Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should I buy a PHEV?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

no but nearly mounted a few taxi drivers parking in ev spots then blatently pretending they didn't know lol

8 weeks this friday and only €60 petrol in that time and €17.38 in esb charges , rest of the time lidl free charge :)

if i had my GTD is have spent €480 on diesel and €80 on oil ( was burning oil somewhere and costing me €40 a month ) so €560 for the gtd over 8 weeks against €77 for Tuscon , so a saving of €483 over 2 months , which would be €2900 over a year and €8700 over the 3 year pcp , so ............ its amazing to drive thats the answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

60km

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

@Eircom_Sucks, what mileage have you up on it so far?

Getting 60km range in my Kia Ceed PHEV as well. Didn't expect to be getting that, thought it would be somewhere between 40-50kms- really impressed with the battery.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hi all,

Thought I'd hi-jack the thread slightly then create a new one as its in the same "PHEV vs EV" vein.

Basically looking at getting a new (or newish) car with baby on the way- thinking Kona or similar but unsure of the engine.

Mostly Dublin short city driving with a trip to Galway (210km odd) to the folks once a month.

Current considerations

39kW Kona - Would be fine majority of the time but wouldn't get to Galway in one go?

64kW Kona - Should do above and longer trips with ease?

Hybrid - If we can get ~50km when fully charged this would likely do us for all the short journeys so petrol just for the longer spins.

58kW Ioniq 5 - More expensive but range should still fit the bill and a newer model

Looking at other threads it seems 2019 64kW Kona's are/were the value sweet spot, has this changed?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

1st thought, kona might be a bit small for your needs?? Do not underestimate the amount of equipment, bags etc you will be horsing around with a child.

Can't speak to range of Kona...

Have 2 kids ( 1 and 3) myself, went for 58kwh ioniq 5. Tonnes of space for buggies and stuff (with minimal removing of wheels etx). Re range, I'd say you'd be fine most of the time but you'd need a full enough charge leaving at either end to be able drive how you like en route. I haven't driven extensively at 120kph though, but at the 90 to 100kph ypu do on the m50, 210km would be grand with some to spare.

Hyundai IONIQ 5 (72,6 kWh): 261 km @ 130 kph, you want to buy the lower kWh version so less range, you will need a charge to get back, say 30 kWh @ .45 euro= 13.5 euro + original charge of 4 euro at home.

you would get a tucson phev for around the same money, using eircom sucks figures (which seem high to me of 8l/100 km) with 2 euro a litre same trip would cost 64 euro in petrol, thats not including any kms in EV mode and no hanging around for 20 to 30 minutes.

Its hard know, I myself buy 2nd hand so any EV is short range and phevs cover most of my daily needs, the monthly trip like you, I just suck it up than deal with 2 or 3 charge stops plus my toyota does 5l/100km and the outlander done 7l/100km so less expensive.

I think with phev's you have to accept some petrol usage, yesterday I done a 2nd unexpected trip after the school run, had I known about it I could have done it on electricity but used some of my petrol and got 2.1l/100 km

hyunday tuscon phev

i put €30 in the last 5 weeks

60km on full charge

amazing to drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭sh81722

Are you planning to do the Galway trips as day trips? If not you could charge the car overnight from a regular wall socket with the included granny charger. I suspect both Ioniq and Kona could do the trip without breaking a sweat if you drove at 120 km/h max. Tesla Model 3 RWD would also be a great contender.

I would currently not buy any EV apart from Tesla if you need to rely on the public network even semi-regularly. For Tesla the Galway route will be really well served once ESBN gets the Athenry Supercharge site connected to the grid. This will happen in next couple of weeks I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hi all, thanks for the replies - wont quote them all as not a fan of the new site quote functionality

We're going to look at Kona tomorrow so will check the space situation as mentioned - first child here.

Will look at the Tuscon PHEV while we are at it too - seems to suit our needs quite well tbh.

Would likely be staying in Galway a few nights so not a day trip and charging a definite.

Lots to consider but hopefully I'll have a better idea after tomorrow!

@B00MSTICK, are you limited to a crossover/SUV or would you consider an estate?

Advantages are more space and efficiency but costing less. Obvious options would be:

Kia Ceed SW PHEV

MG5 EV

Toyota Corolla Touring Sport (regular hybrid).

Showing my own personal bias towards estate cars but throwing it out there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

You mention you’ve a baby on the way, you might find the charging network and a screaming baby at the same time a bit of a challenge.

Careful now. You will have the EVangelists preaching to you on how the charging network is now wonderful and that you won't need it anyway as you will be charging from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

The Kona is too small Id say. MG5 EV could be well worth a look.

could you plug into a regular socket in Galway?

as for the baby you usually have to stop 500 times a journey anyway. It used to take us a full day to get to Kerry. ( pre ev)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah, another one on the screaming baby you need to stop anyway buzz. Alsp never going to petrol stations is great. Young kids are a trek at petrol stations. However, where it could be a bit annoying is when baby is sleeping you have to stop.

Also preheating means no faffing with coats and blankets on a cold day

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Max H

As a matter of interest, have you driven your Tucson on a long drive, say 200km at motorway speeds, and as a result, what sort of fuel consumption did you get. We are test driving in the next few weeks, and have always had diesels, but we regularly at weekends drive from Wexford to Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Just picked up on this thread yesterday and found it really interesting. I have a Peugeot 3008 automatic - it was being serviced on Friday and I was given a 3008 PHEV to test drive. Dammit, I loved it! I do a mix of long drives to a mobile home in Wexford, and town driving at home in Dublin...... I find big difference in my petrol consumption depending on whether I am in Dublin or Wexford. There won't be a charger in the mobile home park, but a charger at home would be fine. I can see why people like driving electric so much - I really loved it, but as I am in a one-car household and am 70+ I won't even consider a BEV......I'm too old for range anxiety! Like Max H, I'm wondering what the consumption is like on a long motorway journey for a PHEV.

