Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Hello all, Has anyone experienced an issue with water temp with the Eddi. I'm getting' max temp reached' on the app but no hot water. The system was installed a few months ago and was working fine up to today. The ole 'turn off/on again' didn't work its magic. I guess it might be an issue with the thermostat on the cylinder but before calling a electrician I was wondering if it happened to others and of there was a quick solution. Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭big_show

check the top of the immersion element that's sticking out the tank, there should be a button you can press. press it. eddi can trigger the max temp on those elements and you need to press the button to reset it.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

whats a kind of a ball park cost for an install with say 12 panels. No batteries here. I'd be getting a new water tank. I still have an old copper one…

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Thanks a lot- will give it a go. One last thing, should I cut the power in the house before resetting? Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭idc

Take a look at the quotes thread for better info

Also this is Solar PV so doesn't matter what water tank you have! Heating water from PV is just a side effect of having excess and using an immersion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭big_show

There should be no taking off of safety covers. the button should be visible and should give a click when pressed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's the temp stat that is being "reset", this is under the metal "cup" that covers the immersion, usually with a small nut to undo

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bunderoon

This might sound like a silly question, but is there any impact to an array of panels that is generating DC, but where its not connected to an inverter? Say the DC switch has been opened, separating the live PV DC feed into the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, solar is self-limiting in that respect and the panels just don't generate when there is no load.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

I've the maximum allowed under the ESB rules i.e. 25amp export (5kW hybrid inverter).

Is it possible to add more panels but have them solely feed batteries which could then be used in the evening to feed the house? The thinking is that when the batteries are full the array would shutdown.

I'd like my current setup to continue exporting the maximum possible while at the same time the new setup would charge the batteries for the night. Have my cake as such.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, for sure. It's a DC coupled system and you would use an MPPT to charge the batteries while leaving the inverter to perform the AC coupling. Here's an example product:

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-mppt-ve.can

How both devices would manage the charging of the battery cells between them is another issue though, you might need to research on similar integrations - or maybe it's plug-and-play, I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, looking at the below based on the data in our HDF file, is there anyway I can see what the addition of a 6.96KW panels and 10.4KW battey system that is being installed next week will make to the figures.

What I’m looking for is some sort of pointer to which would be the best TOU deal to sign upto, I’m assuming one that has maybe a small EV window (to make sure batteries are always full first thing in morning) is the right sort of direction, its just some of the high peak rates that scare me.

Currently we are with EI on 22% 24hr rate works out at 25cent ex vat.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭DC999

What I did was run everything at 2am. Then I downloaded the HDF file after maybe 2 weeks and imported into enerypal.ie. It confirmed what I expected. Then I moved provider. In our case the Energia Smart Drive (2-6am cheap rate) was the best. No peak rate on that one.

I'd suggest take a little time. There's a learning curve with solar. And you'll get FIT on units you don't use. So there is less rush to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mjatkey

Perfect, yeah thats what I figured, one thing though that I'm again not sure about, does your supplier have to give you FIT even if you aren't on a TOU tarrif (we have the smart meter)? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭DC999

Yes re "does your supplier have to give you FIT even if you aren't on a TOU tarrif [but are on a smart meter]"

I just had a zappi installed. I have a harvi with the CT around the main incoming feed. It is reporting double the generating figure that is being reported by my Solis inverter.

Any idea why the myenergi device is doing this?

Also the myenergi app isn't showing any export even though the house is only using a few hundred watts at most.

A snip from shelly showing there is in fact export occurring...

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Can you take a photo of the CT setup from the Zappi screen

Yeah, you have the Grid clamped, not your PV generation so that CT1 needs to be changed to GRID

• Advertisement

If you want to see your PV generation (no real need, the Zappi will work fine by tracking export if you want to divert) then you will need to add a CT clamp to the live wire cable feeding from your inverter to CU

Thanks Slave1

I'll make the change after lunch and report back 👍

Edit...change made. It doesn't show what the house is consuming. I thought it would. Do I need additional CTs and relocate Harvi to the distribution board?

Sometimes the ME app does not see house load, could be all is working correctly and you are exporting 2.2kW to the Grid right now.

A kettle is always a good test and it's quite a while since I had just one CT clamp in place so maybe that's all you're going to see, just either import or export

Yeah for it to see the house load it needs a CT on the solar too.

Thanks Graeme

So I moved Harvi inside to the distribution box and clamped the CT to the garage where the inverter is. This is now showing generation and house. A second CT is connecting the zappi to the meter cabinet, this is showing export.

Unfortunately only the export figure is correct. Harvi is still saying I'm generating double what I really am generating and I know this from the inverter.

It seems there could be a fault with Harvi or it's set up incorrectly which is causing it to near double up the generation figures for some odd reason.

Show us the Zappi CT config menu again

You are using the CT that came with the harvi/zappi? A different CT could have a different ratio.

Interestingly this morning at 5:42am the zappi screen didn't show any import...

Myenergi don't provide a CT with the Harvi so I bought a 100A CT from Amazon. Spec below...

Another issue I've since encountered relates to the app. It's been frozen since 3pm yesterday. I've deleted and reloaded the app, removed the zappi and reconnected it but to no avail. Every time I open the app I see the same screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Whenever that happens to me, turning power to Zappi off solves it.

Do you know the current ratio on your ct clamp? Needs to match the original Myenergi.

☀️

Advertisement