Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tourist [BBC]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 starts New Years Day on the BBC and will be based in Ireland this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

This is crap. I gave up on it after a few episodes.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭crushproof

Judging by the trailer it looks like the usual BBC old twee Oireland on show in the season two. Old cars, tiny pubs and half derelict homes.

Can't imagine it'll be very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Reviews of season 2 seem really good might give it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,280 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I didn't watch S1

Is S2 a new storyline that I would be able to follow or would I need to have seen S1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mollser

Is a mad auld show, so many random things going on! Wicklow sure does look pretty in it though, beautifully shot. Should be good for tourism!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

The chase on foot when he escaped from the van - absolutely ridiculous.

He decides to shave his enormous beard in a public toilet - absolutely ridiculous.

He’s held captive in a sea cave that has electricity and piped tv of some sort - absolutely ridiculous.

The girlfriend never mentions to the idiot Garda that she’s an Australian policewoman- absolutely ridiculous.

They go off to track down the van on foot, when there’s Garda cars galore available- absolutely ridiculous.

By now, you’ll have twigged that I think the whole story is absolutely ridiculous. ( but I’ll still watch it tomorrow)😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

It's tripe so far I'm afraid.

Completely jumped the shark.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, it’s nonsense really. I like the two leads, and I enjoyed season one, but Jesus, jumping the shark is putting it mildly. Now there’s a murdered dead body left lying around, and the obligatory hapless Guard turns up on his own, and runs away from the scene because there’s a bad guy there.And they don’t send anyone to arrest the prime suspect, even with an eye witness ? Plus, Janie Dorian clearly has a Northern accent, but his mother doesn’t, and suddenly he’s from the south. I get that an international audience probably wouldn’t get that, but it still grates. I’ll probably keep watching though, sucker that I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You made my mind up for me.

Watched first series, was bang average so won't be wasting any more time on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭boccy23

Enjoyed S1 but the first 2 episodes on S2 mean I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Husband says after 5 mins into it what shite are you watching no head nor tail to it, I jumped when the mother stabbed yer man in the head. Laughed at the rest it was so bad, the detective with a full size house downstairs and a doll.😅 Watched s1 so will carry on it can't get any worse can it.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

On episode 5 - I'm not a quitter!

Scenery is amazing but it's killed our tourist industry - place is full of nutters and gangsters! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Guys is episode 2 repeated ? Don't have a vpn or iplayer....... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

Episode 1 is repeated 3.15am Monday morning BBC 2

Episode 2 is repeated 2.05am Tuesday morning BBC 2

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The mother reminds me of Terence Stamp

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The mother (Olwen Fouéré) was the best thing about Season 2 (Francis Magee as Frank McDonnell also did a decent job). While there were still a few occasional laughs, jumping the shark (had to google that one!) perfectly describes the second season. I had more fun trying to identify the filming locations than I did from following the disjointed storyline.. Pure stubbornness kept me watching.

Contains final episode spoilers:

That entire storyline about Detective Ruairi Slater and his dead wife - was utterly pointless and only served to distract from the main storyline. Maybe the producers just felt that the main storyline didn't have enough meat to carry the entire season.

A dream sequence - really? Some of which took place when Helen wasn't even in the same room - so she's effectively having vivid dreams about other people doing things that are not related to her storyline.

The diver being the next door neighbour to Detective Ruairi - screams of over-spend on the location budget! Or maybe the whole thing is one big dream sequence (within a dream sequence) à la Inception.

Ethan Krum - if you're going to import a character from a separate storyline for light relief - at least give him some funny lines.

Searching the taxi company archives - which must have occupied 10 minutes of on-screen time - more padding.

The big reveal - everyone is related to everybody. So Elliot's son is also his... cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BobbinAlong

Anyone identify the hotel where Elliot and Helen stayed? The interiors look familiar but I can't place it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

What's the Garda height requirement, being as the fella who played the melancholy Guard is 5 feet 1.5inches.

I assumed that all the other actors were really tall until I looked him up on IMDB. 😛

Despite the sharks jumping all over the place, I thought it was okay. 🙃

They must be thinking of a 3rd series if the burning file at the end of episode 6 is anything to go by.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The height requirement was abolished a few years ago (2021?)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭SM01

Nearly finished season 2. I'm not sure why I'm persevering, it's awful shyte. All over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I quite enjoyed S1, but started the second last night and had to give up after episode 1. Absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

That really was tripe. I sort of enjoyed season 1 (until the finale, which I hated), but season 2 was woeful.

Anyone looking for a really excellent show staring the young Mark McKenna should check out Wayne. Think it's still on All4. A million times better than this auld shìtè and criminal that it didn't get picked up for multiple seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

Just do not put yourself through it. It wasn't worth it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

I just started watching it. Have first episode watched. It's very bad in places but some good scenes which make me want to keep on watching.

Hate the parody of the Guard but thought his doll fetish was good. 😂

I'd say I'll watch it all. I thought it was a comedy when I first started watching it and was going to knock it off but I'm on episode 2 now and it's keeping me watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Just watched S2 and it's a complete load of nonsense. I wonder if Australian viewers felt the same about S1? It definitely doesn't help when you're aware of how much a show or movie is distorting reality; people living in LA must be driven demented by it.

The most entertaining thing about it, as a Wicklow dweller, was trying to figure out the locations (the Garda station and depressed detective's house were both in Bray, the pointless car chase was in Greystones). But really really stupid and as mentioned above, some scenes and plotlines were there just to fill extra time with no relevance to the (ridiculous) main plot.

I mean, they needed to find details of a taxi journey from 40 years ago - it's daft that they would even think that it was possible in the first place, but to then find the same taxi company is still operating and is the only taxi company in the world that has a warehouse full of paper records going back decades, and to then actually find the relevant receipt, and to then find the buried suitcase in the middle of nowhere. And no mention at all of the taxi company owner being a key go-between in the gang war.

• Advertisement
Advertisement