Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone 25+ live with their parents?

Options
  • 16-01-2022 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

I met a dude the other day, 32 years old, hot wife, two kids...... lives with his moms.

Cause why?

No where else to live.

The general sentiment at the moment seems to be "stay at home or go poor".

In Ireland, 1 in 5 (or slightly above) millennials live with their parents.

Overpopulation, lack of what Ireland has historically been popular for, emigration.... ?

Of course the global pandemic is effecting matters but if we're talking cities specifically, for accommodation, Dublin has got to be one of the worst.

Anyone here relate? Still live in the family home due to inability to get decent accommodation?

I'm looking at some of the facebook room share groups and you can sense the desperation.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Notmything

Dude?, Mom's? What country is this?

Which re-reg are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My parents are both dead, but I just don’t have the heart to throw them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I have to pay for the air fresheners somehow. 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aisling0800

I currently live at home at 24. I've been abroad in the States and find it's much more frowned upon there than it is here.

I suppose though I can understand it. There's an endless supply of housing and jobs in the US that there just isn't here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If he gave up his job and his wife did they wouldn't be living with his mam, they would be provided with council housing, that's the state of this fooking kip we live in. He and his wife would need to be making a combined €90k plus to have any hope of buying even a modest 3 best house anywhere in Dublin.

M

Easier, having jobs and being married works against you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 aisling0800

But is that a life you want to live really? I think the stress of working an upper middle class job is probably less than the stress you'd get from living and trying to raise your kids and in a **** area while also staying safe.

M

You get the house and then revert to employment again, easiest option in todays crooked world. Chances are you will get a decent area, very little building going on in deprived areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would say it is an urban and a specific rural thing and more a male than a female issue?, I bet loads knows a family of say 3 children and one is married and the other 2 are 30 somethings still living at home and getting more welded to living in their parent house as time goes by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

38, living at home with the legends. I tried the whole relationship/mortgage/"good" job, didn't work out, job nearly killed me, mortgage broke me and herself wanted kids so I ended it. All I've left from trying to be "normal" is 20k debt and not much to show for it, a credit history that isn't just red but has burnt a hole, and a general dislike for people.

But I'm happier now. Wouldn't mind a missus, but any available at this age are most likely trying to have a kid, and even less of them would be interested in me, so I'm not giving out about being single. Enjoy it actually, friends in marriages/relationships keep me mentally single strong. Love the parents, 2 legends, both luckily still able to move about grand at 78 and 76. I do a few bits around the house, buy a few bits, but anyone with country parents will tell you that you simply cannot do and buy everything for them!

I can't ever see myself owning a house again. This house, I will be left live in it after they have passed, but if any of the siblings ever want their share (they're all ok with me just staying there for now at least), it'll have to be sold and I'll have anywhere from 15-35k depending on how much of my loan is left. Not much to start off again on... But I'm still happier than I was 10 years ago.

It has it's issues, but overall it's far better than either sharing rent with randomers and I nearly 40, or being constantly broke from trying to have my own place, apartment or house. I do work full time, nights, so I'm awake during every night in case of an emergency, and I'm far more suited to nights than days. Just works out better overall. But you do have to have a mentality of "I don't care what anyone thinks anymore". Listening to the Joneses will make you depressed about yourself. Just remember that anyone looking down on adults still living with their parents most likely have a fair few issues of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Well in this climate apparently 1 in 5 are in the same boat as you.

So certainly no one is looking down their nose, but the primary point is lack of affordable accommodation is having a terrible and dramatic effect on the country overall.

From that census the netherlands seem to be suffering but suffering the least which is bizarre cause the country is packed so tightly and housing has always been an issue there.... ?

Curious what your job is and what was the "good" job that nearly broke you?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

With the way things are going, maybe this thread should be renamed “Anyone 45+ living with their parents?” 😳😳😟

This is a serious problem in some countries such as Japan and Italy - middle aged adults still living with elderly parents and will be here too, given the depth and scale of the housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Currently first line network support overnight. Job that nearly broke me was being a Garda.

