Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Periods and Vaccine/booster/Covid effects

Options
  • 09-01-2022 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi All,

Has anyone else noticed changes in their cycle after getting the booster or vaccine/and or having covid?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes, this was discussed in the main thread.I haven't myself but I have at 4 friends who are not on contraception. The 2 vaccines and the booster each caused their periods to come not long afterwards, a week or two early.It is most definitely a side effect.Myself, my contraception stops periods so it didn't seem to affect me that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Thanks Shesty, I will have a look in the main thread, couldn't find anything when I did a search

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh it is buried pages back, in either the Restrictions thread or the main thread.But yes, women have found this as an effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Thanks so much, I had my booster 2nd week in dec, was due around xmas and now have covid, have done pregnancies tests all negative..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Yes, but only after the booster. I got it back in November, then I started menstruating outside of my normal cycle, it did not stop for 6 weeks, I had to go to the doctor twice to get medication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

thought i did, after my vaccines; but recently i had seen my gynae, she said otherwise (and explained why i had different behaviour, defo not vaccine related)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zefirki

After second Pfizer jab my periods returned 14 weeks later.my cycle all my life been 28-30 days.Got Covid now(confirmed on the 11th jan my PCR).I have periods second time in 2 weeks!thats madness. Please dont tell me nothing is related..because it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pfarrel1

Hi All great website here it's an organisation funded by Who it gives a list of all side affects associated with the vaccine. It's called VigiAccess. org . Just type in covid 19 vaccine and all the info is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

No effect here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mortis43

Yes - after my first shot my period came a week early which was highly unusual for me as my periods are like clockwork and have been for the past twenty years. I was quite alarmed with the side effect.

I'm now trying to conceive and hugely reluctant to get the booster. I know I probably should due to the risk of getting COVID while pregnant but I can't shake the feeling I had after that initial side effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Talk to your doctor if you have any questions, pregnant with COVID has been a high risk state that they're trying to avoid as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not just after vaccination/boosters, the "Covid period" is definitely a thing. My post-menopausal cousin got Covid over Christmas and got her period. She hasn't had one in six years. I've another friend who had Covid recently and got the heaviest period she's ever had.

I haven't had my booster yet but I had no issues after the first two doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Maybe I'm missing something, but what relevance does a fact check article of a video of a section of VigiAccess that concludes it's "missing context" have to do with VigiAccess itself, which is what the other poster was directing people to?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

your cousin needs to see a Dr just to be sure it’s not something more sinister.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I know my wife's cycle has been affected but not to dramatically...but her best friends is all over the place, like 2 months without it and other stuff...

It has concerned herself and her friend, as we and her friend are trying to conceive...

Unfortunately my wife's Dr has said it's normal and nothing to worry about, and not taking her complaints seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Because VigiAccess does not "give a list of all side effects associated with the vaccine". That is a misrepresentation, similar to those discussed in the article I linked to.

A better source for that sort of information is the HSE or HPRA.

e.g.

http://www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicines/covid-19-updates/covid-19-vaccine-communications

But VigiAccess is just a centralised collation of the sort of information held by the HSE/HPRA-type bodies of many countries, isn't it?

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Advertisement

For the reasons described in that fact check article.

That fact-check article says that a video nobody has posted here is missing context.

Read the vigiaccess home page, it also makes you agree not to misuse the data before you're allowed to see the data along with a number of other conditions. UK and US have equivalent sites with similar warnings not to misuse the data.

A lot of anti-vaxxer rhetoric is based on misusing that data, science just ignores them and uses it for it's intended purpose and keeps collecting the data anyway (anyone who got a vaccine is encouraged to submit any side effects).

That's just the go to, attack the source..

I don't get how it's supposed to be just fine that it's messing with these things though, and that it's nothing to worry about..

Every fckin thread on this forum is infested with antivax bullshit.

The thought that women planning pregnancy would be influenced by this horseshit is infuriating.

If you want medical advice, speak to your GP or gynaecologist. If you want background info, read the HSE guidance and HPRA reports.

I'm done.

In this case, the source attacks you and other anti-vaxxers, it'd be funny if it wasn't so serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

How is it anti-vaccine? It’s a side effect but seems to have been minimised or maybe put down to ‘vapors’ or ‘humors’.

A legitimate side effect experienced by many people needs to be addressed publicly and fears allayed.

It seems the case that the vast majority of issues around menstrual irregularities resolve themselves quickly - so why are they not as widely mentioned and put to bed as much as myocarditis?

It’s ridiculous to dismiss a concern from a reported side-effect. Address it properly instead on sweeping it under the carpet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A better source for that sort of information is the HSE or HPRA.

does the HSE track these effects?

my wife's cycle was knocked for six, and she has friends with similar experiences. all of whom who i've talked to would happily take another booster despite these side effects; this is not an anti-vax stance. but please don't suggest the HSE is an authority on this, when i've seen absolutely zero evidence that they have made any effort to track side effects. they are republishing info which has been provided to them

which includes - from the link you provided (and i would be highly amused if this is not sex-disaggregated)

1% to less than 10% of reports describe side effects such as:

 Menstrual disturbancees

• Advertisement

Well, sure, but nobody was misusing the data. Someone simply referred to it and then Lumen posted a fact check article about a video nobody posted and said that my question about whether VigiAcces is "a centralised collation of the sort of information held by the HSE/HPRA-type bodies of many countries" is a "misrepresentation", without saying why.

I think the "antivaxxer rhetoric" might actually be a bit less commonplace if people would stop speaking so definitively about things they only suppose, particularly when such things have been repeatedly shown to be evolving through the pandemic.

Menstrual cycles are fickle things, and they can be thrown off by anything from stress to exercise to tummy bugs. But we've thus far run the gamut as far as the media and the narrative police go, from "anti-vaxxers are lying about the vaccine affecting women's menstrual cycles" to "the vaccines are affecting menstrual cycles but that's totally okay" with a few stops along the way.

For anyone genuinely seeking information, particularly women in their late 30s or early 40s trying to conceive, you must see why that is incredibly frustrating. It comes across as infantilising nonsense that presupposes that grown women need to be "managed" in terms of the information they receive or they'll just start believing that Bill Gates is trying to hamper their fertility and burning down 5G towers.

Advertisement