Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tourist [BBC]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC 1 New Year's Day at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hard to tell based off that, looks somewhat interesting. Will give it a watch anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, that was an intriguing and odd hour of TV, a little disconcerting in places. What the hell is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

I thought the bit where she spilled the lemonade on him, and thereby he just happened to evade the bomb, was just a bit too coincidental, but then with the revelation that she knows him, it would seem that she deliberately knocked it over ? Plus, I thought that was him in the box ?

Enough in it to bring me back for more I think. I hope this isn’t one of these series that sets up so many angles and questions that it has no way of resolving them coherently (see Lost).

I'll definitely keep watching it but it was a bit strange, that lemonade scene was poor alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

What's he going to do for money?

I like Jamie, good actor.

If this happened in real life surely one picture in the Irish media would sort out the identity issue surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭smithirl

I thought the drink spill scene was a bit obvious too but will keep watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Enjoyed episode 1, tempted to watch it all on iPlayer but night ration it!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Yea, that would be one course of action alright.

Also not a chance of Australian police allowing a foreigner with no idenificiation, immigration papers or money to head off about his business.

He'd be shipped straight away to an immigration camp until his status could be verified.

Apart from that though, decent first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

After watching 3 episodes of this on the iPlayer and it's keeping myself and and the missus interested, some nice scenic shots of the outback to boot. Getting Fargo-esque vibes, especially with the rookie female police officer and semi-incompetent more senior cops. Dornan is half decent and the big bearded Yank is a nasty piece of work. Not sure where it's going exactly and there a few plot holes but we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭dublin49

lots of improbable plot holes already,hard to buy into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched the entire show on the iPlayer, very disappointing.

Looked intriguing in the 1st episode, but it went downhill as it progressed. Far too much silly humour in it too, for something that was not meant to be a black comedy afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

That's a pity. I am half way through the first episode and am liking it. This has caught my attention.

Don't let me stop you watching it. Finish it out yourself and let me know if I haven't a clue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just finished too, very disappointing, a very poor man's Fargo, and farcical the further it developed

That was my worry after the first episode, that they wouldn’t be able to follow through on the original set up. It’s often a failing of this sort of show in my view. They come up with an intriguing initial concept but don’t know how to resolve it. I’ll keep watching though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,113 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I thought it was entertaining enough, with a hint of black comedy, and a few quirky characters, but the end truth ruined the whole series in my opinion.

I thought that it was fairly crap in terms of set-up and tone after about 20 minutes and terminated my viewing experience of this work right there - I'm sticking with my decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

started watching Episode 3 last night and it looked interesting so went back and watched the first 2 episodes on the iPlayer. I'm enjoying it so far; there are a few plot holes (as my Mrs pointed out, the cop could have stuck his picture on Twitter and the nordies would have his name, address and which school he went to identified within an hour). Definite Fargo vibes - oddball criminals and naive small-town cops; the bearded trucker is also very reminiscent of the "warthog from hell" in Raising Arizona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭apache

I'm enjoying this. On third episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Weird seeing Dewey Crowe with his actual Aussie accent 😂

I am on the third episode...enjoying it so far. One huge issue...that f#cking fiancee of the cop....

Someone please tell me that f#cking idiot gets killed off? He is literally the worst person in the whole show. Also the guy playing him is a horrible actor.

Yeah, she really, really needs to tell him to fluck right off with himself ! Maybe he’ll start a gay affair with the dance teacher ! I’m liking it ok overall. Though how the hell did the trucker climb up out of that well ?

Yeah I kinda thought that too....but I'd rather he is killed tbh...

Yeah that didn't make much sense

Was joking about the gay affair. I assume she will stand up to him eventually, hope so anyway.

Starts on RTE 2 at 9.30pm on Wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Watched the first couple of episodes and it began to fall apart a bit for me halfway through the second one....the plot holes and general plot quirks are really starting to add up.

Like when they drove out to the quarry in the middle of a sandstorm, got lost within sight of their destination and then drove all the way back to the helicopter guys to go back to the quarry. And then everyone carried on like finding a dead guy in a barrell was an everyday occurrence.