Edit: Just to add, I don't think it's a bad thing at all, and something my parents tell me they appreciate, as they wouldn't have some things as if I wasn't here they wouldn't be able to work some stuff. I'm the tech guy, so I sort out the GAA match streaming, or masses, etc. Thought the mother how to use a smart phone, now she's glued to Facebook, but it passes the time so its all good.

I'd imagine more parents would like a similar situation, but as most kids move on to their own families, it's not possible. As I don't want kids, and I'm not in a relationship, it makes complete sense for me to stay here and do what I can for them, will be a small repayment for raising me.

Double edit: Did my mother a disservice, she's 74, not 76.

So , you register as in need of housing , your allocated into one of three Bands (DCC is the one I'm most familiar with) , Band 1 exceptional needs , medical priority etc medical priority would be wheelchair bound or possibly terminally ill, there's a couple of other criteria scattered across the other two bands , overcrowding, housing with or without priority.

The reality is , you'll probably be told your housing option is HAP and in the meantime here's a hotel room or family hub placement for you , the wife and kids.

Tis a serious problem, there's a whole grouping in Japanese society living with elderly parents, in some cases rarely leaving their homes , almost like modern day hermits.

Is it actually a problem, though? Plenty of cultures involve multi-generational households. Even our own did for centuries. Up until very recently it was extremely common for someone in the family to stay on in with the parents, often looking after them in old age. This didn’t mean that they had to stay single - often they had spouses and family too. Everyone splitting off into separate nuclear families is a relatively recent phenomenon, and one that has bought its own share of social issues.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is also a strong cultural factor involved that has little to do with housing shortages or the general economy.

In Mediterranean countries such as Italy, Spain and Greece, living with parents until marriage has been the norm with an unmarried adult child becoming the de facto carer of the parent(s) as they get infirm and frail. This is also very common in Ireland which makes us very unusual for Northern Europe - possibly to do with traditional family structures and religious factors such as the Roman Catholic church.

In most other Northern and Central European countries such as the Netherlands, Denmark and Germany, adult children are pretty much expected to be moved out of the family home and living independently by 22 or 23 maximum, whether they have a good job or not.

In Denmark for example it is not unusual for 18 and 19 year olds to move out of the family home whilst in college and live relatively nearby. Living with your parents beyond the age of 21 is very much frowned upon in the Nordic countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Men seem to get a lot more stick over it anyway. I used to get a lot of it from the women in my last job, some of whom were still living at home themselves. It was a low paying job so anybody there that was single was generally living at home, except for the odd person in a house share.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

My partner and I moved back in with my parents for 2 years to save for our mortgage. Pain in the hole but worth it in the end.

I'm 31 and living at home is not uncommon at all amongst my peer group.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14 drogcam

31 and living at home, lived in Canada from 28 to 30. Have an alright job but still can't get a decent mortgage (using the mortgage calculators I could get around 120k mortgage) which in my area isn't enough for anything bar a tiny apartment or a derelict house.

Several of my friends in the same boat as well

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

financialization of our economies, most obviously evident in our property markets, has failed, this is why our property markets are fcuked!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dockysher

I am 36 and renting with my wife but nearly all my close friends are living at home, all around same age as me. Cant get mortgages, all have decent jobs too.

No mortgages, no places to rent.

Pfffff.

All this due to covid apparently?

At least on the positive side to things,

It does appear statistically like the end may be in sight.

But we'll almost certainly be another couple years picking up the pieces.

Sometimes I wish I could be a gigolo.

Spend all day giving pleasure to women, make money out the wazoo and live in Capital Dock, financial concerns a thing of the past.

** sigh **

Hell naw.

I've actually done a few strip-o-grams in my time.

Consistency, fueled by supply and demand is the issue.

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

Graphic should belong in Interesting Maps. Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece I can understand due to mammas home cooking and lack of job opportunities but wtf is going on in Denmark. Siblings must really dislike their parents.

Advertisement