Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you get your electricity bill yet? Was there a hike in the bill?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Unless the rest of Europe has had larger increases than here over the past 6 months it does not look as if they are. First 6 months of 2021 we were the 4th. most expensive in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Is there any energy suppliers that will fix their prices for a year that are worth switching to? I normally switch every year but since switching last year and getting all the increases in rates, what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

I've been with the ESB and naturally ending up with Electric Ireland for 30+ years.

I read a few articles over the last 10 years about how switching makes 'sense' and 'saves' YOU money.

Ah, I don't think so and I don't believe so - read the thread above for some stories on that.

I might be a 'fool' for a year or two overpaying, then I might be 'great' for a year or two underpaying, but you know?? We'll all end up paying the same, regardless.

https://youtu.be/MTQJhnA46UA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

If you're with electric ireland for 30 years I can 100% guarantee you, you're paying way over the odds for your electricity. If you're so sure you're not please post your Electric Ireland bill here and we can all see the unit rate you're paying!

Yeah, go back a page there, I think I have two or three posts on this topic.

So, What makes you so sure that I am paying way over the odds?

What are you paying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Mine was around €300, I blame the missus for boiling a full kettle of water everytime just to make a cup of tea

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I'm lazy so don't really keep an eye on fuel bills. Saw an email today and clicked it and it said 222 euro. I thought ok is that for electricity and gas, so went on to my provider and to my horror this was only for electricity, the gas bill was 124 euro on top of that. Took a look at the years averages and its way way up. Absolutely shocking but hey Mehole is giving us a 100euro so its all good.

Because if you stick with the same company you get screwed. I was with Bord Gais last year and was on unit rate of 14.76c a unit until 28th December. At that point my 'new' customer rate changed to their standard unit rate of 23.48c a unit (so roughly 60% higher). I rang bord gais and they said they couldn't offer me a better rate now as I was no longer a 'new' customer and that they almost lose money at the 'loyalty' rate.

I've now moved to Electric Ireland for a rate of 17.74c a unit. I can pretty much guarantee that in one years time they will move me to a rate around 24c (assuming wholesale prices stay the same) and once again I won't be given any choice but to move again.

Further to that, a few months ago a friend of mine started to realise his electric bills were something he needed to look at. Much like you he hasn't moved companies in many years and was with Electric ireland as a legacy customer. His rate was something around 23c a unit (I can't remember precisely) and he was horrified when I told him I was paying 14.76c for the same service.

But, I'll say again, if you are absolutely convinced you are doing better than everyone else who actually works at getting the best rates whilst you do nothing, please just post your bill showing the unit rate, then there are no arguments and I will happily apologize for doubting you. Somehow I don't think that will happen though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

That is the price plan I was on, I've now switched to BGE, they have an offer on where the unit price is 16.08c per kWh (including vat), the standing charge is slightly dearer than EI but according to the bonkers website I'm saving 145e over the year.

Sounds like you're both making the best of the switching and fair play to you on that.

And, I'm happy the way I am.

Have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Average bill last year was €116, latest one is €144. That's a B3 two bed end of terrace with two adults and a 5 year old. I'm work from home while the missus still goes to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Am I reading right that providers can offer headline rates today for example to get new subscribers...then in a month or three months' time, just increase the rates by writing to each customer. Effectively charging what the previous incumbent was?

Smells like BAM construction type stuff with the children's hospital. Quote low, then increase charges during the contract.

Shouldn't the regulator build in rules that mid term contract changes don't simply release the customer from the agreement, but rather carry % compensation to the consumer for lost savings on the original contract.

Still no details on your unit or standing rates? You're addressing us from your posterior so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It's a tactic very common with mobile providers and internet providers. It releases you from contract usually ion those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,917 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You sign up to a variable rate, therefore the costs can go up/down during the contract period. The fixed rates disappeared a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the government are responsible for half the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Its a conspiracy in some way. You see the economy depends on people spending their regular large spends (food,utilities, insurances & other bits of paper). But now there is a big effort on to "decarbonise" so basically they don't want you burning 1000+ litres of oil every year but they still want the €1000-2000 to leave your account and be pumped around in the economy every year. So now we are seeing a lot of shuffling behind the scenes where they use the PSO levy and various price increases in order to swoop in and grab the potential savings to be had from switching from oil to heat pump before they're even realised.

The same will happen with the electric cars. Early adopters will be going around saying "look how much I'm saving" and the folk who jump on the bandwagon later on are going to be fleeced with "Electronic road pricing" (a form of virtual heavily taxed petrol for electric cars)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Haven't got mine yet (it comes in by email every two months) - and I am dreading it! 😥😕

And again! I posted all that on the previous page. Page 2, post numbers 43 and 47.

• Advertisement

Apologies, missed that somehow.

So you're paying 22.65c a kwh? But you're somehow arguing that you're doing better than people who switch every year like myself who's paying 17.65c a kwh? That means I'm paying ~30% less than you on my electricity bills... I'm confused now - either you can't do basic maths or I've totally missed some part of your argument.

Oh of course, it could just be that your happy to get ripped off by Electric Ireland by paying 30% more than other customers? 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

When there was a rumbling of this a few months ago, I went looking and got a better deal. I have gotten a deal that will see our bills be about 70 euros a year less it is worth looking around for a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Normally the discounted rate is guaranteed to be X% off the "Standard Rate" for a year. So if the Standard Rate goes up, so does your rate. But then so does everybody else's rate too, whatever supplier they're with or whatever percentage discount they're getting (although different suppliers may raise their rates at different times after an increase in the Standard Rate). You're still paying X% less than if your rate had reverted to the Standard Rate.

I'm not sure how the Standard Rate is calculated; But it seems to be the same across the entire sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Our bi monthly bill there on 25th Jan was €229 for 2 adults and 2 kids, the bill before that was €189 with Electric Ireland.

My husband is always on at me to switch providers, though I've been procrastinating about doing it but reading this thread has given me the kick in the arse to do it and I've saved us €100 a year with SSE Electricity. Only works out at about €16 less per bill but it's better in my pocket I guess.

My Gas and electric has been estimated for the last 18 months.

I'm afraid to ring the landlord to send me on the pics of the readings as I say I could owe an absolute fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes i got my bill today nearly twice as much as the previous bill 😯, although that could be due to Christmas as well

Post edited by fryup on

What was it compared to the same period last year. That's the important comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Drywall screw stuck in the meter just paying standing charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Electricity has gone up all over the world.

Anyone paying more than 20c a unit needs to switch supplier. It literally takes 2 minutes.

Advertisement