Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,232 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

End up with no hot water? That's a load of nonsense. How much hot water can use depends on the cylinder size and how much you need. If you have a standard Irish 120l cylinder heated to 50C then yeah, with a 3-4 bar pump you'll run out in about 10 minutes. So you would have to heat that up again to 50C until anyone else can have that 10 minute shower

We had our 120l cylinder replaced with a 360l cylinder when we had 40 solar thermal tubes installed 7 years ago. Lots and lots of hot water, even for 5 people (including 4 women) who like their showers / baths. But of course even that isn't enough if all 5 want to have a 10 minute shower straight after each other. I would have preferred a 500l tank, but the one we got was the biggest that would fit in the hot press.

In some new builds people are installing 1000l tanks, they simply are a super cheap battery if you have lots of solar PV / thermal or even night rate electricity that is cheaper than fossil fuels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭yankinlk

That is the advantage of pumped versus electric. Kids can stay forever in an electric shower cause it never empties!

Pumped shower with just enough tank size limits the time they spend. Just make sure you get your shower in first!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

AFAIK some of the Triton and possibly Mira electric showers that were available from B&Q, Homemade etc were not pumped as this was more common in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

Since electric showers are being discussed, maybe someone could advise - we're starting a new build and without really thinking about it had been planning to have an electric shower but would we be better off just getting some panels and a pumped shower from the start rather than trying to retro fit them afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Just to clarify a little. Those Mira/Triton electric shower are indeed "gravity fed", but they do contain a pump inside the unit itself. So while you might be feeding it with (say) 0.5bar pressure, the shower unit will get a boost from the unit (probably in the region of 0.5bar I reckon)

Novel SR Quiet Running Thermostatic Power Shower (tritonshowers.ie)

To answer MacDanger's question, it's sort of a personal choice. Also depends a lot on how your heating the water? Do you have a immersion tank or a combi boiler. Heat pump installed etc. If you have an option to install both in the shower unit, I would. It'll look a little odd that you have a mixer along with a electric shower, but you'll have flexibility on swapping easily as your rquirements change. E.g. in summer time my Eddi gives me all the hot water I need, so taking it from the immersion (pumped) is the way to go. Winter time the eddi doesn't always heat the tank.....hence the electric shower is in play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Cheers @bullit_dodger, we have a heat pump for UFH and I'm not sure after that. Something I need to look into I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭THE ALM

We have three showers in the house, 2x en-suite and main bathroom. One of the en-suites is an electric shower with the other two pumped from cylinder.

Although the electric is rarely used, even though it is in the master en-suite, it is handy for when friends and family are staying and as a backup should the hot water cylinder run cold. If I was building I would probably go with the same setup again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,232 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@THE ALM - How come you never use the shower in the master en-suite? Do you shower elsewhere? That seems inconvenient?

I do get your idea of having a (not to be used except in emergency 😂) electric shower somewhere in case the cylinder runs out and people don't want to wait half an hour or more to boost it when they find out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Only two of us in the house so can pick and choose, 1st world problems I know. We could move into the other en-suite bedroom but the one we use is on the south and quieter side of the house.

Before the solar and monitoring all usage it was always used but pulling 9kW!!!!!🤑I'd be locking the door so no one can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭micks_address

im guessing just using the others saves on electricity and its probably just across a hall?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Don't forget to turn the electric shower on every now and then for Legionnaires'

Can you catch Legionnaires’ disease from showers? (wcs-group.co.uk)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

Had same conversation here when building. My wife really wanted an electric shower as a back up but I managed to talk her out of it! My argument was if you are putting in the solar and will have a water tank anyway then you don’t benefit from that if you then go and use an electric shower so it would be purely for back up if you had no hot water in the tank and with solar, boiler and immersion that’s pretty rare or at least can be heated in 15 mins. Did consider 2 showers in one room as suggested above but decided against it and no regrets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

We've a heatpump provide hot water as well as central heating and 4 showers in the house. The water cylinder is 200Litres. Although it is a pressurized system I do find I miss the pressure from a pumped shower unit. What I don't miss is the noise of those units. Lived for years with a Triton T90 and a Mira pump before that and your head would be melted by the sound of it. At the moment we've a great set up with the heat pump and the night rate as I've it all kicking on around 6:30am and getting the hot water up to 50c and going off for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭DC999

Lucky ducks, the lot of ye. We've 1 bathroom + shower + jacks and no bath. 4 peoples (2 kids, 2 adults). Joys of v.small old Dublin houses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭cobham

Well I feel a proper Dummy trying to get my head around all this solar stuff. Nothing makes sense at the moment and we suspect CT clamps wrongly positioned are the problem and want a proper electrician to sort not the installer who does not seem to understand our problem. So the energy flows are all going wrong way as indicated by the displays on the inverter, the Solarman App and the MyEngergi App. We have an Eddi with inbuilt Hub. I notice there is a Harvey in the meterbox with a CT clamp connection to one of the main wires to/from the house. Is this redundant? Shall I remove/dump?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭olympicweights

No they differ. If you look on Screwfix you will find mains fed or gravity fed electric showers giving you the option of pumped or not. Over 20 years ago I bought a few up north but had to return them as they were for mains use only and no pump in the unit.

