Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vax/science/lockdown folks facing consequences in the courts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

School closures and nursing home visitor bans were inhumane’ – Nphet member breaks ranks on our Covid response

On the eve of the three-year anniversary of Ireland’s first confirmed case of Covid-19, many of us are still shaking our heads as we look back in disbelief at the hallmarks of the “new normal”.

Some were so inconceivable as to be almost funny: the “substantial meal”; 2km limits; Zoom quizzes; amateur epidemiologists. Others were decidedly not: social distancing; schools closed; families separated; ...

You know what they say about hindsight

That being said, I disagree with a lot of his reasoning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

given the title of the thread i thought this might get more reaction, but i kinda knew it wouldn't,

covid is over

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Pandemic is over. The world dealt with it, everyone is vaccinated. Covid, like seasonal flu, will likely continue to mutate and be around.

The cranks and charlatans will never stop trying to salvage something, anything out of it.

• Advertisement

tbf some of the stuff we had to put up with, people dying without a loved one present etc, was a bit over the top. luckily I didn't have to deal with that situation myself, don't know what way I would have handled it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was done to avoid other people losing loved ones. It was tough either way. Not saying I agree or disagree with it, but decisions were taken to try to save lives even as that had consequences for the dying.

Anyhow, as this isn't directly related to "folks facing consequences in the courts" and the same article is being discussed on the main covid thread so will leave it there for now in terms of this thread.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Margaret Buttimer, 68, and of no fixed abode

Seems to have a stable life

• Advertisement

By all accounts she seems to have led a perfectly normal life prior to covid, during which she seems to have fallen in with a group of anti x/y/z'ers and its made a mess of her life

Ah. Thats sad. Good few people fell down that hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Classic example of someone being radicalised online. Given her age I'd wager it was Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

When you see what can so easily happen online to the likes of a "harmless grandma" it's apparent how disgruntled young men of certain backgrounds can fall into far worse

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CharlieDickens

Kids dont need the covid vaccine, same as they dont need the flu vaccine, it's not anti vax , it's just common sense.

The flu is more risky to kids, yet we never gave them the flu vaccine.

I give my kids the flu vaccine because I'm a responsible parent. You are posting guff.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

I see the usual (smaller) crowd of drunken unemployed loons were at the GPO again yesterday. Their numbers are dwindling with every passing week.

Reply to deleted post - deleted

Just to add, the nasal flu vaccine for kids has been around for 2-3 years now and it's imho worth doing - especially as our kids have a very elderly grandmother we don't want to infect.

I always get the flu jab - the worst illness I ever had was a nasty dose of the flu in my late 20s, I could hardly get out of bed for 2 weeks and it was nearly another 2 weeks until I was myself again. What really sucked was that I was living in a house share at the time, I started to feel ill between Christmas and new year and everyone else was away so it was just me there with no nearby friends or family and online grocery delivery was just a pipe dream. After a few days there was no food left, I was too unwell to ride my motorbike, no car, struggled to walk down to the Spar ten mins away to get cans of chicken soup, bread, etc. it felt like I was walking through treacle with a ball and chain on each ankle. People laugh off the flu but it's easy to see how it can kill. It's only a little over 100 years ago it was killing healthy young people in large numbers.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Edit gone already

Post edited by Dohnjoe on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Anti-Responsibility is a key feature for the "Anti" crowd.

• Advertisement

Shouting at staff didn't work for these 2

RTE news : Mother, daughter in 'no mask' row with Brown Thomas

The special one has been banned from driving.

I was going to quote some bits of the article but honestly I'd be leaving too much out. Have a read, it's honestly astounding the level of stupidity

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Complete space cadets!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Wrong: it's highly unlikely he believes in Space :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems like a fairly futile punishment to ban someone from driving who has been charged for not acknowledging that driving laws and regulations apply to them.

A ban from driving is only of use for people who are not likely to go out and drive without insurance or use fake car number plates etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The laws and punishments (from breaking those laws) apply to everyone. If he is thick enough to ignore the laws and punishments (or to pretend that they don't apply to him), on his head be it but the judge is right to apply the ban. Life is not a game of pretend! You can bet your bottom dollar that if he was wronged in some way, he would make full use of the law to back his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭ltd440

A guy that worked with my wife went down this road too,he would try to convince you that the need for a licence was all in people's heads and lots of other strange ideas.

He became a joke in the workplace, and was let go when the business shrank in the last recession, a pity because for a long time he was a great guy.

Before he started to have his independent thoughts,he started singing the praises of what he saw as natural drugs like weed and mushrooms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can confuse the hell of out people like that by 'agreeing' with the idea, referencing (its from a novel, but that's about as real as anything they could "cite") Sangamons Principle about drug complexity; and then showing them the rather complicated structures of THC (53 atoms) and psilocybin (36 atoms).

THC is one of the "most complicated chemicals" for common recreational drugs if you just count atoms; MDMA, cocaine etc have much lower counts!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd a housemate ask me unprompted recently whether or not I believed in the moon landing. He's unemployed so one would think he'd better things to be getting on with than nagging people about the contents of a TikTok video.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Absolutely right to be banned from driving, but he was already driving illegally so other than the tiny fine they gave him I'm not sure what punishment he has actually received.

For someone who drives for employment to get a driving ban is a punishment, or just any normal person who would understand that being banned from driving means that you cannot drive. But someone who doesn't belive that driving rules exist then hitting them with another rule which they also don't belive exists isn't a punishment.

They probably don't believe that money exists either, but do still use it to buy stuff, so reliving them of significantly more than a hundred euros would be a more appropriate punishment.

Advertisement