Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How long until we see €2 a litre and will it push more to EV's faster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The investment can be paid for, the cost of running is another story but we already pump millions each year into a not fit for purpose public transport system

Of course the alternative is to continue doing what Ireland has done for the last 100 years, that has worked out fantastically well hasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Euro has been kept afloat by a wall of quantative easing and low interest rates, at that growth has been woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,902 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The current level of our national dept, per income tax payer - that's income earners who actually pay tax - is €150,000 per head. You want to spend billions upon billions on your precious public transport, which means increasing that debt substantially. Well I don't - end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭maddness

I drove by earlier, €1.89 for both diesel and petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the only reason people flocked to diesel was because the government encouraged it, the equivalent diesel became a lot cheaper than the equivalent petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I just get money off pump price but it's 8c for me, 4 for the card and another 4 for a QR code. AXA and Circle K.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Going up again tonight.

JP Morgan said without a resolution to Russian oil or could hit 185 dollars by year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

hit €2 in Dublin somewhere yesterday, heard it on the radio, Newstalk! Was for premium mind not standard unleaded.

https://extra.ie/2022/03/03/news/irish-news/petrol-in-dublin-station-hits-record-high-of-e2-per-litre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Filled tank with diesel today, €1.77.9 in Flaherty Fuel Oil, Ferbane, Co.Offaly. I think that is the " cheapest" in my local area, nearest big town to me is Athlone, passed by four forecourts on the east side of town today all around €1.82.9 - 1.84.9, petrol 10 cent dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I filled her up with unleaded at the Applegreen on North Street in Swords on Monday paying 178.8c/L 50.81L cost me €90.85 in my brand new Ford Focus ST-Line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

I don't see why, the cost of electricity is soaring too.

If we get to the point where we're using renewables for our electricity then in theory* the cost of electricity should just be what it takes to produce the electricity and renew the hardware (panels / waves / factories / etc). At that point then yes its a no-brainer (though it still presents great problems for people like me who tow anything for a distance). Personally I think the EU's next project should be to exploit all renewables it can continent-wide, eg waves off Ireland, sun in Andalucia, wind in mountains and passes, you get the idea. Get to the point where we're self sufficient.

** I say "in theory" because the cynic in me says that it doesn't actually matter what power source we use, someone will say "ah but look you're damaging the <insert latest issue here> and you need to pay more money".

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 638 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Its quite expensive to get start on bikes (only did it recently) and surprise surprise insurance is even worse on 2 wheels. There are only like 4 insurance companies and they all take the absolute piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Paid €1.75 today, up about 7c on earlier this week but it was over 12c up in other service stations on very recent €1.68/€1.69. Also noticed (It could have been my imagination!) that a lot of cars were well under 100kph on M1, including me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

194.9 c a litre for petrol and diesel in Tullow Co. Carlow today. Diesel was 173.9 yesterday. 21c increase in 1 day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

Passed an applegreen in Drogheda at 1pm, petrol 187.8 diesel 177.8

Passed it again at 3.30pm, diesel had risen to 184.8 - ouch!

Sorry but you are part of the problem. Ireland has made a total balls of our transport system because we had so many people with “fix the road” attitude

Now look at the mess we are in, even worse now when someone tries to fix it the same people still want to fight against it. This whole thread proves that ireland is reliant on car in a time when fuel prices are going crazy, any party tries to change that or move to renewal and it’s the same old people standing in the way

sure we always done it this way, even my 70+ year old parents know it’s a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Driving home this morning, had 2 bars so needed to fill up this evening, passed Circle K in Kiltale and they were 1.77/diesel, made a note to call in and fill up on way in tonight, couldnt stop this morning as had to get home as wife needed car

Circle K outside Trim was 1.88

Left for work tonight, pulled into Circle K and it had gone up from 1.77 this morning to 1.93!

Filled the big yoke today, 1.95/ltr diesel

Cost 125 and it still had 1/4 tank. She will be running on that tank for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Everywhere in Naas this evening was 190c or more for both petrol and diesel, I'd suggest filling up if you see it for cheaper cause it won't be for long.

Why the sudden and enormous jump to parity with petrol for diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Shortage of fuel coming folks. Lad I know was telling me a supplier told him in a couple of weeks diesel won't be got.

It's already being rationed. 500l limit.

• Advertisement

Why the sudden and enormous jump to parity with petrol for diesel?

Global markets are shooting up in price. A barrel of Brent crude has gone from 94 to 114 in the space of 8-9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I heard differently on RTE today. It’s home heating fuel that’s being rationed NOT Road diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Diesel €1.69 in Inchicore this evening.

Yis are all in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It was green diesel. They are contractors.

Kerosene and green diesel is basically the same thing anyways.

Diesel might be cheap but even if free diesel I wouldn't go near the place :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Okay but in Your original You only said diesel.

An artic would need more that 500 litres of diesel anyhow for 1 fill. Hard to see just how Road diesel can be rationed, but these are strange times.

I saw a strange one in Dublin today. The Campus on East Wall Road was selling petrol & diesel for the same price €1.899/let ).

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

I'm afraid I'll be running my diesel into the ground before I'll even consider an EV and at that it will likely be a hybrid. Range anxiety is a real issue and as it stands, I can fill my tank and go over 800km. There's no budget or mid priced EV that cant get anywhere near that range at the moment. I heard on the radio today that the targets for EV's are already short... I'm not surprised.

That's your choice. At the moment the big diesel could be sold if I get the right deal and go both electric

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It's actually better for the environment to keep running existing cars than produce and deliver new ones.

• Advertisement

Exactly, dumping cars and replacing with new cars creates more CO2....at this stage running an old diesel into the ground will cause far less Co2

Advertisement