Glastonbury was trying to be, Burning Man is superior in almost every facet. I was told the best parts of Glastonbury was the spontaneous events that occur with your fellow revellers. While I did experience a few (a giant turtle blaring tunes slowly driving through the crowd), they were few a far between compared to burning man. Burning man is 99% those kind of experiences, Glastonbury is more like 10% of that. It's biggest draw is the sheer amount of high profile acts you can see, none of which you will see at burning man; but the trade-off is the throngs of people also wanting to see these acts, bottlenecks sporadically popping up, taking forever to get around.

I somehow got the impression that Glastonbury was some kind of life changing event that you'd be glowing about for weeks afterwards. It's not. It's essentially electric picnic but bigger. I don't necessarily think bigger is better when it comes to festivals. Taking hours to get anywhere got old. I quickly had to get into the mindset of not trying to be anywhere in particular and just take it in.

I got familiar with the concept of a "Glastonbury moment" as the weekend went on, I think it was the pianist of Metronomy that attempted to create one by opening one of their biggest songs with hymn like singing. Definitely a cool and enjoyable moment, but it made me realise that these moments are perhaps fabricated and forced. The mythos of Glastonbury started to erode bit by bit. I think if I was half my age, I would no doubt would have been completely enamoured with it. I'll probably try and get tickets again as my group are up for it. I wouldn't be heart broken if I missed out. Over a decade trying to get tickets, it was never going to live up to that wait, was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

That's the thing about Glastonbury, I feel. It does get hyped up by various BBC commentators and others to nauseating levels with all sorts of superlatives thrown about. It generates such expectations especially if it's your first time that i suppose could be hard to live up to. I try to block that guff out and just see what happens.

In saying that, I had a fantastic time this year. Never been to EP but my missus has many times and she thinks Glasto is head and shoulders above it.

It's what you make of it bla bla

Loved it this year - like every year, even the rainy/muddy ones - but it was too crowded. Really noticeably too busy for a lot of the time in nearly every area.

I started going in my early 20s so defo had different experiences then. I dont do the SE Corner anymmore. Was great at first but far too busy now. Entire area needs an overhaul imo.

Maybe you just bigged it up a bit too much. My intro to Glastonbury was very different. In 2015 before the october sale my mates in the UK asked me was I interested in going with them. Id been going to EP since 2010 and id been to B&S and Oxegen and a few others but id never really thought about glasto, wasn't on my list of things to do which is bizarre in hindsight, and I had no idea about how difficult the ticket sale was so that hadn't been putting me off. When they told me it was only £50 deposit up front I said grand ill try and get the tickets with ye. Id never even watched the TV coverage much so I didn't know much about it, I had no expectations or preconceptions about what it was going to be like, I knew it was big and they had pyramid shaped stage but that was about it. The overall experience in 2016 totally blew me away, I had never seen the like of it anywhere, the near 24hr music, the scale of it etc. I still remember walking into The Temple in the south east corner for the first time and my jaw just hit the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Where else would you recommend at night time after the main stages have finished up? We kinda just ended up at the SE corner every night and it's not really my scene at all.

The Rocket Lounge in Shangri La is always good fun but its just a nightmare to get anywhere near the SE corner after the headliners.

Bimble Inn has some DJs playing funk and stuff. Williams Green has a "guilty pleasures" thing and Northern Soul. Most of the bars have tunes on into the night. Stone Circle is still fun albeit swallowed by the SE Corner.

£340.

Thats €395 to you and me.

• Advertisement

F*ck that's a jump!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

What used it be?

280 Sterling. Of course that was 2020

Worth it imo.

Yeah will be trying for tickets this week. No Taylor Swift in 23. People thought she was a banker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Premier league and equivalent across europe season moving due to Qatar meant Taylor couldn’t do the europe run in 23

Would have lost my shirt on that bet. Yeah, thought she was a sure thing. Had to Covid-Cancel. New album out just in time. Still massive.

Now they are saying Harry Stiles? Seems about right I suppose. Not a fan but is enormous at the moment. Would draw a big crowd (Prob not as much as Swift but still big).

Wonder will the price hike put people off. It's a chunk of change in addition. Personally not but it did make me blink.

Id imagine it will put some people off. But its still only 50 quid up front so I reckon most people will just go for it and see next year. Came off very well on telly this year from what Ive seen largely due to Macca so demand will be bananas as always.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It's necessary to cover the fuel bill for arcadia

Advertisement