Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you get your electricity bill yet? Was there a hike in the bill?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

305eur for 2 months period with me working from home (so electric heater on a few hours a day), family of 5 with 2 kids being older that have good habits of turning off lights when leaving the room etc,200sqm house.

60eur of it is charging EV at a night rate.

Compared to last years, 5.5% increase but I change suppliers every 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

We change supplier but with a busy house our bills were up to 400

We're going to get in PV solar this year. After grants it will cost about 9k and the payback is likely around 10 years, but it will help reduce the bills. It's not a complete solution, we will still largely be using gris electricity during Nov Dec and Jan, but the other months it will cover alot of the use

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Is there a list of units rates anywhere? Both as a new customer or existing?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

She could use the kettle on such a special occasion 😁 Do kettles really use a significant amoutn of energy that it would be a noticeable saving? I work from home and I'm sure I boil the kettle 4 - 5 times a day not including when I boil it, get distracted and have to boil it again. Mostly it only has as much water as I need in it and never full.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭jj880

Only boil the kettle on special occasions 😂😂 Think I'll leave that suggestion until next week - might ruin the mood on Valentines Day.

Someone once told me to boil a full kettle costs 10 cent. Must look into a meter that can be used on a socket to find out exactly. Could be useful to test every power hungry appliance to see where I can save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

My contract is up this month and I forgot to switch supplier. I am going to switch after I get my bill in 2 weeks.

I am dreading what it's going to cost now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Are we getting the two hundred euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Those electric heaters can be very inefficient, especially the small fan heaters, almost like running a kettle for some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Got mine over the weekend, Electric Ireland, pleasantly surprised but I had made an effort to watch usage in anticipation of price increases. A €10 increase since last Bi Monthly Bill.

Full disclosure, I don't use electricity for heating (Thankfully), I've an LPG gas hob for cooking , and live alone so have greater control over usage unlike a family etc.

Had I choosen one of Electric Irelands smart tariffs after smart meter was installed, I reckon I'd have been looking at much higher bills as a low usage customer.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Once you boil only enough water that you are going to use kettles dont cost all that much. I timed my kettle for 2 cups worth and it takes two minutes, the kettle is 2800 watts so at 20 cents a unit it costs 1.86 cents to boil two cups. Its basically just under a penny a minute that the kettle is boiling. Would do that three times a day so over a two months/60 day bill the 6 cents per day adds up to about 3.60 per bill which is hardly excessive. However Ive a family member who almost fills up their kettle just for one cup, doing that is a waste of money (and time as it takes much longer to boil)

If you want to test your appliances for electricity usage then ask at your public library, they have energy saving kits that are free to lend out and that includes a power meter so you can find out what appliances are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I would boil the kettle for tea at least 6 times a day with two of us here. I would also boil a kettle to make stock, gravy, soup etc., etc., all through the week. However I had the bright idea to make a mark on the side of my kettle to make sure that I only fill up to exactly the amount I need whether it be one cuppa or two, or half a pint/litre or whatever I require. My kettle only shows cup measurements so I find the mark handy.

I'm intrigued to know that public libraries have energy saving kits!!! That is news to me, so I googled it and amazingly it's true. Many thanks for that little nugget of information, it's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Got mine last week €248. 200sqm. I looked at my bill when I signed up I was roughly on €0.17 cent and now €0.28 cent all within contract. I switched to another provider who were offering roughly €0.17. To add insult to injury my old provider e..er…g…a rang me back today as I was out of contract on the 21st.02 and we’re offering €0.17 cent rate or matching my new provider. To me it’s baffling. They are able to increase your rate multiple times during your contract and then when you spilt offer you the original price. I told him to go F..k off but sure the next crowd will do the same.

Its the same with every bill. I happened to look on bonkers.ie the other day. Best I could get was 2c per unit off there so maybe 100 euro per year so not bad. Might try to get Electric Ireland to match it.

But when I looked at fixed line broadband + phone I nearly took weak. Digiweb have a bundle with same as I have now PLUS unlimited calls to UK landlines and mobiles for 33% less than what Im paying with vodafone. I will be leaving if vodafone dont match it. Its a 250 euro saving over 12 months.

So long as you are only filling the kettle with as much as you will use the cost really isnt all that much. But people who are filling it up and just using one cups worth are wasting money. A kettle is a high wattage item but as it is only being used for 2-3 minutes at a time it doesnt cost all that much. Other high wattage items like tumble dryers or dishwashers are running for a lot longer and do rack up the costs. The only way to negate that is to try to use them after 11pm if you have a night rate meter. But I wouldnt advise going to sleep while its running, those appliances can and do go on fire, not very often but they are a risk nonetheless.

AFAIK every public library now has these energy savings kits you can borrow but dont expect to be able to get one straight away, my local has a 2 month waiting list. But Im on it a month now so I should be getting an email in late March to say it is ready to collect.

Also a few (but not all) public librares have radon gas testing kits available to loan out. Radon is a gas that can cause cancer for those living in houses where there are high levels of it. My local doesnt have them yet but hopeufully they will in the future. A radon test would cost you over 200 euro to get done by an engineer or surveyor so to be able to do it yourself for free is great. I know Wexford library has them but more should be added in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

€135 for two months. Prior cycle was €130 so not much in the difference.

2 adults, both of us home all day 95sqm. Use gas for heating everything else runs of electric. I am seen some crazy usage here honestly eye watering seen some people saying there bills are north of 300!

Our gas bill is about 120 every two months and it's on all day as I work from home. I suppose we have smart TRV's so each room has it's own schedule so no room is ever over heated which must contribute to our low usage.

My bill went down by around 30% after installing a heat pump, it is delivering me 2-3KWs of heat for every 1KW of electricty I pay for whereas before the ratio was 1 to 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I signed up to switch from EI to BGE on Feb 1st, and gave my meter reading on the online switch form. I have just been emailed by EI to say my final bill is available. It appears the switch did not go through until 15th February, so I have received a bill for 18 days - €46! I have only just paid a bill for just over €150 for the Nov-Jan bill!

It's the same period last year you need to compare against not two periods in a row. My bill is similar to yours now, but this time last year was under 90

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭apache

Got my gas and electricity bills the same day. Electricity was fine but gas was higher than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭newhouse87

newhouse, connected to electric on 24jan, used 1185 units it says from then until3rd march, bill over 300euro, 267 when discount applied, how is that possible, all that is going in the house is underfloor heating running off the air to water pump and heat recovery system, surely this seems excessive? Wont be moving in for another 2 months. Energia im with. Says actual read out from meter on bill.

• Advertisement

I dont know much about air to water but that would scare the sh!t out of me. Can you turn off the whole system for a week and take a metre reading before and after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Post edited by fun loving criminal on

We got a whopper of a bill in January and it finally pushed me to switch provider which I'll try and do every year now. Got a 26% discount rate for switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have heard that the ashoop uses a lot of power the first month or so but later it goes back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Got a text this morning that im now €1.49 IN CREDIT. Didn't get the bill yet so I'm thinking the €200 government 'credit' has kicked in & my bill will be €198.51?? No doubt the bill will arrive tommorow

• Registered Users Posts: 26,934 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

That's a surprise, I didn't expect the credit to be paid until April, I just logged into my EI account nothing yet but they've this attached to my account 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭sporina

2 bed house... 1 working from home so kettle on the boil a lot.. €190 for the last 2 mths.. same period last yr was €112!!!!!

• Advertisement

I was wrong there.......got bill/ email today ( energia) @ €241.....still no idea what that text was about.....weird

Advertisement