Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Franklin - Sunday 20th/Monday 21st Feb 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't honestly remember the last time I felt wind so strong as I have felt this evening. Walking across the town car park the wind nearly took the feet from under me several times. I kept well away from anything moving like shop signs as i was worried they might come crashing my way. Mayo here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mickyfitzy2

Quite stormy here in Inishowen. As squally as we've had in quite some time. I'd s say easily gusts of 110Kph where I am 15 miles south of Malin head. 100m ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Somebody's missing out on the storm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Gone from gusty to stormy at times here in carrick on Shannon, I'm gonna charge my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Same. Big heavy iron fire pit that normally takes two men to shift has just launched itself into the neighbours backyard. I can only hope it hasn't damaged anything en route. :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Throw on the kettle we will have a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

I feel like I've just won the lotto! Avid follower of this forum for years. This is my first time ever in Donegal, I'm experiencing this storm here tonight. Makes me want to pack up tomorrow and move here from the sunny SE! Absolutely ferocious out there, I could listen to it all night. In awe of this beautiful part of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Bringing back memories; flew into Dublin on that evening late (wasn't pleasant), Dad had to change a flat tyre in the airport carpark 😅 The long drive west in the wee hours: heading to east county Galway, there wasn't a lights to be seen anywhere from about 20 minutes out. Home to a freezing house no power for two days.... Brrrrrrr 🥶 something to be said for an open fire 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Actually may have spoken to soon. Ferocious gusts in SW Donegal now. I just heard a big clatter of something blowing over in the wind. Something metallic. Could be a corrugated iron sheet .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

Ryanair flight into Cork tonight, must've been a few nervous pax on board. Landed nearly an hour after the first attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I'm scared if spiders (among other things) and in Ireland, they are probably less likely to do you harm than a serious storm. I'm not 3 1/2, but if you want to make fun of me for it go right ahead.

Been a mostly wet and windy day in South Dublin (I saw no snow here). Hopefully everyone stays safe and warm enjoying the storm from indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Now picking up at Donegal Airport at midnight. Gust of 61 knots in the past 10 minutes, well up on previous reports.

METAR EIDL 210000Z AUTO 28046G61KT //// // OVC027/// 06/04 Q0992=

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hypericum

Based outside Letterkenny here and I remember that storm well. The roof blew off our house !!

Tonight is rough and I'm hoping it doesn't get any rougher🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Very windy here in county Limerick.

Now picking up at Belmullet too. 32 gust 60 knots. That swathe of strongest winds now hitting the northwest.

Satellite winds at 22:08.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,825 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Out in it there, glad it's not currently raining, damage i temporarily fixed last night still holding but if these gusts keep up.... Galway city(ish)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Holidaying in Spanish point at the moment. Couple of flashes of lightening earlier. Pretty strong gust now. Wind has been fairly sustained over the past 12 hours.

Think the peack of the winds are between now and 4am for the northwest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭malinheader

Now this seems like a storm tonight. At a guess I would say we're well into 130 to 150 kmh territory at the moment. Deafening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Scary **** at the moment. Let the dog out for the toilet the roar if the wind unreal. Lights went out 1.25ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

1am Mean winds at Malin 91km/h red territory

Finner was 85km/h previous update.

Yes that is red warning territory anything over 80km/h mean

This is gusts currently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

How in gods name did this storm get less coverage than the Friday one?

Schools closed and loads of reports last week. I had to Google if this was expected tonight I heard nothing about it.

Genuinely worried therel be damage to the house by the time morning comes. Nevermind trying to get to sleep with the noise of it here in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Very windy here in North Cork way worse than Eunice I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,150 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe cos Friday one affected the entire country? If its west coast only, many folk aren't interested.

But still, its hard for the media/ME to deny their coverage/warnings were poor when the data shows that it was the worst of the 3 storms.

It's gotten very lively here again in carrick on Shannon very stormy now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ShawB

Yep, there goes 2 of my fence panels across the garden!! East Meath 😅.. Love that for me! Stay safe all!

Advertisement