I'll probably stick with it having said that as it's only six episodes

Season 2 being filmed here

The new series will also feature Francis Magee (bad guy Bren in Kin), Diarmaid Murtagh (Vikings), Nessa Matthews (Fair City) and Mark McKenna (Sing Street) as various members of the McDonnell family

https://www.buzz.ie/tv/the-tourist-series-2-dornan-30723979

• Advertisement

S1 was just OK, probably won't bother tuning into S2 until I read some reviews first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 starts New Years Day on the BBC and will be based in Ireland this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

This is crap. I gave up on it after a few episodes.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭crushproof

Judging by the trailer it looks like the usual BBC old twee Oireland on show in the season two. Old cars, tiny pubs and half derelict homes.

Can't imagine it'll be very good.

Reviews of season 2 seem really good might give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't watch S1

Is S2 a new storyline that I would be able to follow or would I need to have seen S1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Is a mad auld show, so many random things going on! Wicklow sure does look pretty in it though, beautifully shot. Should be good for tourism!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steinbock123

The chase on foot when he escaped from the van - absolutely ridiculous.

He decides to shave his enormous beard in a public toilet - absolutely ridiculous.

He’s held captive in a sea cave that has electricity and piped tv of some sort - absolutely ridiculous.

The girlfriend never mentions to the idiot Garda that she’s an Australian policewoman- absolutely ridiculous.

They go off to track down the van on foot, when there’s Garda cars galore available- absolutely ridiculous.

By now, you’ll have twigged that I think the whole story is absolutely ridiculous. ( but I’ll still watch it tomorrow)😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,013 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's tripe so far I'm afraid.

Completely jumped the shark.

CPL 593H

Yeah, it’s nonsense really. I like the two leads, and I enjoyed season one, but Jesus, jumping the shark is putting it mildly. Now there’s a murdered dead body left lying around, and the obligatory hapless Guard turns up on his own, and runs away from the scene because there’s a bad guy there.And they don’t send anyone to arrest the prime suspect, even with an eye witness ? Plus, Janie Dorian clearly has a Northern accent, but his mother doesn’t, and suddenly he’s from the south. I get that an international audience probably wouldn’t get that, but it still grates. I’ll probably keep watching though, sucker that I am.

• Advertisement

You made my mind up for me.

Watched first series, was bang average so won't be wasting any more time on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭boccy23

Enjoyed S1 but the first 2 episodes on S2 mean I'm out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Madd002

Husband says after 5 mins into it what shite are you watching no head nor tail to it, I jumped when the mother stabbed yer man in the head. Laughed at the rest it was so bad, the detective with a full size house downstairs and a doll.😅 Watched s1 so will carry on it can't get any worse can it.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

On episode 5 - I'm not a quitter!

Scenery is amazing but it's killed our tourist industry - place is full of nutters and gangsters! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Guys is episode 2 repeated ? Don't have a vpn or iplayer....... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭robwen

Episode 1 is repeated 3.15am Monday morning BBC 2

Episode 2 is repeated 2.05am Tuesday morning BBC 2

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

The mother reminds me of Terence Stamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The mother (Olwen Fouéré) was the best thing about Season 2 (Francis Magee as Frank McDonnell also did a decent job). While there were still a few occasional laughs, jumping the shark (had to google that one!) perfectly describes the second season. I had more fun trying to identify the filming locations than I did from following the disjointed storyline.. Pure stubbornness kept me watching.

Contains final episode spoilers:

That entire storyline about Detective Ruairi Slater and his dead wife - was utterly pointless and only served to distract from the main storyline. Maybe the producers just felt that the main storyline didn't have enough meat to carry the entire season.

A dream sequence - really? Some of which took place when Helen wasn't even in the same room - so she's effectively having vivid dreams about other people doing things that are not related to her storyline.

The diver being the next door neighbour to Detective Ruairi - screams of over-spend on the location budget! Or maybe the whole thing is one big dream sequence (within a dream sequence) à la Inception.

Ethan Krum - if you're going to import a character from a separate storyline for light relief - at least give him some funny lines.

Searching the taxi company archives - which must have occupied 10 minutes of on-screen time - more padding.

The big reveal - everyone is related to everybody. So Elliot's son is also his... cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BobbinAlong

Anyone identify the hotel where Elliot and Helen stayed? The interiors look familiar but I can't place it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement