Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you get your electricity bill yet? Was there a hike in the bill?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Whatever about electricity, change your insurance regularly, they'll really pile it on to the person who sticks with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Yes, people are advised to do that, but you'll never guess. I've been with the same insurance firm for almost 20 years. People will think I'm trolling now Ha Ha.

The reason I don't change is really really simple. The firm I deal with have a bricks and mortar location in town and you can't beat sitting down in front of someone and hammering out the best options for you. Personal approach and build relations over the years and all that.

There's no 'drop down' menu for "come on Johnny, are you seriously going to charge me that?" on any website I've seen.

If they ever close offices, I'll switch to a firm with a bricks and mortar presence.

In fact, I'll give some advice for free here - whenever you are handing money over, to no matter who to no matter where and no matter how, always make sure that somewhere there is a door you can walk through, knock on, wait outside, or kick down depending.

I looked up your plan and I see that they offer 5% reduction for each and every 12 months you continue with them as a customer.

Does it mention that in your terms and conditions?

Could be the start of a new trend in electricity supply.

That offer is extremely tempting, It's time to take out the abacus.

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/campaigns/best-electricity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Deagol

Yeah - what they mean is you get the SAME 5% discount every year. After the first year you lose the headline 32% or whatever discount and go onto the standard unit rate with a 5% discount for paperless and DD. Hence the reason I dropped them and switched to EI this year.

i.e For the first 12 months I was paying 14.76cent a unit (a 32% discount on their standard rate when I signed up)

After 12 months I went to their standard unit rate of ~23c a unit less the 5% discount for DD and paperless billing.

When I rang to get a better deal they told me they only did better deals for new customers - so I checked out my options and switched to EI who offered me ~17c a unit ===== for 12 months of course. Probably have to do the same switching again next year but since it only takes a few mins I'm happy to spend the time to save myself the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

We got a smart meter & switched to the Nightboost rate….we time the dishwasher & washing machine to come on at night. The bill is €80 lower than our average

• Advertisement

I tend to agree about bricks and mortar offices but I think you are confusing an insurance broker with an insurance company? I doubt but I could be wrong, that any of the insurance companies still have high street offices?

Some examples of how you can save on insurance:

1) Got a quote from Chill.ie who are an online broker, for house insurance a couple of years ago - cheapest was Zurich for €558. I then rang Zurich directly and got it from them for €468 just by cutting out the middle man.

2) Axa sent us a renewal for our car, quote was €663 - I put my details through their online system and quote was much lower, so rang them and told them this. They immediately dropped the renewal to €447.

3) Each year, use an online comparison like Chill to check the competitiveness of your renewal, if you can get it lower elsewhere, ring your insurer and give them a chance to match it otherwise take your business elsewhere!

That's my 2 cents... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Hi

i tried to switch to Electric Ireland via bonkers.ie and to be honest it was a mess

signed up for the 17+ unit rate and 1 year contract. then received email for 2 year contract with saver deal of 220 discount and rate of 21+ unit rate

I told them I had signed for the lower rate and also queried this with bonkers.ie team. Neither very helpful and so cancelled the plan

Anyone know of the best straightforward deal around at the minute ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just checked, it was €102 last year, €178 this year - a difference of €76😯 we're doomed

Sorry, should have been clearer, I didn't use Bonkers to actually do the switch. I only ever use those sites to inform me which company I should contact. But I do the switching directly with the applicable company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

For nov/Dec mine was €317. 4 bed home with wife and 2 kids, electric car, air to water heating, and use immersion to heat water for showers etc. Just year was €280 for same period, so little over 10% increase.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭delboythedub

I also got a shock when i got my Gas and Electricity bill last week and a friend said I was paying premium rates for both so I went on to bonkers.ie and i managed to change supplier and ill save a few quid. This is something i will look at every 12 months from now on and i would advise everybody to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 23,906 ✭✭✭✭zell12

How come Sean Fleming TD gets roasted for telling people to switch and shop around, but boardsies do not? hmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

€307 for mid Nov to mid Jan. That's after a 38% discount.

Normally my bill was 160 and another 60 for gas.

But I've just moved into a house with an air to water system and Im not sure if the jump is solely down to that. I was adjusting the temp and water settings but apparently that makes the thing go into overdrive.

Leaving it alone now so hopefully the next bill won't be as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭delboythedub

dont know or care who Sean Fleming is but i do know that i saved money by shopping around

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

You really should send in proper readings as the longer you leave it, the more it will end up costing you.

Also you need to take proactive action and change providers because if you with same provider over 18 months you are definitely paying through the nose.

My contract was up last September, I was with Energia and their new rates were astronomical. I change to Bord Gais after getting 30 and 40% off my gas and electric. Recent electric bill was €129 and gas bill today was €119, I have gas central heating and it's on several hours a day plus it heats all the water too. I'm happy with my bills. 4 people in the house. People simple must change providers and stay on top of it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Word of warning, if running a washing machine while asleep make sure your smoke alarms are working. Washing machine fires are a real thing and they are one of the most likely causes of fire in a house.

If you are not changing your electricity company every 12 months you are overpaying, its as simple as that. Gladly its one of the easiest things to switch, unlike banking for example. When Ulster Bank close down later this year there will be carnage with people trying to switch bank and loads of direct debits, standing charges, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Someone has to pay the massive wages and incredible pensions the ESB are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

It was 93.00 before xmas and 117.00 this recent bill. So 25% higher & guess what it was estimated as they only read my meter once or twice a year. So they are automatically adding on 20 / 25% anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Shauna677

I would be far too nervous to time electrical appliances to come in at night, especially things like dryers and washing machines. Even though I have excellent fire alarm systems I just wouldn't feel secure. I'm going to resist smart plans as much as possible as they peak times rates are absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Electricity bill is usually around €300 but the latest one was €500. Seems a lot in a house with 3 people (and empty much of the time).

• Advertisement

Don't know if mentioned already, but get a decent thermos. I WFH and used to boil the kettle in the office a stupid number of times per day to keep the tea flowing. These days, I usually only boil the kettle once a day and fill the thermos. The thermos holds 1.2 liters, so it's crazy to think of the amount of energy I was using previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

€17 to €80 to €180.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have you no access to read it yourself? Any time Ive let bills go estimated by not reading the meter their estimate is always a fair bit off. I thought I read somethng before that the ESB are supposed to read meters four times a year but they definitely dont in my area anyway. The only way to be sure you are getting the rght bill is to read it yourself and submit it.

A mate who is a fireman was telling me washing machines and dishwashers are common causes of fires in a house. I used to run them when asleep but dont any longer, as he said you could get away with it for 10 or 20 years but the more you do it the more chances you are taking

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭jj880

Just suggested this to the wife. Shes not impressed. Not impressed at all. Says she'd be mortified if someone came over for coffee and she produces a flask of preboiled water and would I ever cop on. 😂😂😂. Oh well worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭jj880

My latest bill is 180 euro. It wasn't that long ago it was always between 80 and 90 euro. Pure robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭phormium

Got mine yesterday, wasn't as bad as I was expecting, used to be around 145/180 depending but was 217 which considering it was over Christmas wasn't too big a jump, mind you the original bill was estimated at 147 which was low even if it was being averaged, anyway I sent in a reading and got the reissued one.

Last provider I was with always sent an email prior to billing date to send in the reading, with electric ireland now and will have to diary it forward myself or something as they don't seem to do similar and the bill just arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I have a continuous reminder in my phone to read and submit the meters every month so if we are overcharged it won't be by a lot. I only started doing it a year ago and sorry I didn't think of it earlier.

Advertisement