Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

No

I don't sanitise my hands, have left my mask off in airports, on planes and in crowds, I take no vitamins, yet still no covid.... The exact opposite of what you have done but with the same end result, so why should I bother with a mask?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I'll wear it if I think I have a cold or something going to a doctor's etc or taking a flight.

No

All the "vulnerable" categories or people clogging the airwaves desperately trying to cling onto to legally enforced mask wearing for everyone, and in case you hadn't noticed, this is actually a thread about continued mask wearing, the hint is in the title:

"Will you continue to wear your mask when they are optional?"

🙄

So nobody said you should wear a mask.

Youre just manufacturing something to be outraged about.

• Advertisement

No

Yes, you caught me, I'm manufacturing outrage 🙄

At least I'm not on the radio manufacturing outrage, trying to ram masks down everyone else's throats.... surely that counts as someone saying I should wear a mask, or does that not fit with your "masks are cool / think of the vulnerable" agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

No

Absolutely not. I hope from next Monday never to wear the damn things ever again. Two years being burdened with the hassle of having to bring them everywhere with you, and while I understand why we had to do it, im not looking backwards.

Why would you pay any heed to some random person on the radio?

I certainly don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Yes in all situations.

Well, it's the only protection I have against the very real probability of "excruciating death by covid." ....and if it keeps anyone else safe from covid or even the worry of it, I most certainly intend to mask up in all public situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Nope can’t wait to be rid of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I suppose that if there is one thing that this thread does, it's help us to remember why masks needed to be made mandatory.

I can understand people not wanting to wear them, or not caring if they catch or help to spread on a disease. If you want to be like that, then be like that. Where it gets a bit worrying is where people parrot on Facebook-esque scutter about why they believe that masks offer no protection. Or the scroungers going on about "bed-wetters". Just lazy people who, instead of doing their bit, have to justify in their own head to make themselves feel better as why they are happy to sit up on the backs of others who are making an effort.

I think that they should retain one or two carraiges on trains or Luas where masks are mandatory for those who want to wear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You do what you want DLink, I'll do what I want. Whatever makes you happy. Why are you asking me questions about what you should do? I didn't ask you any questions and I don't have answers for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No

If they actually worked I’d be all be for them. Evident logic (especially from omicron) tells us they are as useful as chocolate teapots. Time to forget about masks and their imaginary virtues

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Yes in busy Shops/public transport.

I will personally due to being immune compromised, I don't believe wearing them should be mandatory but do fear there's going to disputes over this, sarcasm etc. I'll deal with that appropriately if it does happen.

If I'm being totally honest and mindful Omicron has not be as severe as Delta, new cases are stubbornly high and that is a concern.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GeneralMudkip

"Evident Logic" coming from where? There have been plenty of studies which prove that masks are very effective at limiting the transmission of Covid through the air.

You exactly prove my point. If people had more sense, we'd never have needed to make them mandatory because people would have just been responsible and wore them.

Where are you getting your medical advice from? How about the vaccine? Did ya refuse to get the vaccine as well because Dr. Nicki Minaj released the findings of her paper on twitter that her cousin's friend's balls swelled up and his fiance called off the wedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No

The amount of times I've forgotten mine and had to back to get one. No more of that from Monday!

Happy this announcement came today because I was getting really fed up with them and was considering just not complying to wear them in the supermarket particularly any longer, but no need for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

No

If I have to go to hospital I’m sure they’ll have a mask lying about somewhere. Not planning to travel anytime soon, hopefully masks will be gone from everywhere by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No

I've known people who were visiting hospital or attending them an they were given one at the door. If they were wearing a cloth mask they were given a medical one.

However I wouldn't depend on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

No

Parrots quoting parrots describes most pro-restrictions discourse, with an overuse of canned phrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Yes in all situations.

I have an immunocompromised person in the house so i will be wearing a mask for the foreseeable future. I understand younger people in particular not wanting to wear the masks anymore and healthy people who don't have sick relatives. A lot of people are not going to wear the masks now thats unavoidable. All i would ask of those people is to recognize that people who are still wearing them are likely doing it to protect themselves or an ill relative. So just give them a bit of consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I will be wearing one in some circumstances as there are immunocompromised people close to me but I would not expect anyone else that doesn't have or want to at this stage to wear one .

I will be wearing a fp95 or a surgical face mask for shorter hops because they do work.

No

Few different reasons, some probably considered selfish, some for the good of the kids.

Never agreed with masking kids, that it took 17 months of a pandemic to decide to mask kids up on the whims of a few “health campaigners” on social media. The science clearly wasn’t there, it wasn’t only discovered in Nov 21. I’ve said in other threads, masking kids hits the quiet, shy, nervous and reserved children. They have become quieter in recent months, fluency and expression etc has changed in a bad way; hopefully this will correct itself in a few weeks. Teachers and kids read and understand a lot in schools (usually) from facial expressions, visual cues, ‘the look’. All that has been gone. I don’t even want to imagine what it’s been like for the deaf community.

I also thought in schools, it was a charade. Pure theatre. The kids had to wear a mask all day learning. Yet for their two breaks numbering 30 mins, apparently Covid disappeared as the masks could come off!

Selfishly, they are a pain in the hole to teach with. You’re stretching your voice to the point your nearly shouting so kids can hear you at a reasonable level. Again, is Covid not going to get me when I’m eating lunch in the same building, when I pull it down to have a drink etc.

With regards to schools, we’ve got the air filters, we’ve the windows open, the staff are all vaccinated, the kids have all been offered a vaccine at the very least, after that, just leave us be and get on with things in a normal school way. Let us smile.

(just to add - the mask wearing in our schools fell off a cliff in mid January - once everyone who had had Omicron around xmas/NY were back in)

To be fair, your own "proof" that masks don't help with covid is that a survey of surgeons found that 4% of respondents said they didn't bother wearing masks during surgery. I'd say that was pulled right of Facebook (or maybe Dr. Minaj again?)

Even though, despite your medical knowledge, you kinda don't bother to consider that a patient under general anaesthetic will be wearing an oxygen mask and neither be breathing in the surgeons air, not would the surgeon be breathing in the patient's air.............

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

No

I answered no because I won't wear them in crowded places, but I will probably grab one when I'm going to the doctors' from now on.

Not because of covid necessarily, but because I've caught a cold more than once sitting in a doctor's waiting room for routine blood tests. It makes sense to me to mitigate against the sort of droplet-borne infections that land people at the doc's.

I suppose one good thing to come out of all this, if I must grudgingly admit it, is that immunocompromised people who are at risk from more than just covid will be more able to, or less self-conscious about, wearing high-quality N95-type masks to attend concerts and so on.

As for other people, I couldn't care a jot whether they wear three masks or none. Whatever makes them feel better as long as they're leaving me alone.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

No

Why would you mandate something that clearly doesn’t work? These face masks clearly zapped whatever little oxygen goes to the rational side of some people’s brains. Read it slowly so you can take it all in- Masks do not work.

No

We’ve had strict mask mandates for a long time in Ireland in almost all areas- our Covid cases are repeatedly amongst the highest in the world. Do you honestly think if they, ahem, “worked” that would be the case. Any proper peer reviewed study I’ve seen had shown them for what they are- an extremely marginal benefit and that’s if worn 100% and medical standard. Masks are dead and come Monday you’ll see very few bothered wasting their time with them

You mandate it to protect the slow learners from themselves. The ones who can't get their head around the fact that a filter which stops an infectious person coughing out a respiratory virus might actually help them not to catch it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

No

You're misrepresenting what I said even after I clarified. Is that all you've got, deliberately misreading posts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement