Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Latest gusts

Malin head 133km/h

Mace head 124

Finner 119

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Dazler97

And yet wind gusts could be a tad stronger in the next hour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The noise of the wind woke me at 2.00. and it takes a lot to wake me!

Honestly the worst (noise-wise) gusts I've heard since 1998.

Seems to have settled slightly again but the worst gusts are frightening.

Hope the damage isn't anywhere near as bad as the noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Going to be some damage around in the morning. Will be some amount of giving out done on the radios up here in regards to the warnings. I am just happy it hit this hour of the night and not when people were going about there daily day because many would of been caught out badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

I'm midlands and I would consider very violent gusts so way out West they surely will wake to all the trees gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Haven’t slept a wink here in north KK with the wind. Definitely as bad if not worse than Friday and it’s been gusting hard since 6/7 pm. Also had more rain today than the last 6 months put together I reckon. Downpours interspersed with heavy showers all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Baybay

Astounded OH sleeping through this. Snoring of a magnitude almost, but not quite enough to drown out what sounds like every roof tile dancing a jig up there. Coastal Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hypericum

Definitely no getting to sleep tonight.

Fairly bad storm and I'd say there will be some damage come daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Where is it focused currently? The gusts up here are mad.

Thankfully it is the middle of night and most are in bed otherwise you'd expect loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

check out windy.com, always a good site when the winds are up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Meath is getting an almighty seeing to here tonight…and it’s only yellow…it’s an orange at least out there.

can’t sleep with the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭Xander10

Same location. Awake since 3 am with the noise 100 times worse than Eunice and no warning for here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Franklin was always hyper competitive with Eunice growing up. We all should have seen this coming.

But seriously this Storm reminds me of a storm way back in the early 90s, it to lasted for an unusual length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Am I right in saying that Malin head speed is more than what cork got during its red warning during the week? Someone might be able to correct me 😄

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wind picked up just when i was outside again, actually staggered in a gust even though i was staying as stable as i could. More fool me to think it was calming down.. Take care out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Still blowing hard in East Clare woke me several times during the night which on its own its own is an accomplishment. Still have power thankfully would imagine there will be trees down after the night. Long time since I experienced such long sustained wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It certainly looks like ME called this one wrong. Was a lot stronger over a lot more of the country than they predicted?

Should definitely have been a few red warnings, plus more orange alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

Fairly strong winds in south Carlow but Eunice was far worse here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

There's a lot of people leaving from donegal tonight to head back to work. My dog is 8 and never unsettled by a storm but I've got no sleep between the wind and him freaking out. West donegal coast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I actually believe that the warnings for Franklin are about right. It's just that Eunice and other storms were overdone and no doubt influenced by pressure from different bodies and media hype.

The stats show that, away from very coastal stations like Mace and Malin Heads (the latter's anemometer being at a non-standard height of 18 metres), winds have been broadly in line with warning thresholds. For many the wind sounds bad after a very quiet period but the reports don't back up higher warnings. In my case, it woke me up a little while ago but nearby Casement still only reported gusts to 51 knots. The direction just happens to be on my window.

We need to get away from the hype of other storms.

For the record, the highest gust at Sligo Airport (on the coast) ended up 69 knots (128 kph) just before 3 am.

SPECI EISG 210250Z AUTO 28040G69KT 5000 HZ FEW014 BKN031 OVC060 07/03 Q1000=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

That was one desperate night here in SW Donegal. There's no question it should have been a red warning in my eyes, ,you definitely couldn't go outside in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭malinheader

RTE this morning giving more warning about Franklin now it's passed. Was it because it was the weekend that there was no media hype. Definitely as bad a storm as I have heard for a good while

I seen a stat of 133 kph for Malin Head. Definitely this or even more between 1am and 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

no threat to Dublin or Cork, so not much about it

Seems to be like that alright. Also all the celebrity presenters would of been off for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Woke up at 3am to some ferocious gusts, could actually feel the rumble in the bed. The joys of a dormer house.

Pretty rough event for west Mayo, certainly high end orange and a lot stronger than any recent storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭4Ad

Two people here in Clare said they woke around that time to a loud rumble also..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

Also woke just before 3am and so did the poor dog. Shortly after that, every gust lifted a sheet of galvanise on the shed roof so not much sleep since between it and the dog. 😐

Advertisement