@Max H @VIE @vienne86 I didn't take note of the last over 200km trip when battery was 'empty' (at 13% as still works as a 'self charging' hybrid) .

However from the read out on the dash when I did a 65 km trip with an 'empty' battery - mix of roads including some motorway, it showed 4.1 litres per 100km. Now an SUV/Crossover will likely be harder on fuel but that I will give you an idea that PHEVs aren't going to be a robber on the occassions when you will need to fill up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for this Killer. I didn't think it would be self-charging when the battery is empty/near empty. I thought if the battery was empty your driving would be dragging the battery along......this was what the Peugeot salesman implied when I quizzed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a Kia Niro PHEV. The overall consumption since I got it, a bit less than 2.5 years ago is 3.6 l/100km. For long mixed motorway / N / R road trips it'd be around the 4.7 - 5.0 range, starting with a full battery. Local trips would be anything from 0.0 to 3 or 4 depending on whether the engine had started up to provide heating.

One thing to remember is that on a PHEV, even when the battery is "empty" and showing 0km EV range, the remaining battery capacity is still much higher than any normal HEV. So even then, if conditions are right, you'll still get periods where it is running in EV mode especially if you have a light foot.

He isn't entirely incorrect. The petrol engine will send some of the excess energy generated to the battery and it will run on battery only for very short periods, e.g. when you are moving slowly in traffic through a town or coasting on the motorway.

There is also the option (button to press) for the engine to fully charge the battery on longer runs, however, this isn't a cost effective way of fully charging the battery as your MPG will go way up.

Another tip is you can save your battery and run on ICE (or battery saving mode) on a motorway where the battery will deplete quicker. You could then put back into EV mode for local roads where battery will last longer. Therefore spending more time in EV mode!

If the above seems like too much messing about, just don't do anything apart from plug it in and the car will figure out the rest itself.

One other thing - regarding the Peugeot 3008 PHEV. There is a thread on here started by a guy who has had a lot of difficulty with his (apparently difficulty caused by the small 12v battery and it going flat). It seems to be a common issue. Therefore it would be no harm to look at/consider other similar sized PHEVs like the Tucson before making any final decision.

👍Really helpful post Killer. I'm happy to be 'messing about'. But I'll check out the Peugeot thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

For those questioning how fuel economy is in a PHEV with an empty battery I recently did a very interesting run.

Car: 2021 Golf GTE, ~60km WLTP range.

I drove from Dublin to Dusseldorf and back, a total distance of around 2100km, to help a friend move (long story, don't ask).

I left my apartment in Dublin with a full charge (51km indicated), drove to the airport to pick up my friend and then drove to the port to grab the ferry to Holyhead. I filled the tank in Holyhead as I had let it run down to near empty before leaving.

I then drove from Holyhead to Birmingham, about 300km, where I stopped for roughly 30-45 minutes for food. I had about 6km range remaining. There was a charger in the Tesco carpark nearby so I plugged into that which gave me about 10km extra range (the joys of a 3.6kWh onboard charger).

Another 300km to Ashford where I stayed overnight. About 640km total driving that day and my fuel consumption was 4.9l/100km. The battery ran flat about 2km from the hotel, which had a charger but the hotel did not know how to activate it so no luck there.

Next day, drove the 20km to Folkestone and got the Eurotunnel to Calais. Filled the tank again (it took about 35 litres) and drove 200km to Brussels. Stopped for 40 minutes for food, plugged into a charger and got roughly 12km range. Back on the road, 200km to Dusseldorf where I got a little more petrol (10ish litres at an eye-watering €2.30/l).

Got to Dusseldorf, packed up the car and immediately turned around to do the same trip. 200km to Brussels, stopped at a McDonald's but couldn't charge as it requires you to have an access card, battery flat by this point again. Another 200km back to Calais. I took of picture of the dash at this point for reference. Of note is that despite starting with an empty battery and only getting a 12km charge in during the day, I covered 120km on electric power alone.

Once back in England I filled the tank again and back to the hotel. Left the next morning on an empty battery, drove the 600km back to Holyhead (with 15km charge gained in Birmingham). Fuel consumption was 5.3l/100km. Again over 10% of the journey done on battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Spot check on the Superb, filled with petrol on the 11th of February, 1300km done, gauge showing half a tank, €45.44 spent on electricity all done at home, I'm very happy with that, €80 drop in insurance too. Battery range has taken a hit again with the return of the cold weather I'm probably getting about 35km to a charge now, during the brief sunny period I was getting the high 50's, it's still very cheap motoring. Had to put diesel in a works vehicle last week, god it's stinking disgusting stuff I certainly don't miss it😉

Should I fix my phev.

Some muck got into the charger plug, I sent it home and the result was I broke the tiny bit of plastic (the pen is pointing to it )off the holder for the pins on the car port, so unable to charge because no contact.

It did not take much force always been stiff

@kanuseeme So you disconnected the charger plug from the OBC? I am surprised that came off so easily (or at least assuming it did)

Were you off roading that you managed to get muck in there..

Big car, plenty of power and cheap motoring. That's a pretty good combination..

• Advertisement

@PaulRyan97 That's a super post. I take it you also had a fairly packed/heavy car on the way back and doing fairly decent speeds?

Also, you say you 'left my apartment'. Do you having charging facilities there or are you confined to public charging for everyday use? -assuming you don't do trips to the continent regularly!!

Advertisement