Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭con747

When they contact you about installation of the smart meter with a date tell them you will be on holidays and hope they don't call back to soon! Hybrid means an inverter capable of attaching a battery.

CT Clamp

Current transformers (CTs) are sensors used to linearly step down the current passing through the sensor to a lower level compatible with measurement instrumentation

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

If you've requested to be added to the smart meter priority queue, cancel that request. I had done that before my solar setup and not realised the benefit of a backwards spinning meter. So I asked to be removed from the priority list.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks I will try if only to get one decent summer out of excess to grid benefits. Everyone supposed to be upgraded by 2023. But latest letter written already to us says they may do it without our consent.... Only reason a battery makes sense is to avail of night rates. Another day's work to explore options for changing provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭micks_address

A hybrid inverter will allow you to connect solar and battery to same unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

A battery allows you to balance your consumption such that if you produce more than you consumed during the day you would have it available at night. It’s hard to say if your battery is over sized or redundant without knowing what you’re producing. Average home apparently exports 40% of what they generate so in the absence of a battery that would be what you’d do. A spinning backwards meter is the holly grail though. I wouldn’t charge up a battery on a day rate only to discharge it again on the same rate, that’s costing you money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Your consent is required, this has been covered to death in the forum, do a Google search on Smart Meters and ministerial questions

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Cobalt Red: How the Blood of the Congo Powers Our Lives

Great read on child slavery powering the green revolution.

Back to burning coal so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

And your question for the solar for dummies thread is?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,602 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Good thing you arent reading this on a device with a lithium battery eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭jkforde

yep, we're all part of it, discomfiting for some, not for others.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

You do know Cobalt is used for other things also? Such as alloys for planes, refining crude oil for your non EV car etc.

Lifepo4 batteries which are common for solar are Cobalt free.

Back to CT clamps... how many should there be in a solar set up? Our installer is asking us to go thru advance settings on inverter to reverse the direction. I am not happy to do this as do not have much confidence at this stage in the installers experience! I think the problem is to do with the fuseboard where work was done after basic install and since then issues with incorrect data. We see a CT on the Harvi in the outside meterbox. Are there others?

Can you not post pictures of your inverter screen? This would take little time to figure out if you provided that. There should be another CT clamp in your consumer unit and a meter not unlike this:

Could you provide a complete description of what you have installed;

• What is your inverter make and model
    • How many panels and what capacity
    • Do you have a battery and if so what capacity
    • Do you have an Eddi and if so is it on
    • Do you have an EV charger and if so what brand.

I know this information is already posted across multiple threads but for the best response help folks out by being clear. Also photos of the information displayed on the inverter.

photos of existing CT clamps please

I was going to ask the same but the inverter clamp is likely within the consumer unit and the poster should not remove the consumer unit cover.

well, if not in the consumer unit can a photo be posted then, a photo speaks a thousand words

I take consumer unit to be the fusebox. We had a new one installed as part of the work. The only clamp visible is outside in the meter box, attached to red wire and arrow pointing back to house.

It is a 16 panel array on two strings giving 7.36 Kw.

The battery is by Sofar Solar and is 5.1Kw.

The inverter is by Sofar Solar and 6 Kw.

There is an Eddi that is working on timer to boost hot water temperature and to take excess solar.

I will post photos as requested and of inverter display panel which shows energy going TO the grid on a dull wet evening as daylight fails.

MyEnergy have been on phone and fixed up the App a bit but cannot put up solar information until CT issue is sorted.

Zoom out a little please so the LEDs on the right side are captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭micks_address

there's no way to tell in the myenergy app if your invertor is outputting battery or solar.. so monitoring it in the myenergy app is kinda useless.. the only way this works is if you have a separate battery / invertor setup to solar / invertor.. when you look in the myenergy app you should see a green leaf when your solar or battery is covering house load.. if you are importing from the grid you should see the grid icon on myenergy app showing the amount you are importing.. should also show if you click into it the amount of power you import to charge battery at night if doing so.. the eddi should kick in if your exporting energy from the house from the invertor... the 'export margin' on the eddi needs to be set around 100 watts to avoid battery drain..

• Advertisement

We're almost there, lets keep focused. The eddi is a red herring as is the Myenergi app. Just need to see what the LEDs are saying.

Sorry dont understand "LED's" ... you asked for a zoomed out snap? which one?

OK, I'm just going to go a head a work off what you posted. The display indicates Bat: Standby mode, which is correct which the battery is full. It also indicates you're exporting .44KWs to the grid and your household consumption is critical load is zero and your solar generation is zero. I'm not sure if you took the picture recently but if it's displaying 0.0Kws always then that is definitely a sign or two problems not one. The factor your inverter is showing an export while your generating nothing and the battery is not discharging means there is definitely a problem with the Inverter. The Inverter CT clamp is either broken or miss configured. I suspect it's miss configured and you're actually importing .44KWs as opposed to exporting.

You can do a couple checks;

1) If he installed some backup sockets for you (unclear if he did) , plug in something like a kettle and check if you see a positive load beside the lightbulb.

2) Turn on the kettle in the kitchen, does the value for export to the grid increase or decrease or do nothing?

3) When you're generating Solar power (pick mid day) are you exporting or importing from the grid based on what the Inverter shows.

Three Scenarios:

1) The install placed the CT clamp for the inverter in the wrong position.

I think this is what's happened. I think he placed it not in the Consumer unit but beside the inverter and it's seeing all house load as an export. If the Inverter says you're exporting but myenergi says you're not or importing a small amount, thats what has happened.

This would also explain why you are seeing exports at weird times as sometimes the battery needs to rebalance and will just discharge a small amount. The below diagram shows the issue.

