Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Absolutely. It's a not-for-profit festival where the proceeds are shared between Greenpeace, Water Aid and Oxfam with large donations (approx £9m per annum) also given to over 150 local charities.

If they wanted to make extra cash they'd allow corporations and beer sponsors in. They don't, apart from EE which provides telecommunications there and free charging for the public. They've also refused huge offers from Channel 4 and Sky for coverage. Profiteering they ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Sorry but you're just old and you don't get new music. Music evolves and changes just like everything else does. In 50 - 60 years people will be saying the same thing about todays music. It's just the passing of time I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I take that with the biggest pinch of 'saxa' you can find..... C'mon now they're making a nice tidy profit from this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

Fupp me what a week

Left Body and Soul on Sunday & set sail to Blighty on Tues afternoon.

Only got back this morning as we missed our 20:30 Monday sailing due to being stuck in a car park for 5 fupping hours, had to get the 02:15 sailing instead

Here's a run down of the acts I caught not including the brief snippets u catch as u float about

***Friday ***

Libertines

Wet leg

Slayford Mods

Supergrass

Idles (Other Stage)

JAMC

Primal Scream

***Saturday***

Idles (BBC Introducing)

Black Midi

Tom Robinson

John Cooper Clarke

Waterboys

Paul Mccarthy

***Sunday***

Just Mustard

Fontaines DC

Jack White

Jar Vis 

Kendrick Lamar

Hard to pick highlights out of the above as there were so many outstanding moments

Primal Screams set in the John Peel on Sat night was nostalgia-tastic

Fontaines absolutely knocked it out of the park on Sunday - great to see them evolve over the last 5 yrs or so into bona-fide indie guitar heroes

Kendrick Lamars performance was unreal - the man's flow n delivery were outstanding, he delievered a great show and a powerful message to conclude a weekend of musical highs

The production on site is far ahead of any festival I've attened- sound and vision par excellence

I'm a broken man but it was great to be back in the fields of Avalon once again

No, good music is good music ...and today's music is Cr*p end of ..look at live aid 85 compared to the Cr*p that passes as talented today, worlds apart😐

• Advertisement

This is such a dumb opinion that I'm not going to bother debating with you about it. Just because you personally don't like something doesn't make it bad. If you can't recognise talent that's on you.

I can recognize talent - those who can sing & write songs and play musical instruments properly without relying on cover versions and backing tracks like half the acts in Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭fillup

Which half did covers and played to backing tracks?

Watching back Paul McCartney. I can see what people are saying about his voice not being what it used to be but it didn't take away from the experience whatsoever at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Stillill42

So much for the received wisdom that Frosty was a jolly, happy soul. A sad descent into bitterness. Get well soon, Frosty

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm now based in the UK, but had previously done many Glastonbury trips from Ireland. The kid is now 7 and this was their 3rd time, but likely the only one so far they might remember with the previous ones being aged 2 and before that aged 4 weeks.

It is totally doable with kids, but you have to be prepared for a totally different way of doing the festival. With a baby and toddler it's possibly a bit easier as they mostly can't escape and you can just strap them into a buggy and still get to places that you want. 4 weeks post c-section for the wife was more of a challenge, but comfy chair and never walking very far made it survivable. I had a lot of kit to cart around that year.

This year it was just me with a coach ticket, but as we live close by I ran to the nearby parkrun in Shepton Mallet on the Saturday, ran that, and then took the shuttle bus back to the site with the kid and their kit for the night. After a few days of partying for me the Saturday and Sunday were spent with a lot of time in the Kidz Field and around the Theatre Circus areas. I like those areas anyway so wasn't a major problem. Then I could manage to get them to go along to one big act on the Pyramid each day without them getting too bored.

Knowing your way round the site helps as you can take many alternative routes to get to the Kidz Field so you can see some other things along the way. Will be many years of going before the kid realises that you are taking quite convoluted routes. The Kidz Field is awesome though and you can just leave the kid to run wild. They won't get let out, and on the way in they check for you having tagged them with your phone number somewhere.

It was tricky doing it solo though as you could really do with a tag team so one of you at least can get to see some acts, or to make fetching drinks or going to the loo a bit easier.

