Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Stunning morning out if a wee bit hazy. Feels warmer than any morning so far of this good spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The warmest so far in Portlaoise. 17.5C in the car. Will probably rise around 1C more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

Today is absolutely beautiful.

Some heat in that sun, beautiful to relax here in park.

What's this I hear about snow next week!

Noooooooooooo.

I'm after taking down the summer dresses from attic and happily wearing them for past few days, ok with a jacket when it gets a bit nippy at times but still.

Imagine having to find shade in March so you can feed your newborn without having them in full sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Can’t get enough of this cracking March weather.

Pics from a Howth walk earlier where there wasn't a hint of a breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Daffodils in garden close to bursting theyr so happy! Theyr going to be buried in hail in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I have really enjoyed this settled spell over the past week here in Mayo. Some lovely fresh spring mornings with plenty of birdsong. Some good spells of spring sunshine most days and coupled with light winds over the last few days in particular, it has been more than pleasant to be out in the March sunshine and just watch nature bursting forth.

There has also been some lovely morning skies as well as some beautiful sunsets. All in all, a lovely taste of spring before what looks like a sharp cold blast next week.

Some nice altocumulus stratiformis (open to correction!) here in Central Mayo this afternoon.

Below, one of those lovely sunsets earlier this week that made it a joy to be out in the garden at the time.

Sryanbruen & Goldfinch beautiful pictures thanks for sharing them👍

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Great pictures lads, thanks 👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Currently touching 19c in Sligo. One of the official stations like Mt Dillon might go near 20c

• Advertisement

Very warm today, make the most of it sadly temperatures take a tumble from Monday onwards and some sleety wet snow is possible with frost by night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

when was the last time it rained?? are we in a drought yet?

It last rained here on Patrick's day in carrick on Shannon wasn't much though, I'd say we are close to drought conditions although up until this warm spell its been raining most of the time as ground was saturated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,122 ✭✭✭pad199207

10 days since it last rained here in Kildare so still a few days to go yet for absolute drought.

22.2C on this day at Belmullet in 2012, 10 years ago now. Satellite image for that day from NASA. Maybe slightly cooler and hazier today but basically identical.

A few stations reporting 19 degrees this afternoon.

Another glorious day, sitting out in garden all afternoon enjoying the weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another beautiful day in Meath, although not as warm as recent days. High today of only 14C compared to 18C yesterday. Tomorrow looks like the final day of it before winter sets in from mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Now the sunniest March on record at both Dublin stations. Casement now standing with 178.0 hours and Dublin Airport 178.7 hours to the 27th.

That's the sunniest May on record in 2020, 3rd sunniest April on record in 2021 and now the sunniest March on record in 2022. Quite the springs lately for sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

You're right, it was the 27th and not the 22nd, as I had said. A great day, I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

One final beautiful summers style day, make the most of it. Big temperature drop starting from tomorrow with a chance of rain/hail/sleet showers at times from Wednesday and frost by night.

Yep another lovely day outdoors. I had to warn my 5 year old on way to school this morning that the cold weather is coming.

He looked at me as if I was mad😁he is convinced it's the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

April days of 4-8c are very common. Not as common as 10-14c but almost as common as 14-18c.

Off the top of my head. Snowfall late April 1981. Very cold, wintry April 1986. A fairly widespread snowfall on 2nd April 1987. Two very cold Aprils 1989 and 1990 with frost and frequent wintry showers.

The first week of April 1992 saw some snowfall, particularly Eastern counties on snowfall easterly wind. Temps 2-6c. The first 10 days of April 1994 witnessed wintry showers and night frosts. 16th April 1999 brought a morning snowfall. I lived in Rathfarnham at the time and snow lay there.

2001 very cold start to April after a cold March. 2008 late March Easter snowfall, continued into early April. 2010, snowfall on 30/31 March still lay on the ground on 7 April. 2012 a cold first half of the month, sleety, heat on most nights. 2013, very cold first week following on from very cold March. April 1st dry, cloudy, cold, east wind, max 4/5c. Out cycling the hills at home, windchill memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭highdef

Mount Dillon looks like it may the warmest official Met station today, 17° at 17:00.

Not only has it been the sunniest March in Dublin on record with Dublin Airport leading the way at 195.5 hours to 29th (possibly the highest March sunshine total anywhere in Ireland since 1955), it is also now the sunniest on record at Cork Airport with 169.5 hours to 29th. Cork's previous sunniest was 161.9 hours back in March 1970.

It'd be an irony though not surprising that March turned out to be the sunniest month of 2022.

I thought Dublin was the cloudiest and the west got more must be the opposite, I'm in carrick on Shannon and we got alot of sun the last 10 days

Brr, Baltic out there this morning.

At least it was well forecast, so we knew to put on plenty of layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes, horrible blustery freezing cold weather. My poor plants that were doing so well. Going to wait for it to warm up a bit before sowing veg outside. Can't see any respite on the horizon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Radiosonde 850-hPa temperatures from midday today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

surely we're in drought territory now? it hasn't rained for over two and half weeks where i am - mid-west

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement