Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew McGinley being pulled from Late late show

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It is all our business. Rte is funded by the taxpayers and is a public company - transparency is required

• Registered Users Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Why is it our business?

Even if the right to the information exists (thankfully rte can refuse requests, as they do apparently in a third of all requests they receive), why would you want to read a letter from her family?

It’s not to do with her specific family

it’s the principle that apparently now RTÉ simply will pull guests from appearing if someone writes in a sob story letter complaining.

Given the circumstances, I think we can all guess what is in that letter. Whether it was right or not for RTE to act on it by removing Mr McGinley is a separate matter. I do not see the benefit of letting people such as yourself derive some pleasure from reading what must be an excruciatingly painful letter for RTE to do what they did.

• Advertisement

I’m not getting any pleasure whatsoever

im annoyed the real victim (husband) has been silenced by RTÉ because someone apparently wrote in to block his appearance.

And you want to see just how sad that letter is? Have you any concept of how that appears?

No I want to understand this new RTÉ policy of blocking victims from going on their shows

For Gods sake, you know that they stood him down due to letters received from his wife’s family. No doubt they must have been extremely painful letters to write and for RTE to do what they did. You wanting those letters published just to see how sad they are is sickening. The letters were not for your entertainment or titillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Trying to reduce it to "real victim" vs "someone" is very disingenuous - it's an awfully sad and complex situation, and there's multiple victims throughout the family. And standing upon the principle that RTE is publicly funded, and therefore there must be 100% transparency to the random general public, and screw any respect of the privacy of the people involved, is just cold hearted. I know RTE, and the LLS invoke strong feelings in some people, but to use this situation to grid that axe isn't appropriate. As was pointed out already, if you really cared that much, there's nothing stopping you from doing your own FOI request for the letter and associated discussion, but I suspect that in your heart you know that doing so would be crass, insensitive and wrong. I would very much hope they wouldn't provide it anyway.

When I say that there's multiple victims, that's not to diminish Mr. McGinley's status, grief or loss at all. He's been left in an unbelievably heartbreaking situation, and I'm as saddened by it as much as I am impressed at the strength he has shown in how he is dealing with it. I hope his charities and endeavours do very well, and long may he continue to honour his children and keep their memory alive.

RTE and the LLS aren't some kind of malevolent behemoth, deciding on a whim whether to elevate or crush unsuspecting citizens. There's people working there, normal people like you and me, trying to do their best getting though life. They get a request from Mr. McGinley asking if he could go on an publicise his charities, and they think "Good idea, that will work". Then they get a letter from the family explaining personal circumstances and implications, and they think "Ok, maybe not this time". It's not an affront to the tax payer or public transparency. It's an editorial decision informed by humanity, fallible as it often is. Maybe there's no right answer to this. Everything doesn't have to be a scandal, played out in the court of public opinion.

As an aside, I don't get the status the LLS has, even among it's vehement detractors. I don't watch it myself (I will be half-watching the Toy Show with my kids tonight, but that's a once-a-year occurrence), but from memory and bits I've seen and read, it's a poor to middling entertainment show. What it does, who it has on, is not the end all and be all of life. There was a time when it had cultural clout, but those days are long gone. I've no doubt Mr. McGinley is disappointed he didn't get to appear. But it's really a matter for him and the family to sort out. The LLS is caught in the middle. The rest of us are looking on from the outside, and should really just move on instead of rubbernecking.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Advertisement

What say do you usually have over the guest that appear on the late late?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Your obsession with this letter is absolutely ghoulish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Best post I’ve read in ages. You are 100% on the money. People working in RTE are just worker bees like the rest of us. They made what they thought was the best decision in difficult circumstances. Just because others would have made a different decision doesn’t mean there is any scandal.

I also agree that I don’t get what the big deal about the LLS show either. I’m not an RTE basher, but I agree it has lost the status it once had in an Ireland where for most people it was the only entertainment option they had on a Friday night.

I don’t dislike Tuburidy but I had to switch the Toy Show off last year the whole thing was so manic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Beatty69 do not post in this thread again

If there is any further baseless speculation, or completely inappropriate insinuations, the thread will be closed

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭carfinder

That's very interesting to have someone familiar with the procedures of the CMH ... I thought she was found not guilty by reason of insanity, therefore, if not guilty, and she's no longer insane, surely she would be released and not sent to a general prison🤔. I thought only those found guilty of crime end up in general prison. Please elaborate more on your familiarity with the CMH procedures

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

It's a news story now, he was being interviewed on the news programme about the fact that his invitation to speak on the Late Late was retracted.

By any definition, this is de-platforming: RTE unresponsive to ‘devastated’ McGinley’s request to appear on three shows (msn.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not by this defintion: To me, it was an editorial decision, supported by BAI regulations.

deplatform

/diːˈplatfɔːm/

verb

1. prevent (a person holding views regarded as unacceptable or offensive) from contributing to a forum or debate, especially by blocking them on a particular website.

Advertisement