2) The install has the CT clamp reversed

If you turn on the kettle and you're exporting more based on the inverter display, then this is what's happening. You can double check this but comparing the number on the inverter with the myenegi app, if they are roughly of the same magnitude, this is what's happening. It doesn't look like it's possible to change the direction of the CT clamp via configuration in the Sofar inverter (it is on other brands such as Solis).

This would explain potentially why the Eddi was coming on all day regardless of excess power.

3) The CT Clamp and meter is was a dud and will need replacement.

Obviously there is another scenario, where the CT clamp is both in the wrong position and reversed.

You may have multiple issues with your install or not. Everything starts with this issue with the Inverter, if you can get that fixed likely you will start seeming the weird behaviour on the Eddi and Harvi.

If you could do the checks above that I've outlined it would rule certain things in or out.

Post edited by Manion on

Thank you for that analysis Manion. We make progress. We have adjusted the settings on the inverter so that it does not power up the battery from 6 am and hold full power until 5 pm. We do not have a night rate so this made no sense. The Eddi is behaving better since the installer did something in December. I have cancelled our request for a smart meter!

That inverter screen pic was taken today after 4 pm with dull sky and rain. No we do not see any CT clamp such as your posted a photo of.

It is 7 30 pm now and I checked the inverter screen... showing export to grid of .47Kw. After I put on kettle the export leapt up to over 3 Kw.

I will give my installer one more chance to remedy the matter. He is back on the job after a christmas break.

OK definitely progress, your clamp is not a dud, so scenario 3 ruled out. We also confirmed that it's not in position 1 in the diagram below as you won't see the kettle load. Could you take a photo of the screen with the kettle on. Not that I doubt you, just to be doubly sure the power is going out not in. At the same time (while the kettle is on) could you note down what the MyEnergi app is saying. If my Energia is showing an import of roughly 3Kw (or whatever the value is on the inverter) then the CT clamp is either reverse or in position 2.

How to determine if it's reversed or in position 2?

Tomorrow once the sun is up you should see some solar power generation on the Inverter. If you don't then you've two problems. Turn on the kettle again in the kitchen, if your inverter shows roughly the same as the Energia app (though in the opposite direction), that means the CT Clamp is in position 2. If the Inverter export load - solar generation is equal to the Energia load then the CT Clamp is reversed. e.g if Solar generation is .3KWs and the inverter shows an export of 2.7kws but the Energia App is showing an import of 2.4Kw's. Or just take a photo of the inverter and Energia app readings tomorrow mid day and we'll work it out for you.

The benefit of this approach is that when the guy comes back to fix it (And someone will have to fix this because there is definitely a problem) you'll be able to validate that everything is working by just turning on a kettle and looking at the inverter screen.

As an Aside: Once you get this sorted out we can chat about what your state of charge should be on the battery and if you have backup sockets. With the Sofar you can set a gird charge to be something like 20% leaving you nearly the full capacity of the battery to balance out your consumption.

Post edited by Manion on

THANK YOU

We had Myenergia chap on phone today to fix up the 'stuck' app... he made us do the kettle trick and the energy flows are correct on the App eg power off the grid now into house. We have just three icons on the App opening display... house, grid and eddi. Myenergi chap said we needed to fix CT clamp to have display of solar on App. Since we got the App ( needed help to get it working then it froze) the green leaf has always been 'zero'.

No we do not have any sockets attached to the battery. Yes it does fall to 20% What happens when we have a series of zero solar energy days? Does the inverter know to keep the battery topped up to the 20%? I presume in last few days it is solar alone that has fed the battery. There was a feed into the Eddi this afternoon also.

We also have the Solarman App and it shows the production and consumption reversed and energy flows wrong also.

Ah right, didn't realize you have an issue with the Energia app as well. Don't worry about the green leaf issue, once you fix the inverter problem solar will show up on the Energia app.

Yes it does fall to 20% What happens when we have a series of zero solar energy days? Does the inverter know to keep the battery topped up to the 20%? I presume in last few days it is solar alone that has fed the battery. There was a feed into the Eddi this afternoon also.

Your inverter is slightly different to mine but once the mode for the battery is set to self use it will automatically charge and discharge the battery and ensure it has the minimum needed power from the grid. If Solar is low it would top up from the grid. On the main display (the one you posted a picture of previous) press down and keep going uptil you see stat of charge. It should be something like maybe 10%.

Given what you've said before the battery was on Time of Use mode, charging up in the morning. I'd actually assume it's 100% because of that. Yer man setting it up that way really made it worthless to you because combined with the inverter CT clamp issue you've just been losing any solar excess generated. Which I suppose wasn't that bad since you have a backwards spinning meter. If it was me with my meter I'd have just lost all the solar. The battery was full so it could not go there and the the CT clamp showed incorrectly you're exporting. Anyway, nearly there.

Post edited by Manion on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

You must have misread my contribution to thread, there was no question. It may be interesting for solar users to reflect on the dead slave children mingled in with cobalt that are charged by their solar panels.

Green revolution, powered by slavery....

It's sad in a way as without the legions of slaves in the green economy, maybe people would have had to cut back on energy usage, SUVs etc. and that in turn might have reduced emissions and extended the life of global oil reserves.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Yeah maybe start a new thread.. maybe some more than just a tagline for some random book that I'm not buying.

Good job there's no cobalt in my batteries. (Or in any of the batteries in solar systems)

Also how cobalt is used in huge quantities in oil refineries.

• Advertisement

You should read a book about the Niger delta if you think oil extraction is victimless. Solar is about harm reduction and absolutely materials should be ethically sourced. There is no alternative world though where in the absence of solar people would have just consumed less. I almost thought you might have a point as I’ve been shocked by the consumerism around EV cars in places like California but no, just a bunch of whataboutery and false equivalence.

Advertisement