Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Cricket Season 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

From Cricinfo:

After an off day on Wednesday, the teams return to Al Amerat on Thursday with UAE and Ireland contesting the tournament final to determine seedings for the T20 World Cup: the winner will join Sri Lanka and Namibia - plus the runners-up of Qualifier B in Zimbabwe in June - in Group 1 of the first round, while the runner-up will be in Group 2 with West Indies, Scotland and the winner of Qualifier B.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fergiesfav

BBC reporting India are scheduled to play Ireland in a T20 this summer. Nice big fixture to land. Not a peep out of Cricket Ireland on it though.

Haha this is just ridiculous. How can the UAE be so dominant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some good six hitting now.

I'd like to know whats so fascinating in the dressing room. They seem determined to follow each other back into it, whenever a wicket falls you can be sure there'll be another one or two in 3/4 balls time. The first 3 wickets fell in the space of 11 balls, the next 3 in 9 balls, then the next 2 in 5 balls. How can any team be competitive with this carry on.

In Fairness to Tector a great knock from him, he is a player. He would've benefited hugely from the county scene. He has the potential to be world class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Good recovery in the last 10 overs, 160 required by UAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,918 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

A solid start with the ball, dead eyed accuracy both lines and lengths and as I type we have our first wicket…

Bit of needle out there, some verbals and between overs and deliveries, it’s noticeable the umpires having to clamp down on the amount of ‘gardening’ and now wandering away to square leg being done by the batsmen… obviously deliberate to put the Irish bowlers off their rhythm… poor show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

We're being smashed to every part of the ground here need a wicket soon or it's curtains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Some knock by Waseem.

• Advertisement

Pretty impressive record in T20Is: 12 innings 2 centuries, 3 fifties and 506 runs off 330 balls.

Both centuries against Ireland, the rest against associates. He's an associate level batsman that the Irish attack make look like Kohli.

Add McCarthy to the list of Irish players that cannot play T20 cricket. He gets smashed around in every game he plays yet keeps getting picked. Madness. This new coach will need to be a genius with this lot

Some hitting by the UAE

But our bowlers... fùck... a decent start but they didn't seem to have anything approaching a plan B when things were going wrong..

I thought that Getkate was an all-rounder. Surely he could have been bowled ahead of Delany?

They don't seem to have a plan bar hoping a big hit is miscued and caught in the deep. i think Balbirnie is a poor captain. Not proactive enough in the field. We see it all the time, we get teams in trouble but then just sit back and let the game amble along hoping for an opposition mistake rather than enforce a mistake. It's negative cricket from a different era.

Looking more likely that India's T20 game is going to be played in......ENGLAND!!!. If that comes to pass it's a massive slap in the face to Irish supporters. Whenever I think that Cricket Ireland can't get anymore shambolic, they come up with something like this. Why would anyone bother going to watch Bangladesh when we're not deemed important enough for showcase games!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland Men v India Men T20I series

• Sunday 26 June: Ireland v India, 1st T20I (Malahide) *

• Tuesday 28 June: Ireland v India, 2nd T20I (Malahide) *

* Subject to licence

Ireland Men v New Zealand Men series

• Sunday 10 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 1st ODI (Malahide)

• Tuesday 12 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 2nd ODI (Malahide)

• Friday 15 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 3rd ODI (Malahide)

• Monday 18 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 1st T20I (Stormont)

• Wednesday 20 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 2nd T20I (Stormont)

• Friday 22 July: Ireland v New Zealand, 3rd T20I (Stormont)

Ireland Men v South Africa Men T20I series

• Wednesday 3 August: Ireland v South Africa, 1st T20I (Bristol)

• Friday 5 August: Ireland v South Africa, 2nd T20I (Bristol)

• The scheduled multi-format men’s series against Bangladesh set for 2022 has been moved to summer 2023;

• The scheduled home Test match and ODIs against Afghanistan set for 2022 will be rescheduled to a future date (dates TBC); and

• The proposed men’s tour to Zimbabwe in April 2022 has been moved to early 2023.

