Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone 25+ live with their parents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Living at home as an adult is one of the best ways to build wealth.

This idea of parents telling their children to get out of the family home and make their own way at 18 with parents and child being "proud" of this - sounds like they don't get on with each other. Maybe the parents should not have had the children in that case.

For various reasons, even if you can "afford" to move out, living at home is an efficient way to live. One property tax and insurance payment, one electricity connection, making good use of the generous space in the average Irish house.

Not handing your money over to arsehole builders, mortgage providers, solicitors, landlords.

Parents can be cared for at home when they get old potentially saving on massive nursing home charges. When the parents do die, a resident child can Inherit the property and avail of the dwelling house exemption from CAT - a potentially very valuable exemption that those who move out of the family home cannot avail of.

Yet men in particular are mocked and shamed for being immature sad bastards if they live at home. Living with his mammy who does his washing and women are not impressed - as if impressing women is the only thing that matters in life. TV ads for vested interests exploit this e.g. the "They're Up" ad from back in the property bubble days. Also, John McGuire's I'm An Adult programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Ahh "I'm An Adult Get Me Out Of Here." God that takes me back. That would have been peak Celtic tiger years too. little did we know what was ahead of us. But yeah the stigma is still there despite the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Are low income earners availing of HAP not eligible for council housing?

I saw a council development completed locally and, those houses could go privately for a serious price.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

The only people who look down at people living at home usually have huge debt on mortgage and cars and think there great because there in a huge amount of debt. They think been in debt is the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

A bit of a broad statement there and not based on reality. Kids need to grow up and move out of the house at some point. If there are several children they can't all stay as they partner up and have kids themselves can they? It has always been the case in Ireland, even before the current housing crisis, that a significant number prefer to stay with home comforts rather than moving out. Obviously it is less stress and you get your washing done and dinner cooked, but really its just a kind of extended adolescence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And this is exactly why men who live at home with their parents are having a hard time. Talking about a broad statement and then you say "...really its just a kind of extended adolescence." Not saying you're wrong, no doubt there are some out there like it, but also "A bit of a broad statement there and not based on reality. "

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

This is what happens in a country where the housing system is broken. Yet more and more come in, ironically some of them are getting their own house despite not working. Best thing is probably sign up to the housing list when your 18, better than slogging it out in a job in the city stuck in a rental trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Well by 25 I think guys should be looking to move out if they haven't already. Most people who do, live in a house share to keep the costs down. By 30 if you have never moved out and you aren't embarrassed about it, I think there is something wrong. I won't even comment on 35+. Of course it is different if you have moved out and moved back for a couple of years to save. Yes, there is a housing crisis now, but we have always had a lot of people doing this, it isn't something new, the excuse is new but the behavior is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,404 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is a perennial topic the point often missed is the difference between dug in for life and never had any notion of leaving versus its complicated and due to circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I wonder if current housing and economic conditions might see a resurgence of extended family living together ?

We have daughter and son in law in one side of the house and me and Himself in the other. We interact but they have their own space. They contribute to the household bills and general upkeep and we regard the house as much theirs as ours. They have had their own ( rented ) house before but rising house prices saw them out of the property because their landlord wanted to cash in.

We know that were they to rent again or buy, that it would preclude any chance of them having children due to costs. They both work in minimum wage or just above. Although both are grafters and work long hours.

Having us at home means that should they ever need child care it's here, and free.

As I see it, this situation gives them a quality of life that they didnt have when they were renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Most of the older 35+ I know back at home are there because of relationships ending.

They earn the "SO CALLED" average. 50-60k, they work in Dublin. net about 3000 to 3500

They can't house share because there's no room for the kids. They can't rent shitholes because the courts or the ex won't allow them to stay because it's not suitable.

So they are forced to rent two bedroom apartments/houses costing 2k plus a month. After rent and maintenance payments they barley enough to cover bills never mind eat.

They can move to the country and rent for 500 quid cheaper but for what? Just to spend 500 and even more on commuting, between work and picking up dropping off kids.

I know it's not astronomical wages but it's a sad state of affairs when somebody on 60K is living week to week even if they are separated.

Not surprised so many are still at home. Wouldn't even cross my mind to judge them either. We all know they don't want to be there.

The ones over 35 I know still living at home have never moved out. I could group my friends into 3 groups, those who moved out to house shares when young, those who moved out when they were settling with a partner and those who never moved out. There are several of the never moved outs who would be in their early 40's, so they would have had the whole boom/bubble time too, not just the housing crisis.

This is a lengthy enough compilation on the accommodation crises:

.... but it states a very good case.

Availability of housing for the former generation was orders of magnitude improved in contrast to that of our generation.

On this basis it's of little surprise much of our generation is compelled to stay at home or rent from within their parents residence.

Putting a little perspective on this I initially left home at 17 and didn't return there until I was 28 for a few months after transitioning from overseas back to Ireland.

In many ways I was exceptionally lucky in that I seemed to reliably get into wonderful accommodation that had literally just become available, whilst my peers paid way over the odds for comparably poor digs.

That being said, since the most recent accommodation crunch I again was gifted long terms digs.

Suffice to say it's easy to trash those living with their folks but at the moment in my mind, only the very select few don't get a pass.

The part that sticks in most people throats is of course wonderful new developments being dedicated as council properties.

Meaning great new accommodation is being given for free to those who would otherwise be homeless, whilst hard work middle income earners are forced to live in a hovel (or back with their parents).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What sort of salary are the group on who never moved out? I mean if people on 60k are struggling, how the hell does someone on less than 30k manage?

One bed one bath, viewing:

Pulled off r/dublin.

I checked out a studio in portobello before Christmas, pretty much exactly the same situation.

I was under the impression you were a woman.

At least judging by your posts in the "Beauty" forum.

Getting your eyebrows shaped? Not really a male activity (though to be fair I get it done, none the less with good reason to believe I may be an outlier).

I mention this in relation to terminology.

Technically, female pimps are known as "Madam's".

Conversely I consider the term "pimp" a little sleazy therefore, if there were a role reversal someone in my position could potentially say:

"GO FOR IT! ........... I will be your....... male-Madam".

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Far from getting eye brows shaped in the real world. Another Blainaid Treacy la la

It's Miss Pimp to you! 😅

You seem to have thought about this A LOT.

• Advertisement

Well I suppose that's better than Mrs Pimp..... 🙄

You know how it is, women don't trust a man who doesn't have his affairs in order.

Therefore literary accuracy is merely an extension of my personal refinement.

Got to pay attention to these matters if I ever want live that Capital Dock lifestyle.

So, literary accuracy, sharp looking eyebrows, well groomed mangina...... I'll be luring in the she-Johns in no time.

With refinement like this I will take you on an Ireland wide tour! First stop Mr Ryan air's wife! Mrs O' Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

yet ...You need income of over €130,000 to quality for a mortgage to buy an average-priced house in Dublin. This means that you need to be: - in the top 15% of income earners in Ireland. - in the top 6% of income earners in Europe.

THAT is a huge gap

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Massive

As it stands I need to borrow the deposit off my folks but my mortgage only goes as far as 225k

Shoebox

Well to be fair, she'd probably be the youngest client I've had so far.

Plus she still appears to have all her teeth.

Which would also be a first for me.

But anyways, more talk about housing, less talk about my magic-shenis, before this thread gets modded.

ahem ...aren't all the houses ever so expensive these days???

• Advertisement

i actually think i have a friend who bought a house in that estate!

Advertisement