Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Christmas Bonus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

The 30k, 100k companies. I shouldn't have had to say this...🙄

Karen and ken

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

A whole chocolate EACH. They spoiled you! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Birds are actually little dinosaurs but very much real. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Advertisement

Oh, they exist, but they only pay those bonuses to a very few top dogs.

Old (small) company gave us 500 quid in local vouchers. They were great, bunch of pubs accept them. So me and one of the other guys hit my usual spot and put a 50 behind the bar and drank 11 pints in about 2.5 hours. Used another 200 towards filling the rents' oil tank. Ended up using the rest on diesel for the car.

Was expecting a bonus this year at a new company, company is flying at the minute and aren't tight about spending on junkets and parties etc. so I got my hopes up. Probably should have asked around before getting my hopes up 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Why do people expect to get getting a specific bonus (outside of their incentive scheme) around Christmas time?

Makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,210 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Public sector so zero anything. I got a shout out for working multiple weekends...so it's almost like a bonus...lol

An old department did give all staff a one for all up to max value allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It's just a tradition, J. It doesn't have to make logical sense, or be justified under some particular law or dogma. It's just people talking about their experiences on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Get a nice Christmas hamper every year and a 200 euro voucher as well.

The actual bonus is in March, usually between 10-15%

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Yes get a bonus every Christmas and it’s very welcome 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Last job went from 150 worth of all for one vouchers and an Xmas party to 50 euros all for one vouchers to absolutely nothing…

the guy behind the decent bonus is now a Vice President, guy who put the kibosh on it all, obviously downgrading deliberately over time to nada…is sat at home somewhere peeling his banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Can get up to 25% of salary and I got 100% of that this Christmas.

Nice to know I'm doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

A couple of bus drivers I know in Dublin Bus were refused their Christmas bonus this year because they had to take official sick leave after recovering from heart operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

No bonus for me unfortunately as I'm in the health service. Best I can hope for is a box of choccys from the consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

A few people left their chocolates on the table in disgust. We came back in January to a sticky mess. 😁

Civil Service, 30+ years service. Only ever received a "bonus" once if you could call it that - one year we got a €25 one-4-all voucher. It was almost impossible to find somewhere to spend it. No paid for parties either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I forgot about the parties. We had to pay for half the meal and the company paid the other half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 mayogeezer123

€50 Perx card, won’t even fill the car with diesel with it, right miserable bonus but it’s something

Of course you should have to say that, if that’s what you meant.

Nothing in my present company. Most I ever got was 10k. Tax is a killer on bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Don't get a bean. The population of ireland are a scabby bunch who even begrudge me getting back what was taken from me in 2010, never mind the 5 euro a week increase I got in October

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

100 euro dunnes stores voucher , company made a fortune this year on the back of the pandemic , same situation last year profit wise ,and they gave us 400 euro dunnes vouchers + an extra weeks pay .

Bad taste in everyone’s mouth over what was handed out yesterday considering the effort we have all put in this year .

As one of my colleagues said .. people on the dole got a better bonus and didn’t do a days work 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

€150 one4all voucher and two days additional annual leave in lieu of a Christmas party. Will also get bonus in April which is personal and company performance based.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

I normally try to negotiate for additional leave instead of a bonus. The bonus isn't worth much to me when the state takes more of it than I get myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I retired 2 years ago from a semi state company. I got an overtime payment the week before Christmas every year for the last 30 years. The thing is , I never did any overtime. It was based on the fact that I would do it, if asked. Eight of us in the company got it as a union settlement. You couldn’t write this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

I got 3500 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Got a hamper delivered today, Wasn't expecting it, so nice surprise. Looked it up & cost price was €49.

Texted my boss to let him know I got it & put in my thanks for the company & he told me the company didn't pay for it. He did, out of his own pocket. He manages a team of 15 & got each of us a hamper.

Company apparently said there's be no bonuses this year (again), there's no xmas party for the second year in a row & they still haven't paid for anything to do with work from home (asked us what else did we need apart from out laptops as they already had screens, keyboards & trackpads).

Advertisement