Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Turkish Dental craic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

no, hes dead right, people that go in for a medical operation where theres a % chance you could die(always is, been there), if things go bad and they die, thats their fault, they knew the risks.. no sympathy for them.... /s

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

you dont know what /s means, do you?

welcome to the internet

No man, ive been on the internet before though. But dont know what /s means. Id guess it stands for sarcasm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭kirving

The key issue with Turkey, is that the only way to actually make extensive treatment cost effective vs. Ireland, is to do it all in a week.

In my experience, Irish dentists (& orthodontist, endodontist and maxillofacial surgeon) have all been ridiculously methodical and careful in their work - and I still had a few issues. Nothing that wasn't laid out for me in the beginning, but nonetheless happened, and I was very glad I didn't go to Turkey as I would have no recourse.

• Advertisement

I've had crowns, bridges and implants done...........all here in Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Its hugely expensive but I wouldn't dream of going to Turkey for jobs as big as implants. Both mine needed bone grafts. One took really well but it takes anything up to a year including the initial bone graft which is a horrible experience (!) then 4-5 months to recovery to allow the bone take and grow, then at least 2 appointments after that. I really don't understand how anyone can get this job done in a week!

My 2nd implant with bone graft failed, the implant fractured after just 2 months. The dentist said it was a fault with the actual implant itself and I am in the process of getting it replaced and re-done free of charge. My dentist is Hungarian as are most of the dentists in this practice but their follow up and after care is absolutely brilliant. I'd be petrified to travel abroad for this kind of treatment!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Information is widely available on the internet, the portal most widely used to find/book treatment abroad.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/cosmetic-surgery-dental-procedures-turkey-23890633

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I doubt any deaths are dental tourism related probably medical

Not a fan of it though I've good time for Irish dentists, well trained and professional IME and I relied heavily on their advice over the years

I did meet a dentist here who was a knob when I was younger . I had bad teeth but he was the exception

• Advertisement

You doubts would be wrong, there was a widely reported death during dental treatment recently, google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m not sure the cause has been determined yet, but it was in the dental chair. There are strict guidelines here on what can be performed and by who when it comes to medical and dental procedures, those guidelines may not apply abroad.

There was a study done a couple of months ago, I was trying to find it yesterday evening, which showed only something like 20% of the clinics on Instagram which advertised for cosmetic medical treatments had the qualifications/professional standards which would be required to do the treatment in the UK/Ireland. There was quite a lot in the media earlier in the year about it, someone might be able to link to it. This also applies to dental treatments where the patients are placed under general anaesthesia for extensive treatments without the necessary back up services.

There is no way that a dentist here takes on complex restorative dental procedures without proper training and experience, and none would do it during the time period of your average holiday, with no aftercare.

Edit: Found the study.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/boom-in-pandemic-cosmetic-tourism-backfires-41364335.html

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 9 merv76

Hi,

I'm in the exact same position - would love to learn more about the process and how to go about it.

There's a huge amount of information on line and don't really know where to start, I'd like so information from somebody who's actually been there and done it and if there was a link to a reputable clinic I'd be so greatful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jennibrenn

Well I totally parked this idea tbh... And subsequently just only reading/catching up now with everyone's thoughts on it!

I reached out to the clinic my friend went to, again she just had some crowns,veneers and nothing major.. But they did discourage her from getting an implant and instead she got a bridge, so I'm thinking that's to avoid a second trip etc.

Anyway, I sent them some photographs and they advised against implants also, and further more seemed like they were going to literally file all my teeth down for veneers.

I get the sense they will take the easiest, less time consuming route to get the most cosmetically pleasing result imo...

Be careful!

I'll be staying local, as I'm too scared of future problems arising.

Thanks,

J

Advertisement