Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a PHEV?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Totally. I would have made the leap if the conditions had been right for me at the time. Looking now, as my circumstances have improved a little, if I was doing it again, I would get something like a Soul EV as that would definitely fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If you can install a home chargepoint I'd go full EV, 100km is nothing to a modern EV.

I looked into buying one but the reviews weren't great regarding the amount of time the engine kept cutting in particularly in town driving. The beauty of the superb is that I can switch off hybrid mode if the engine is running where I don't want it to (very rarely happens in fairness).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Exactly, every EV owner I know has a back up car as in diesel and petrol. We had a PHEV and an EV. We got rid of the EV.

The amount of times we couldn’t find a working charger or where other EV owners just parked the car the charging bays, some not even plugged in.

I will go EV in a couple of years, if things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You don't know a lot of EV owners then. More and more of them are switching to 2 EV households, now the range of even budget EVs has gone up to around the 400km mark. We switched over ourselves just under a year ago. Longer range EV as the family car, plus older very cheap EV that's a local runabout / commute car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

1 car, 1 EV household here.

The plan is that on the super occasional time that home charging supplemented by public charging isn't enough, we can rent a car for those periods. But in all honesty, we are not expecting that to happen at all regularly (like not even once a year on average).

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I know a fair few. Maybe the sample I am using is skewed (although it shouldn't as it is suburban Dublin where you would expect BEVs to be popular) but every house with an EV I pass while walking the dog also has an ICE. Hard to find data on this at a national level. Would you have any data as would be interested in seeing it?

That is a good plan to have in mind the car rental option. Use it occasionally myself as there are times when we both need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, always worth considering. It was part of our logic when we went from 2 cars to 1 car. And it’s actually remarkable how rarely you genuinely need to rent a car, but the savings of not having a 2nd car would pay for a lot of car hire!

I don't have any data, but obviously there are far more households with 1 EV and 1 ICE than there are with 2 EVs 😁

The market penetration of EVs in Ireland is still very low. From my own observation though (and going by the regulars in here), many of the innovators who got their first EV say 5-7 years ago, now are 2 EV households. It's natural progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

The fuel cost savings already largely achieved with one ev plus other practical issues make it a bit more difficult to move second car to ev in our house. But we hate driving the Q5 now. ID.3 is always first choice. And needing to charge in the journey wouldn’t change that

• Advertisement

See it everywhere. People have 2 ICE, then buy an EV as a replacement for the second car. Both partners soon prefer driving that and it's only a matter of time before they want to become a 2 EV household. Practicalities and budget can of course delay this a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We are an EV + ICE (petrol), and I'd say there is a fair chance when it comes to change the petrol we will go to a PHEV, as both our commutes should be able to be covered by the small battery.

Don't think ready for 2 full EVs just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,261 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well the ID.3 was replacement for the commuter car rather than the ‘second car’. I’d be embarrassed to drive the Q5 in Dublin. But there are times we wish the ev had a bigger boot. It’s Perfect otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭eagerv

We bought a lower range (200 odd km) 28kWh Ioniq over 2 years ago as a second car. Worked well for about 90% plus of our normal journeys and found we were using my ICE less and less. Then one and a half years ago I traded in my ICE for a ID.3 1st because of the value for first movers.

We would probably be above average mileage users, but have never had to wait at a charge point or had any sort of range anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The vast majority of car owners in Ireland could easily survive and go about their normal motoring lives with a full EV, but I still get the people telling me they couldn't live with an EV if it could only do 200miles, despite the fact they rarely leave the town. Just because they go to the airport once a year.

And the funny thing is that nearly nobody in Ireland fills their petrol / diesel car up to the brim. Last time I was filling up at a petrol station (5 years ago LOL) most people seemed to put in €20. That gives far less range than any modern EV 🤣

The point I am making though is that it is much easier for a two car household to dip their toes in the EV experiment than it is for single car households. I use the word experiment as it is still seen as a big step for the majority.

I would agree with your point that those second cars will no doubt convert into EVs particularly when PCP terms are up or it becomes time to change.

I have always filled my tank to the brim at the petrol station. Don't see the point putting in a 10 or 20.

At the moment, putting in 20 will only get you from pump 3 to pump 5!!

Indeed. FWIW, over 5 years ago I bought a 28kWh EV as our only family car. It was very efficient but had about half the range of most new EVs today. It was fine, even on longer journeys.

Fair play. The Ioniq is a fantastic EV by all accounts. Would have had no hesitation in buying one of those if it suited our usage and certainly would have one as a second car.

The hybrid and PHEV Ioniqs are also very well regarded.

• Advertisement

"The hybrid and PHEV Ioniqs are also very well regarded."

One of the first videos I saw of Ioniq before they were on sale in Ireland was from Bjørn Nyland. He was testing the electric. He had a picture with the three of them, pointed out the PHEV and HEV and said: "but you don't want those, you want this" pointing at the electric. That was back 6 years ago 😂 He was already spot on back then and he is most certainly right now.

😂 How many years are Norway ahead of us? 10?

Bjørn Nyland is very entertaining, would love to see him do some videos here in Ireland.

Ireland (and the rest of the world) are catching up fast. The current security situation finally brings it home to the last and most stubborn of the laggards that we all need to make the change pretty soon. Not just for the climate but also to finally wean ourselves off our addiction to the stuff that is mostly sold by dictators and brutal regimes.

Wind, sun and batteries is all we need really

I am surprised you think that Ireland and the rest of the world are catching up with Norway fast.

The current crisis may focus minds as you say. Security of energy supply, taxation and attractive EV offerings at the right price might be the combination needed.

The general public have not been convinced by environmental arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭creedp

Fine car and I wish I had spent an extra €3-€4k back in 2018 and bought one instead of a L30! However it's still a low range EV and fine if you dont do regular long journeys. I remember you saying that given the poor state of the public charge network you were reluctant to take it on journeys outside its range. A neighbour of mine bought a 2017 last year for €19k which was a fair chunk of change but he regularly bemoans the fact that he wishes it had that extra bit of range so that it covered more of his journeys.

Absolutely. It was fine in 2017. But there was a surge in sales of EVs in 2018 (mainly the new model Leaf) and charging was still free, which combined with the poor state of the ESB network (and no others around either) meant you could be stuck waiting for hours if you were unlucky. This got a bit better when the charging for charging came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

quick rant

blanchardstown centre only has 1 type 2 charger , yet my local tesco has 2

think about that

rant over

All AC chargers in town were occupied yesterday afternoon, including that Muppet in the Enyaq who insists on using the AC charger when they could use the DC cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I can quite happily pootle along in full EV mode until the battery runs out. The hybrid mode is only active when the battery state of charge gets below 17% or you look for more power than the electric motor can provide. It will run in full EV even at motorway speeds if you let it but for long trips, I usually switch to Hybrid mode and reserve the battery until I am near my destination

There is a button to switch Hybrid mode on and off near the gear shift in my car, so it sounds similar to the Superb. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

blanch type 2 connection was being used by a renault zoe owned by apache pizza 😡

Advertisement