To help you out could you provide photos of your installation, what the inverter shows and your CT clamp, and also what you're seeing in the app.

Harvey in meter box. I cant see any more CT clamps

There is an arrow on the CT clamp and the arrow should be clamped on the live feed facing towards the consumer unit (load)

But do we need this Harvey? supposed to have hub integrated with Eddi. It seems to be on blackcable and arrow points up to house/fusebox/inverter in room adjacant.

• Advertisement

Lets reset, why do you think there is a problem? You haven't actually said what the issue is. You mentioned there is something on your inverter? Your Eddi and Myenergi shouldn't have anything to do with an issue showing up on your Inverter.

The thing beside you meter is just a wireless CT clamp, it will be sending a signal back to the Eddie to turn it on and off. You would need this for your Eddi to work correctly. It isn't a hub.

Edit: I'm assuming the clamp you showed is the only one, if the Eddi is wired directly to the consumer unit you wont need the harvi.

This is what your set up looks like right? Except you have the order wiring. The arrow on your clamp (the black thing) should be pointed away from the meter as mentioned above.

You have a zappi 2.1 and Eddi 2.1?

One of them needs to be master and the other paired with it.. the master needs a clamp connected to it. In my case that's the zappi.. a clamp is wired from it into my meter box and a clamp on the wire coming out of my meter. It basically allows the myenergi products to know when electricity is being produced by your house supply..either by battery or excess solar. The Eddi is paired to my zappi. In the myenergy app you can set the priority of where you want solar excess to go by dragging around the zappi and Eddi icons. I've mine set to send solar excess to car first then Eddi.. myenergi can't accurately measure solar production if you have a battery with hybrid inverter so there's no point even trying. I've set the export margin on the zappi at 100 watts. That helps avoid any unwanted battery drain.

Sorry I am floundering here. I am mistaking the Harvi for the hub. No we do not have a Zappi, just a battery and Eddi.

I mention the inverter as the readings on its screen were contradicting that of the two apps. At various odd times we were being told that we were exporting to the grid from the solar .... at night on a dull day! or that the house was feeding the grid... The various data feeds seemed to be going to th wrong locations.

The installer set the battery recently to come on at 6 am and charge for few hours off main grid and stay full til 5 pm. I think he thought we had a night rate? That is another issue... now disabled hopefully but must admit the 'advance settings' were confusing. I fail to understand why we should be filling up at battery at dawn to sit there full all day and at a loss of efficiency of 20% compared to just using the power direct from the grid as needed and only excess to the battery. In time we will have an EV and some sort of cheap rate at night time to justify the battery. For the moment we have 24 hr rate energy from grid, no day/night and no smartmeter.

At one stage the Eddi was coming on all day long despite two setting morning and evening as per the timer but the installer seems to have fixed that.

The Myenergy app was 'offline' today. We have been on to them and expect a call back. When it did work, there is no icon /data for solar production. The green leaf at centre of display is always 0%.

It seems to me there is another technician needed to set up new solar systems and advise people like myself. Adjustments need to be made as the seasons change and household demands vary. An annual check up would be handy like we do for our cars, gas boilers, alarm systems etc. The installers just want to get the infrastructure into the premises and be off to the next customer. I have no idea what is happening on my roof. How do I know those panels are connected and operating as they should? I do not wish to become as expert as so many on this group. I think I am one of many.

You have a hybrid inverter that is connected to solar and battery?

CT clamps can go into either Master or Slave (just in case access is easier to get to Slave unit), but typically a user would use up the Master ones first then moving onto the Slave units

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Why do you have a battery or an Eddi in use? Your picture shows an old spinning meter.

Turn off the battery and Eddi and see if your meter spins backwards when you have excess solar, some definitely will.

If it spins backwards fix your current issues and then turn off the Eddi and battery permanently. They make no sense if your meter will go backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,802 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It may or may not be a spinning meter though, they are super rare. Most of those old style ones were fitted in the 90's and have a little widget in them (and a sticker on the front showing this) to stop the meter going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I wouldn't say they are super rare. I know several people with them, only one with solar also though.

But anyone with one should definitely check if it will spin backwards. It is a great setup until they change the meter to a new one.

It's the setup that should be in play regardless, net metering is used extensively with great encouragement success elsewhere... but then we have ESB networks calling the shots here🙄

• Advertisement

Yes it is old style spinning backwards meter ( c 1978). But we will be given smart meter soon (?). I thought it was essential part of solar set up and put in a request for same months back as we had been omitted when neighbours had theirs done. I know now (thankyou boardsies!) that we should try to hang on to it as long as possible. Dummy here does not know what 'hybrid' means. It is 5.1 KW and make is Sofarsolar. By the way what do the initials CT stand for? current transmission??

Advertisement