That's a mixed bag announcment.

The good news

India are coming to town and that series against NZ is much better than I imagined. It's great to get another crack at SA but it's very disappointing after two years of no cricket that we have to play those games in England, but then beggars can't be choosers.

The bad news

That's a very overwhelming summer numbers wise. No tests and only 3 ODIs. Weather I'm sure will effect at least 3 of the the T20s, so the amount of cricket we'll see won't be great. Full membership has not worked out as we expected, the amount of games hasn't really increased, Holland will have a similar number of games. Answers should be given about why Bangladesh have cancelled two years running. Can CI not afford the series or is it not worth Bangladesh's time coming over.

I expect Afghanistan will probably end up coming over at some stage. Although at this stage I'm sure both teams are sick of each other

I’d like to see us start playing test series against Afghanistan, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh…even 4 dayers… nice to have the glamorous ties but competitive, winnable cricket please..

cost though would be an issue but….

id like to see support from both the government and the ICC to make it happen…

from the ICC website …

“The ICC is the global governing body for cricket. Representing 106 members, the ICC governs and administrates the game and works with our members to grow the sport. The ICC is also responsible for the staging of all ICC Events.”

grow it ? Put money into making it a reality… same from the Irish government….shït or get off the pot…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Won't be attending or watching any of those Ireland games this summer until they make a positive step to indicate that they may play a test match at some time in the future.

In October 2017, the ICC approved a request for a four-day Test match, between South Africa and Zimbabwe…this surely is the route Ireland need to pursue….

On 22 June 2017, we were granted full member and Test status of the ICC… that looks grand on headed paper and a wall plaque but….we need to get scheduling 4 day tests..even if initially it’s against ‘ lesser lights’.. Scotland, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, and if possible… Afghanistan here eventually …

I know what’s going on and what’s been going on isn’t or hasn’t been conducive to doing it but it needs to be committed to… cricket here needs a publicised plan…to enable public buy in…

this is what we have..

a whole lot of lip service wrapped up in cute cuddly language yet nothing really committal on the future development of the international team..or how the international team will and can improve and be more competitive on the world stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭No_Hope_Club

Not sure the public want to buy into 4 day test matches though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Ireland Wolves start a T20/ODI series against Namibia today. You can watch the game on the Cricket Namibia facebook page at https://bit.ly/3KYZSvr

Start time is supposed to be midday Irish time, but the covers are still on, although the umps have just gone out for an inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭No_Hope_Club

Skittled out for 90.

Namibia won on D/L

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

Any idea when the tickets for the New Zealand games will be out?

Wow, not a whole lot coming through in the Wolves set up. Namibia A handling them without too much trouble. Add Namibia to the list of associate nations that have overtaken Ireland.

Much like the senior team absolute clueless pacing of the chase. Chasing over 250 and the top order come out for a gentle test match stroll. No urgency, no desire to hit boundaries, no rotating the strike. Instead they play the same old chestnut, 'keep wickets back for a late slog' but then as sure as night follows day, wickets fall in clumps, panic spreads through the batting lineup, horrible slogs don't come off and the chase falls short. I watched the last 10 overs and some of the shots you wouldn't see kids try in the local park.

Ireland were 119/2 after 30 overs, that's scoring at less than 4 an over, they went on to lose by 7 runs, that run rate is your reason. Too much pressure on the lower order, who don't have the power hitting or shot range to pull off big chases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Some performance by Gareth Delaney in the final match of the tour against Namibia. A century with the bat and then a five-for with the ball. A career best in both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Great to see domestic cricket back up and running today with an easy win for Leinster over North-West. A throwback from George Dockrell who was inspired with the ball by taking 5 wickets and then he finished not out in the run chase alongside an impressive 76 not out from Harry Tector.

Advertisement