Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew McGinley being pulled from Late late show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yes, unless you have a specific reason for seeking the information.

Do you have a specific reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

I’m torn on this one. Her family are very much victims too & perhaps they just need a break especially if they are being subject to abuse which might kick off again after the Late Late. I don’t see any public interest argument in seeing the letter. Her family have been through enough, let them have some privacy. From what Mr. McGinely said they were heavily involved in helping look after his wife.

I understand for Mr.McGinely it’s a way of coping. He can still do the charity without the Late Late.

A lot of people are struggling mentally during Covid. A lot of women with post natal depression, OCD etc worry that they might harm their children. The supports for women post childbirth are much much less during Covid. That needs to be a consideration as well. Maybe talking about the case on prime time TV isn’t the best idea at the moment.

By the law she is not a murderer. Not guilty by reason of insanity. The old version guilty but insane should never have been changed

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

If private members of the public can influence editorial decisions or censor people talking about things they don't like on the publicly funded broadcaster then, yes, we do deserve an explanation. This story is a public interest story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Post up the login for your email account there, let us all have a good look around at what you send and receive. Screenshots of all your text messages, WhatsApps, etc., too. Not being nosey, of course; purely for the noble purposes of FOI. We deserve it.

• Advertisement

There was a whole program about similar cases broadcast a couple of weeks ago.

Are you obliged by law to pay an annual fee to the other poster? Is the other poster obliged to provide current affairs and public interest programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Absolutely bang on the money I'd say. In response to being pulled, Andrew himself has said that he never has and never will discuss anything about Deirdre which isn't already in the public domain. The appearance was to herald the launch of a charity initiative. Reading between the lines, the letter probably claimed that they were worried what would be said, and RTE legal have no spine, so pulled it.

Hopefully though RTE's stupid decision will yield more publicity for this initiative than any LLS appearance. I follow the guy on Twitter, I absolutely do not understand how he manages to go on, and I'm in awe of him for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I feel sorry for the man, but I think eventually he has to move on with his life. His twitter page is like he hasn't accepted that his kids are gone. I don't think the LLS is the right forum for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I agree. Irish media in general and the LLS in particular is one seemingly never ending parade of misery of misfortunes and terminal illnesses. You would think at a time like now they'd have more things to give people a lift rather than drag them down further.

Again, every sympathy but I'm sure the LLS is not the only means to publicise his event.

• Advertisement

I don't know, maybe they are, maybe they're not. But we'll never find out if they're not transparent. Do they have something to hide? Do you have something to hide? Could you send us the same information, please. It's in the public intertest to for us all to see what your motivations are for this post. New reg, multiple posts defending BWPs (or is it BWSs? - there's another unanswered question) position? Very suspicious - we deserve transparency!

I mean, if you wanted to be difficult and an obstruction to true freedom of information, you could limit it to just all your correspondence with State, Semi State and publicly funded bodies: Revenue, Department Of Health, Social Welfare, hospitals, schools, etc. Our taxes pay for those. We deserve to know what influence you, a private citizen, have on these publicly funded bodies.

All his children were killed. Imagine it. he can do what he likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Well he can't go on the LLS.

As I said, he needs to deal with his grief and try to move on with his life, or he'll end up driving himself demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From what I remember the mother from Kilkenny who's sons were killed by there father was on the Late Late.

I'm fairly sure the lady from Charville who's sons were killed by their brother was also on the Late Late.

Similarly the woman from Ballycotton who's kids were killed by their dad also appeared on stuff on RTE over the years.

There's being a few other cases people who've appeared on programs over the years.

Now some cases it was simply murder and other mental health also played apart.

So, you do wonder will letters from families change what RTE airs in the future.

But how can he do that? It's easy for someone not in his situation to say, but just try to imagine the horror. All of his children - every one of them, gone. By their mother. How would anyone move on? It can't be possible. It's only recent also. And he is likely already attending therapy. Any bit of moving on will probably take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Gusser09

All depends what was in the letter. We'd need to see that.

Shocker of a decision from RTE based on what we have heard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The late late was meant to be a light entertainment show, but week in-week, week-out that ghoul Tubridy has some awful tragedy on it. It's exploitative tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The strange thing is whilst the Late Late Show is a misery feast they've aired people who just wants to talk about grief, how the killer is evil, etc.

