Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Turkish Dental craic

Options
  • 23-02-2022 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭

I feel i have no other option, are there any known reasons why i shouldn't pursue a full set of new teeth abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure most people are happy with their new teeth, but there was an article in the Irish media last week about the number of botch jobs abroad that the Irish health service had to fix.

Wasn't just teeth, it was various cosmetic and other surgeries too.

I know someone who got 'new' teeth recently abroad, not sure where it was done, and they look a little daft if I'm honest. They don't suit their mouth. They are far too fake looking, ultra white. But whatever they want, it's their mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i saw that , the surgeries mentioned i felt would of had a high risk of infection anyway especially factoring in flights and travelling. I'm having a turkish consultation on saturday, i'm fairly confident i'll go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well best of luck with your trip and procedure, I'm sure it'll go well, as it's only a tiny number I'm sure that have complications, and these might well have happened anyway in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jennibrenn

Hi All,

Similarly enough, I'm actually in the very early stages(prompted by a friend who has booked her consultation & flights!) to travel to Turkey for 2 implants and most probably some other bits and pieces namely fillings...I was rather astounded by the cost of any major dental treatment in Ireland.

I'm very keen to go but a little apprehensive, mainly around what could go wrong etc.. And the fact that I may need a bone graft etc..I know there's lots of threads on this.. But can anyone specifically recommend a clinic over there or have any particular experiences with same...

Any feedback , greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jen

pm’d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Considering this thread is less than a month old and you are unlikely to have had your treatment completed, I'd be interested to know what you are recommending, the website?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

In general, the view is that you are basically cramming months sometimes up to a year of work into a day/couple of days. Having known a couple of people that went that route - both had significant issues within a couple of years.

There is also the expected upscale of treatment, while you may think you need a couple of crowns. You could come out with multiple crowns (which means filed down teeth).

Buyer beware

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Wouldn't implants even with no bone grafting needed require at least 2 visits? And thats assuming all goes 100% with no complications? And what if you have a complication? Not exactly around the corner when you need a fix/touch-up.

I got a couple of implants set myself last year. It took 4 visits. 1. X-ray, assessing the 'site' as he called it. 2. Setting the implants then wait a couple of months (minimum) 3. Take the moulds for the crowns, wait for them being done 4. Fit the crowns.

Maybe some of this can be shorted into one but implants have to set and bed-in & heal up before a crown can be fitted at the very least?

that's where i was mistaken, i need some implants and they are not what are known as "turkey teeth" they do require a return visit but are still a fraction of irish prices. I would be happy to go but i think i may need extra care for that aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I would recommend shopping around also. Even in Ireland prices can vary a lot between dentists for the very same product. I got a couple of implants myself like I said and they were under 2k each. And then you get 20% back from the tax man also.

It wasnt cheap but it wasn't impossible considering I'm hoping to have them for the rest of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Dear God, they sent her away for three days with 28 drilled teeth, exposed dentine/nerves, no temporary crowns on her teeth and in excruciating pain, I’ve seen some awful stuff, but that is up there with the worst. Then they kicked her out of the hotel for complaining. Mad.

For the most part I believe people get what they deserve when they go for cheap dental tourism, but no one deserves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shil.mar

Awful. It makes me sad to see how some get treated. But I have to say, there are different choices, there are underground clinics where I doubt they have dentist at all.

I am working in a dental clinic in Istanbul. I can recommend. When you look for some serious thing like health, more than looking for cheapest alternatives it is always better to make sure about quality and work of dentist. 

What you can do is pick 2-3 clinics. And in first day start and go for a visit just to know the dentist and see the clinic... You will understand the different. 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

bro in law got a full set of veneers in Turkey back in Feb, hes delighted with them, unbelievable service, picked them up from airport and everything.

meanwhile, me in Dublin cant even get the dentist to ring me back for weeks about an x-ray i need, low and behold i broke a chunk off a tooth saturday night.

might end up going over myself if i need a **** load of work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

wait a while and watch what happens to his before you make any decisions

got two irish implants last week, very sore but at least i have after care , no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

will do, but theres a huge amount of people going over the last few years, wifes brother got his done there about 4 years ago, just the tops i think, hasnt had any issues.

In the general the issue is not around the quality, but the time taken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Harsh. If someone has dental problems and cannot get freebies the prices here are prohibitively expensive so you cannot blame people for looking for value. I got an implant 2 years ago and by the end of it the cost was north of €3k. Zero complications.

I need at least 2 further implants but can't justify that type of cash outlay.

People rarely need implants though, they choose to get them. Pawwed Rig few people travel for necessary treatments, it is more for cosmetic or implants. So if there are complications, that is when the cost savings become very expensive.

I certainly don’t blame people for looking for better value, but neither do I have any sympathy for them if it doesn’t work out.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What is the alternative? Crowns and bridges are astronomically expensive too. Dentures?

The fact that there are alternatives makes implants non essential, all the options you mention are all less expensive, a denture is the fraction of the cost of an implant.

Again, few people travel for what they need to have done, they travel for what they choose to have done.

Jaysus it is 2022. Dentures are hardly a desirable outcome at this stage.

Exactly. Some people choose implants over dentures. So they travel by choice, not by necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

What an lovely chap you are. People are going over to get there teeth fixed for less than the mental prices here. Cop on to yourself.

Travel due to price is not in dispute, and something I have no issue with. I just don’t have any sympathy when things go wrong, people here know the risks of dental/medical tourism before they go.

Ive sympathy for them. They are looking to get there teeth fixed. Why the **** wouldnt you have sympathy for someone who paid to have there teeth fixed and then it didnt work out.

Because they knew the risks before travelling. We are not talking about holiday rooms or apartments here, we are talking about complex, irreversible medical and dental procedures.

Thats an insanely **** take. Oh they knew the risks of going so if it goes wrong i dont have any sympathy. Your example actually just proves my point we are not looking at people buying holiday homes or luxuries , its just people wanting there teeth fixed.

• Advertisement

Let’s be clear about this. The vast majority of people who travel for dental procedures do not do so out of necessity, they do so by choice, mostly for cosmetic reasons. They are not flying abroad to have their teeth “fixed”, few travel just to have routine cleanings/fillings/maintenance, they are there to improve their appearance or to get an upgrade on other less expensive options. Pawwed Rig will confirm the complexity and number of visits required for implants, and the importance of aftercare if needed, particularly in an emergency.

If you travel knowing the procedures involved and the risks, then I’m not sure why sympathy is expected.

I’ll give you a recent example. A patient attended with two loose crowns on implants done in Hungary. The screws are loose, a simple 30min job to tighten them, if you have the correct screwdriver and ratchet to fit the system, AB Implants. Unfortunately that is not a system used here so I checked to see if I could borrow the instruments from the Rep for another system with similar connections. They said they don’t lend instruments, I’d have to buy them, cost nearly €400. When I informed the patient that I wouldn’t use these again so she would have to pay, I got an earful about the cost. So I just said “Fine, off you go back to Hungary for a 30 min job”.

Advertisement