Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Christmas Bonus

Options
  • 17-12-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

For those fortunate to be employed, do you receive a Christmas Bonus on top of your salary?

Vouchers? Extra pay?

Is your Bonus performance based? Would you consider Christmas Bonus to be something expected?

During the 25 years I've worked, for different employers the usual would be a weeks wages Extra..taxed. or some offered vouchers

I never plan in it coming in but it's nice to get

Worked for the odd miserable kernt that would give you 50 quid voucher for Supervalue

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Annual bonus is in September for some inexplicable reason so we get nothing now. Did work in a firm with one once which was replaced with a voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

No Christmas bonus where I work. They wouldn't give you a penny more than they had to for anything though - no sick pay, maternity pay, pension, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There is some tax benefit I think from getting a voucher, potentially they're not taxable but I'm open to correction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

We get our annual bonus in December if it's payable, but because it's based on company performance as well as your own, it's not always assured. We got nothing last year, I got 10% this year.

Other places I've worked would give a voucher at Christmas, I've seen anything from €50 to €250 given. I've also worked in places where you'd be lucky to get a Thank You card and a single Cadbury's Hero. So no, definitely not a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm less than 6 months into my job, and everyone (<15 staff) received €500, which I thought was very generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Few hundred quid on a prepay visa, performance bonus at a pretty decent percent of my base and was informed I'm getting a raise this week - only had one a few months ago when I was promoted so it was a very pleasant surprise.

I've never received a bonus from this company before, or any other company. Guess working your way up leads to the bonuses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

We got a €2K Christmas bonus (subject to tax) and a €500 voucher card (tax free)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

They'll fix that soon enough to make up for giving away the 2Bil corporation tax and the delay in taxing gift from mam and dad. Fuking comical, we vote them in to run the country and all they do it feck the people over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We get an annual bonus in March. One part is based on company performance, one part on personal performance. I’ve averaged about 12% over the past few years, next year will be lower, though.

Christmas we got a hamper, and because we had no Christmas party, the budget for that was distributed as One4All cards to all staff. Our Sports & Social club distributed their budget to members, since they had no events all year. As the company match our contributions, we doubled our money (in the form of a One4All voucher). So that was €200 in vouchers in total (although €78 of that was what we paid in).

Nicest Christmas bonus I ever got was one in an old job 15 years ago. The company was tiny - a husband, wife and me. I’d only been there 3 months and the pay was shite. But I’d moved towns and needed the job.

They took me out to lunch on the 23rd and gave me a cheque for €300, which was only 1.3% of my crappy salary, but still, it was a lot to me at the time. Wrote me a lovely note too, saying how much they appreciated me. However, I’d just received an offer for the company I’m in now. The new job paid literally double and had much better perks and prospects, so it was a no-brainier.

I felt bad, though, so I didn’t cash the cheque, and handed it back to them just after Christmas when I handed in my notice (with a note saying how much I appreciated them). Later that afternoon, they handed the cheque back to me, said they fully understood why I was leaving, but they wanted me to have the bonus anyway. A small amount of money, but a nice gesture.

• Advertisement

Get a 200 euro one for all voucher at Xmas and and between a 10-12K bonus every May.

Obviously taxed but bonuses shouldn’t be.

The One For All vouchers are an absolute nightmare imo, so difficult to load them onto the App and can be difficult to use in the shops. I'd love to know how many of them go unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I still had €200 worth from last year up until this week. Got a notification saying they were going to start charging a monthly charge on them being unused. Ran straight into Harvey Normans in Limerick and spent them. Very few places take them locally to me, and the €50 online limit is a pain in the arse. Amazon used to accept them, but they’ve been shite since that stopped.

And loading vouchers into the app is indeed a pain in the arse.

Another pain is that my US boss sent me a £50 one last year. But it can only be spent in the UK. I’m currently looking into what to do with it.

Fun fact: I designed and built the very first One4All (then known as The Gift Voucher Shop) website back in 2002 or so. Didn’t work for them, though.

Bonuses of course need to he taxed. It's income.

Funny you say that. Literally just had the conversation with my wife. She hates them. A pain and never in a shop you want

Post edited by AckwelFoley on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ablelocks

500 bonus - perx card - way better than oneforall

christmas hamper

Christmas lunch, dinner and office party fully paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,401 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Bonus is between 10-15% of salary. It's paid at Christmas, but it's really a performance bonus based on the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

€100 voucher at Christmas, but the bonus isn't paid till the new year. Since it's partly based on company performance, it can't be paid until the annual results are announced the the stock market.

Post edited by The J Stands for Jay on

• Advertisement

€50 lidl voucher when working in lidl, miserable shower.

Don't accept it and your cards are marked.

€3k nett!! Half December half January. Have come to expect it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

500eur all for 1 voucher, hamper, few bottles from clients and 5k tax deductible. The job I had before I got nothing, and after 10 years I got a 100 voucher.

Seems to me the bonus you get or dont get speaks volumes about your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yep Cash is king and everyone gets a bonus! depending on seniority and their performance.

Co-workers need something to make the season enjoyable, including more time off.. ;)

(well all except me..lol)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

I usually get a 200 euro perx card. I use it to tax my car online every January. (200 for 3 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The most I ever got was a €50 euro voucher, and that was from the customer, not the employer. One boss I worked for walked around the floor with a box of chocolates and allowed each of us to pick one. I got a much bigger bonus on the PUP than I ever did in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Back in the tiger days I got a brown envelope with a grand in cash but now it's a poxy voucher. Cash is king, down with the cashless society!

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mam1996

Frontline healthcare worker, so no bonus for me. Unfortunately we're getting our holidays taken off us because of no staff due to infection/illness. Just more work because people refuse to adhere to the guidelines 😭😭 Rant over - sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Got a hamper. I'd say it cost the guts of €100 quid. Cheese, crackers, chutney and not a bottle of something to drink. I'd be hoping for something more next week. I was in a job until last June where we didn't close at all throughout Christmas so delighted to have 10 days off on a row.

• Advertisement

Advertisement