Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You can edit your HDF to achieve the same thing. I wanted to compare my 4 hour Energia EV tariff to the 3 hour Pinergy tariff.

Load the HDF in excel, create a helper column based on splitting the datetime field into separate date and time. Filter for 05:00 to 06:00 columns, make a note of the totals and then zeroize them all. Then add the total you noted into a prior 04:00 to 05:00 row. Then delete the helper column and upload to EnergyPal.

Not perfect by any means and assumes that you can blindly load shift that entire hour without exceeding your MIC etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

When I signed up to them originally I didn't get a bill for 4 months, since the first bill arrived they've been sent every 2 months like clockwork on the 12th. My next bill* will arrive on 12th June.

*It'll be a credit due to the solar.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭moorele

Fixed & thats incl vat.

He said they were trying to compete with flogas. Standing charge is €240.

I asked him a few times was he sure it wasn't a specific day/night plan & he said no. I also asked was there a peak rate to which he said no. Like you, I'm a bit skeptical so have emailed to ask them to clarify the rates for me. T

Post edited by moorele on

• Advertisement

It was too good to be true! Followed up with SSE today. He had signed me up for a 24hr flat rate of 22c. So I have cancelled the switch for the minute. Need to run my numbers again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭CoBo55

If that includes Vat it isn't a bad price. Even on the 23c deal my bills are absolutely off the scale 😡 I really need to do something every penny I have is being ploughed into keeping ahead of the electricity bill, I feel like a student on a coin meter…

Just checked its ex vat. It would be 24.58c incl VAT.

Need to do the numbers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That's some shoddy selling that he had you believing you were getting a lower night rate and it's a flat 24 hour rate. That would boil my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Par for the course with SSE sales reps (and all the others as well more than likely). I had one SSE guy at the door swear to me that their customers don't pay carbon tax because it's all renewable energy or something FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭fafy

i’ve had loads of these people knocking on our front door, they are on commission only for the most part, and will tell you anything to get a sale, most don’t even look at the PV panels on roof on their way to the door, or the EV charger close to the door, eg i am not interested in the mainly 24 hour tarriffs they are all trying to sell, most are clueless in my experience on smart meters, solar pv, night rates, and its never a good idea, to buy something on spec on the dootstep, without fully researching the details.

It was all on the ring doorbell so was able to watch back and he definitely made those claims.

Still in cooling off period so its easy enough to cancel the switch. Will have a look at all the plans again at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Eleusis

Interesting, you have the power to possibly lose that person their job. I really dislike lying door to door salespeople as I have been stung in the past. If you have cancelled inside the cooling off period, I would document every step of that process and keep an eye on it and make sure it's actually in the process by requesting written confirmation either my letter or email. I have also been stung there too.

Edit: what rate do you go when that one is cancelled? Likely the full rate if your old supplier? Unless you resign a contract with old supplier. Potentially messy situation arriving cause of that lying sh#-#.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Just heard on the radio that prices are coming down again soon. So might hold off and see what/when….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

would they not drop your rates even if you signed up?

Ive just signed up to bordgais ev today.

All those door to door salespeople are subcontractors, they don't work for any of the companies they represent

They literally don't know or care about the products they're selling and will do anything to get a sale

I had a guy from Sky trying to convince me that my Vodafone broadband was going to go up in price every year, even though it hasn't for around 5 years (don't tell Vodafone, they seem to have me on some permanent discount 🤫)

My advice is to get a video doorbell and just ignore anyone you don't recognise. I've ignored a driveway scammer and two political canvassers in the past couple of days, felt great 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

In fairness, it is a thing on new plans for Vodafone:

https://n.vodafone.ie/annual-price-adjustment.html

Eir have the same thing

But I do agree that there is no advantage to dealing with a door to door salesperson

Yeah somehow I don't seem to be subject to that, price has been the same for years even though new customers pay a lot more

I reckon someone f**ked up and forgot to remove a discount, I'm certainly not telling them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Young lad doing door to door selling BG electricity, he hadn't a hope, 25.55 +Vat, he did try telling me that having a fixed price contract was foolish as prices were falling rapidly 🤔 yeah right, dream on lad...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seadal

Sorry if this has been covered already.

I just received a letter from ESB networks to say they'll be replacing my meter with a smart meter soon. Will I be able to keep my D/N tariff when this happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I think you have to make the change, not them. I know when my smart meter was installed, I was still on the same (all day) tariff until I changed to a smart one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Here's a 12 month fixed EV plan from Bord Gais that looks like it might be OK:

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-plans/a0pSh0000005RfXIAU

Day: 24.47

Night: 18.45

Peak: 34.13

EV 2 to 5 am: 6.24

FIT: 18.5

I know the founder of Bonkers.ie said on the radio that rates would "fall slowly" but I think it could be ages and not by as much as people think.

I added the plan above as a custom plan on Energypal and only Yuno showed as being cheaper for my usage. I'm not sure about them from the feedback I see on here.

However, I'm looking to move from an old plan on Electric Ireland, so everything looks better than what I'm on. And before people give out - yes, I should have switched long before now but I'm just a lazy git.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

This is the plan it gave me

Urban Day units (8am to 11pm)36.53 27.76 cent per kWh

Urban Peak units (5pm to 7pm)50.94 38.71 cent per kWh

Urban Night units (11pm to 8am)27.54 20.93 cent per kWh

Urban EV units (2am to 5am)9.31 7.07 cent per kWh

Annual Standing Charge€325.52

They give you a 50 quid credit on the above which would cancel out the 50 quid Electric Ireland would charge

Yes I kept mine, going now for 6 months on it but in reality a smart plan will probably save me more money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Yes, I saw that one. I was looking at the plan with no cashback/credit as the unit rates are lower. Those differences in rate adds up to around €150 when applied to my usage over the year.

Here's a quick calculation, could be completely wrong on these though 😁

Edit: apologies to mobile users, the table below won't render on a mobile browser

Cashback Rate

No Cashback Rate

Units Used

Cashback Total

No Cashback Total

Saving

Day

€0.2776

€0.2447

€849.15

€748.51

€100.64

Peak

€0.3871

€0.3413

€194.81

€171.76

€23.05

Night

€0.2093

€0.1845

€222.48

€196.12

€26.36

EV

€0.0707

€0.0624

€5.81

€5.13

€0.68

€1,272.25

€1,121.52

€150.73

Post edited by Gulliver on

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Deleted

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

Just note that standing charge on the Bord Gais EV plan is about 100 bucks higher than most other plans.

I use 10-12k units per unit, 50 quid is pi**ing into the wind :-)

• Advertisement

Units per unit? 😉

You need solar panels, I was around the same amount then cut it in half with the panels, and 75% is now at the cheap night rates

Advertisement