I had great fun with the kid, but wouldn't have been able for the whole week flying solo. With both of you in attendance though it's perfectly doable for the full duration once you change your expectations of what you'll see.

There is a lot of ice-cream required though, but thankfully plenty of ice-cream vans about the site to keep motivation levels high.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Stillill42

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I’m a bit like Frosty, can’t think of a band in the last 5/10 years that will be great in 30, I keep going back in time to listen to bands I hadn’t before. I’d love to check out any of current potential greats if someone points me, cheers.

Glastonbury has always been a political festival, a not-for-profit event founded on left-wing ideals and it remains that way. That's not covert and how it escapes anyone's notice is puzzling. Formerly all the profits went to CND and now they're shared between Water Aid, Greenpeace & Oxfam. Greta Thunberg got a platform this weekend and a lot of political artists. Previously we've had the Dalai Lama denounce China, David Attenborough call for climate action plus Jeremy Corbyn, EP Thompson, Tony Benn and many others speak from the main stage. And long may that continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,707 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That high flying birds just did a load of oasis covers and that old lad from the Kanye song spent half the set singing Beatles songs.

Coach to Bristol Airport in 50 mins. Never had that happen before. Fitted in with the rest of a near-perfect weekend.

List of acts seen, with probable omissions. Full feedback when I'm less tired.

The Libertines

Murray Lachlan Young

Orlando Weeks

Wet Leg

Crowded House

Sleaford Mods

TLC

Idles

The Undertones

The Jesus and Mary Chain

Primal Scream

Hak Baker

Black Midi

WH Lung

Nilufer Yanya

Porridge Radio

Chris Difford & Glenn Tilbrook (with added Michael Eavis)

Leon Bridges

Caribou

Paul McCartney

Herbie Hancock

Jesca Hoop

Diana Ross (25 mins)

Fontaines DC

Damien Dempsey

The Bootleg Beatles

NewDad

The Magic Gang

Kendrick Lamar

And almost all were pretty top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ah come on now for an 80 yr old he did amazing, as did Robert Plant....Diana Ross not so but she had her backing singers to drown her out😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still buzzing after Macca. Christ. Diana was a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Meself

We set off about 6.40am..more precaution than anything else as we had loads of time for ferry. It was a straight run out to the motorway with no traffic hold ups at all. We then had a kip at a service station

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

That's some list to fit in Seath I'm surprised you had time for the toilet in between, a lot of walking I'd say to catch all these.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭sporina

my gosh - some calibre of some of the posters on here.. 😞

but I continue to try and enjoy Boards without letting their bitterness get under my skin

You're just embarrassing yourself now, probably best to stop posting.

SOME people may have left. But not a significant number. From start to finish that crowd stretched right out to the Cider Bus on the left and the same beyond the hedge to the bar on the right. At the back it went further than I've ever seen before, up and into the tents at the top of the hill, far greater numbers than the Stones, Cure, Dolly or anyone else have commandeered in the past. And he held the crowd til the last.

This was stunning. Atlas at the beginning was amazing as well but not on youtube. The volume of the bass really doesn't come across on youtube 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The "bunch of stuff nobody knew" included Cant Buy Me Love (the 4th highest selling single of the 1960s), Got to Get You into My Life off Revolver, Getting Better off Sgt Pepper and some big big singles like Let Em In etc.

Interestingly 2 of the first 4 songs he played are about weed

It's a not-for-profit festival. They don't make any money from it.

Brilliant report. I'd love to do it with my kids (3 & 6) but I saw a lot of people struggling and I know I would. Taking the older one in the next few years is very appealing but I'd want a dry run at EP/ATN/Vantastival first. In your case having it nearby obviously takes much of the travel hassle away.

The Kidz Field looks amazing, supposedly the largest children's festival in Europe. And so central to the site which cuts out a lot of hassle. Glad you had a great time.

Circa 22km-24km per day. And far less acts than I'd see at EP as you can't easily nip between stages. Those acts were over three days with music from 11am to 1am. Not really a lot over 42 hours with acts doing shorter festival sets. Wait for my EP list BD. 😁

• Advertisement

The full Bicep set is on youtube, we'll see how long it lasts.

Advertisement