Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kaycon

Definitely not encouraging to hear . I’ve friends and family in ags and the general consensus is what was mentioned above . Very short staffed in the majority of stations , it’s slightly alarming to be honest with you . Very micro managed system now a days . Which is most definitely not suiting older members , in regard to practicality . A very number driven job atm from what I’m hearing , “have this many stopped “ , “this many arrested “ . The reality in stations is not the reality that the media is portraying , I’ve been told it’s a “massive media spin “

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KaWinNee

For what its worth, this was emailed to me from career services

Initially those that have been ranked up to and including 224 will be called forward.  In our experience the Public Appointment Service has gone as far as and beyond 2000 in previous recruitment campaigns. While this is no indication of what will happen in this campaign, it is very likely they will call further batches beyond the first batch of 224. How far beyond and how many further batches remain to be seen, but there are 800 positions available in this recruitment campaign and they will likely need to invite many more than this through the subsequent stages to ensure those positions are filled appropriately. 

• Registered Users Posts: 12 coolsunflower00

"Highland Radio" posted a story with the title "Garda recruitment targets to fall short this year". It was posted 9 hours ago and I am not too sure how true it is but maybe that's where people may be finding the number of 200. In it, it says "It’s warning the 800 committed to by government won’t be met due to the levels of resignations and retirements". Yet again I am not too sure how reliable this source is but just in case anyone is wondering where this has come from as this is the only source I could find saying this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vinny312

Hi there,

I did the process this year. It was my first time applying. I just want to see and I got the place 3200 of 11.078. Do you this that I have any chance to be call for the 2 stage?

thanks,

Vinny

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vinny312

Hi guys,

I hope everyone are well.

I received my results of the Garda competition and I pass in all. My place of merit for the stage 1 are 3200 of 11078 wish. Do you think 🤔 that I can be call for the next stage? If anyone any any Idea please let me know your thoughts?

thanks in advance,

Vinny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Jemima38

edit:replied to wrong comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hally21

Possibly. I guess it will depend on how many batches they will need to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

In the spirit of positivity for those outside of the first 224 oom what are some reasons people might drop out at this stage. I'll start,

They were never really committed.

They are actually over age

They have a criminal conviction

They don't check their emails and know they are into next stage

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

@kaycon it's interesting to get another person's point of view on it and I think it's good to have a realistic view, good & bad of the job so we can make more of an informed decision about joining.

No more than yourself, I have friends & family in the job and more often than not, it's the negatives I'm hearing. In terms of systems, they're stuck in the dark ages which is just crazy, considering the job load & paper work.

I also didn't realise, you can't automatically jump into a patrol car & drive it when you've finished your training 🤷‍♀️ you have to be trained for that which can take years.. like how is somebody supposed to do their job without the basics of being able to drive a Garda car when doing investigations?! That makes no sense to me.

It seems like the job unfortunately is getting harder & busier but no resources to help Guards who are trying to do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dawnh451

Would anyone have any idea if you have young children is there any hope of getting a station closer to home or is it just purely luck of the draw? Thanks 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

From what I've been told, you can state a preference for a city to be stationed in. Roles within smaller and more rural stations are general reserved for ageing Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 NorthWestJ

the only city you can opt for is Dublin, other then that , if you have a welfare case, ie: mortgage , kids, family, sick family member who you care for, you will be accommodated and not be put over a hour from home

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Jimmy.james

Hi there,

Just wondering for anyone accepted into the first batch of 224 pending on their video analysis. Has anyone received word back since that?

I placed in the 224 category pending video verification but received nothing since then.

Same. Still waiting.

I'm a little bit anxious because I had no view of the recording window as I manoeuvred my camera around the room for the initial scan. It started recording while the recording window needed to be scrolled down to. I only copped that as the video finished, without having a view of what I recorded. Poor UI.

Yes mine started recording also as I was still reading what they wanted us to show during it and it eventually timed out before I showed the room scan. However I did refresh it as I saw a part you could click I to if you had problems with your recording and I took it again and uploaded that video to them. I can't see that being penalised as this was all done really before the exam even began. I hope anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Reece1233

You will eventually be called for stage 2 but probably not in June

i agree 100% . A lot of whom I’ve been speaking to are also older , times have changed dramatically since then , yet they seem to still be stuck in the “back then” ! It’s 1 year in a town before being allowed to drive , 2 years for a city I’m sure . You also have to be trained to drive the van for a speed chase let’s say , aswell as being authorised to turn on the lights . The van training is obviously necessary , the authorisation to turn on the lights , not so much .

As with every job there are highs and lows , a shame in a sense that the lows seem to be plentiful within AGS. It’s hard not to listen to it and also not take it on board , but it is what it is . The system is in dire need of reform , I just remind myself as to why I wanted to apply and let that drive me.

i agree 100% . A lot of whom I’ve been speaking to are also older , times have changed dramatically since then , yet they seem to still be stuck in the “back then” ! It’s 1 year in a town before being allowed to drive , 2 years for a city I’m sure . You also have to be trained to drive the van for a speed chase let’s say , aswell as being authorised to turn on the lights . The van training is obviously necessary , the authorisation to turn on the lights , not so much .

As with every job there are highs and lows , a shame in a sense that the lows seem to be plentiful within AGS. It’s hard not to listen to it and also not take it on board , but it is what it is . The system is in dire need of reform , I just remind myself as to why I wanted to apply and let that drive me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Corkbud97

Well lads / ladies,

As someone who’s been through the process, the college and a member going on 5 years, if anyone wants to reach out with any questions or get another persons insight into the job, drop me a private message I’d be happy to try be of some assistance. I remember how daunting the whole thing was to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JohnSmith98

Is the job as bad as some are making it out to be lol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Corkbud97

The short answer is no but everyone has their own opinion. There’s no doubt it’s a tough job but it’s not as bad as it’s being made out to be in my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seamie22

Has anyone from the 224 called to stage 2 gotten anymore information about dates etc..?

Hey I'm also in the first 224 and have heard absolutely nothing since the 18 of May. I'm assuming they have to tell us more info soon? Have you heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 seamie22

Nope, nothing yet. They said the assessment itself would be held early - mid June so I’d assume we’ll surely get some sort of information in the next week

Thanks for your input @Corkbud97. I hope you don't mind me asking you a question out in the open.

There is emphasis on a well-kept uniform yet I can imagine trudging around in all types of weather on the daily means wear and tear / hygiene is something you must be mindful of. In my head, most members probably need at least a fresh shirt every other day? Do you avail of a dry cleaning service at your station and keep spares in your locker? Or do you handle all of that at home yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Re: the age limit of 35, can you apply any time up to your 36th birthday or is there an actual cut off date?

As someone turning 35 in September, am I **** out of luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I’m fairly certain you were eligible to apply for the recruitment campaign in March then as you were only 34. If your 35/36 before you get in, I believe that’s ok. Just once you were under 35 when applying

I have been notified via public jobs regarding the Stage 2 assessment - Date Posted: Sunday 05/06/2022 13:48

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭leheaven

Just received an email about stage 2, so make sure to check your account. ID has to be verified over the next few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 dawnh451

I got an email to say there's a message on my message board regarding stage 2 but there's nothing there when i log in to public jobs

Advertisement