This fella from my understand just wanted to talk about his kids and then to promote charity to help other kids.

Since when? It has light entertainment content but it has also dealt with taboo social issues since the 60s.

Maybe it was a decision from sheer compassion. Maybe her family just mentally can’t take anymore. Mr.McGinely has said her family were involved in her care. Maybe they feel horribly guilty, which wouldn’t be warranted but guilt is often not rational. Maybe one of them can’t cope or their kids are getting abuse in school etc. We live in a small country. I feel really sorry for all of them.

This case has gotten a ton of publicity. I completely understand that Mr.McGinely is in an a horribly unique situation in that he has lost in entire family at once. I understand that charity work gives him a purpose & think the snowman colouring is lovely.

At times the Late Late is just too much sadness. We are at the height of Covid again. A bit of random celeb nonsense would do us good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

The woman killed her three children...disguise it anyway you want...

its still pure evil..

I have to admit, I don't know exactly how to respond when you clearly don't even understand the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You see, we say "move on", in the sense that something tragic happens to us, but we still have all of our other life plans to be getting on with. Our parents die, we lose the use of an eye, get divorced, even a child or a partner dies.

But we still have people depending on us, life plans that can go on with a small change or redirection. That doesn't apply in this case. Andrew has nothing to "move on" to. All of his plans for the rest of his life have been torn up and destroyed in front of him, irretrievable.

He can't "move on", he has to rebuild everything from scratch. Come up with a new plan, new reasons to make life worth living, new goals. All while grieving irreconcilably for the life he had which is now gone. At least five lives were completely irrevocably destroyed when those children were killed.

He has chosen to rebuild his new life based on his old life, to do good works in the names of his children. And if that's what he does with the rest of his life and he is still talking about his children in 40 years' time, then who is anyone to tell him he should have "moved on".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is it.

the man has had his whole family wiped out by his wife and for some reason RTÉ decided he wasn’t going to be let on air.

You have to ask why.

Well, just respond with the information I've requested, please.

In the meantime, you can request the information you want from RTE here: https://about.rte.ie/freedom-of-information-foi/how-can-i-make-an-foi-request/

It is a completely unique situation. The horrible reality is that no matter what has happened to you in life, life goes on around you. The kids of his friends and family will obviously grow up around him & people will move on.

I hope for his sake that when Andrew is talking about his kids in 40 years time that it is a part of a bigger picture & that he will have managed to build some sort of life for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

All broadcasters have to adhere to the BAI codes. RTE say that they did so, in this case.

An RTÉ spokeswoman said that it understood “the immense grief of Mr McGinley and the sensitivities around this tragedy” and that it was obliged to adhere to Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) codes “when dealing with such sensitive issues”.

It is understood that the broadcaster decided not to proceed with the interview on the basis that representation from some members of Ms Morley’s family fell under its obligation to adhere to the “protection from harm” principle of the BAI code of programme standards.

Principle three of the code recognises that there are “some viewers and listeners who, by virtue of their age, particular circumstances or vulnerability, may be in need of special consideration”.

Yep. I think the fact that he's still here is an achievement.

I'll have to explain it to you. I am a private citizen, you are a private citizen. Our private business with the state or with other people is not of public interest unless either we or the state have broken some law or regulation or there is a requirement under transparency guidelines/regulations.

RTE is a state funded broadcaster with a requirement to provide public interest broadcasting, news current affairs, Irish culture and social issues etc. It's editorial decisions are therefore a matter of public interest. In this case a decision was made to interview Andrew on the Late Late Show. This invitation was then withdrawn due to the intervention of private individuals, despite the facts being a matter of public record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That was politics and it hasn't strayed into that territory since the Gaybo and early Kenny era. Something of a shame tbh as that was actually interesting and could be argued that it promoted at least an examination of attitudes at the time.

Every week there is some awful story on it now, a cancer sufferer, medical error, person recovering from mental health issues among other personal tragedies. And when I say every week, I mean every week. Sure it's known as the misery slot by those that frequently watch the show. It's ghoulish and exploitative.

Advertisement