Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andrew McGinley being pulled from Late late show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

He is completely entitled to speak about his children as he pleases, in-laws should have no say in the matter. I'm sure it's unpleasant but that's life, he's the victim here. Why do their feelings trump his?

He is also very hurt that they couldn't have discussed this on the phone, instead they went over his head to RTE and blindsided him. I'm sure they are hurting but he should be the primary concern in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So that you can direct vitriol and hatred towards them?

There's no other reason, unless its self gratification.

There are young children involved on her side who were cousins of Andrew's 3 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

it could do with a review. Perhaps some of the stories would better sit in other RTE programmes. Death & suffering are part of life. If Im correct I think Andrew’s slot was the same night as Vicky Phelan. Nothing against either, I’d stress I really really admire both & Vicky is a national hero IMO but the other segments on that night should have been light entertainment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Coming up to Christmas every year, I get bombarded with charity requests in the post, more than at other times. He was due on the LL show on 08 October, but there was no publicity that I am aware of at that time. If he is seeking to promote fundraising by raising it at this stage, fair enough, a lot of charities seem to do it. Or there could be some other reason it is only getting reported now?

“RTÉ spoke to Mr McGinley and also wrote to him a number of weeks ago explaining our reasons not to proceed with the planned interview on The Late Late Show on Friday 8th October.

“We have not commented on the specifics of our contacts with MrGinley. We have also respected the confidentiality of the representations we received from other family members".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Sorry you may have misunderstood me. All I am saying is RTE could say why they did what they did (Seems they may have and if so I stand corrected). I don't want to direct any vitriol towards them I would have thought my first sentence would have said that. Her family deserve all privacy in this as those others in his family maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It seems a precedent has been set if any story upsets any family members than that story cannot be aired

He is absolutely aside from his children the primary victim, he is not the only victim.

There has been a huge amount of publicity around this case & Andrew has given a lot interviews already including the Late, Late. The statement from RTE mentioned something about bad timing. Perhaps a family member is ill, or something else is afoot. They have already had a court case to deal with this year. Their sister is still alive and they may be involved in her care. Andrew always speaks with great love about his children but he has to know that there is a somewhat ghoulish interest in the actions of his wife & how his children died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the woman was ( perhaps still is ) extremely mentally ill , evil people dont do things like that to their own kids , you never hear of the most violent drug lords doing such things yet they are still undoubtably evil .

There was to be nothing ghoulish about the interview though, it was to promote charities and he said himself he would have been aware that the kid's schoolfriends would be watching. In all of these cases both sets of families are the victims, but the primary victim's feelings should be most pertinent, and now look at the mess and hurt it has caused.

It was a man harmlessly trying to turn the worse lost imaginable into something positive and now look.

I know. I take your point. It’s a difficult one. Regardless of the content of the interview it will cause people to comment on what happened again & I understand that some family members may just have had enough at this stage. Even in this thread which isn’t about the case itself the word “evil” is being used. I feel sorry for him, and I feel sorry for him. It may have been better to let it go ahead but factor in the concerns in the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

Apparently she's not. It was reported that right after murdering her kids she was started on Olanzapine (An anti-psychotic drug) and the psychosis went away.

She is now sitting in the CMH relatively sane which in itself is extremely sad.

Post edited by RossGeller on

The direct victims are the children who where killed. Primary victim is a phrase which is used in law for different circumstances than in this case. You are making your judgement with no knowledge of what representations were made in the letter.

If anyone is being hurt by this decision it is just him. If the publicity is causing anyone else hurt, that is a consequence of it being made public. RTE did not comment at the time they made the decision, before 08 October, and they also respected the confidentiality of the correspondence they received.

I obviously meant that he is the main victim between the two parties involved in this disagreement, not that he is the primary victim in this entire case. And how do you know his own family are not hurt by this?

Pretty cold and callous take anyway.

the bar is extremely high nowadays to class someone as mentally ill , she should have been incarcerated long before this atrocity occurred

Incarcerated for what?

Do you mean committed? She definitely spent time in St. Patrick's Hospital in 2019, her condition was labelled as depressive episodes.

she had a history of mental instability , its a tragedy pre emptive action wasnt taken , I would never label her " evil " , she was extremely sick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ah, would you give over. RTE didn't "de-platform" him, and you're spoofing about it being indefinite.

He was interviewed about it on none other than RTE's News At One yesterday!

https://www.rte.ie/news/player/2021/1124/22034689-bereaved-father-discusses-canceled-late-late-appearance

I'm familiar with the procedures of the CMH and if she was actually sane, she would be transferred to a general prison. I'm not aware of the facts of her (medical) case though.

How can you determine what is "completely sane"? Do you think a person who is prescribed olanzapine isn't mentally unwell? How do you know her current medical status?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,258 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Oh I knew you would appear alright. It appears Tubridy is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. How often have you and your cohort slagged off RTE and XYZ presenter for misery slots? When an extremely sensitive issue gets pulled from the show - you STILL manage to find a way to slag that decision off. Well done.... I think you need to have a look at what you are posting at this stage and ask yourself if you could spend your time a tad more productively. I know you proudly claim it is your mission to slag off Tubridy at least once a day. But there comes a time where you surely must question yourself - extremely sensitive issue. Have I crossed the line there? etc

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

But she can't be transferred to a prison, she was found not guilty.

As an aside I understand that Andrew said today/yesterday that he wants to spend the rest of his life keeping his children’s memories alive as they had such short lives. His childrens’ lives will always be remembered by him & those who knew & loved them. They were gorgeous little kids. There’s a clip of the two boys on playing “Princess and the Frog” with their little sister that would melt the coldest heart.

It’s a heartbreaking statement & while I hope he continues with the charities, I also hope that it doesn’t consume him as much as time goes on, and that he can do other things and maybe even consider a new relationship. He’s not an old man perhaps he could have another child, not to replace the ones he lost obviously, just because he clearly loved being a dad so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I think it's extremely poor from whoever in the wife's family wrote the letter to RTE - the man wanted to promote his charity and it's really no business of theirs to decide how he does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Second paragraph of the post you replied to:

"We don't know if that's what happened here of course but that's another big problem with RTE - the complete and utter lack of transparency and accountability to the people who fund them."

Life ain't always empty.

And the first sentence:

RTE have a long and undistinguished history of cowardice and caving in to dubious legal pressure.

It is not a big or a little problem for me that RTE did not publish the personal or legal correspondence in this case. Or that they decided not to publicise the decision they took in response. It does not constitute a lack of transparency or accountability. We are both licence payers, but obviously with a radically different outlook on what we should expect for our money.

I am not aware of any previous cases where dubious legal pressure resulted in RTE caving in??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,965 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pantigate.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I mean is this now the new approach from RTÉ ?

if a member of a criminal or murderers family writes in a sob story to RTÉ then the victim can’t appear??? Eh like what the f is that about?

we need to see what was in that letter it sounds pure dodge

Post edited by Beechwoodspark on

It obviously does not apply to all RTE programmes. He was interviewed on RTE radio a couple of days ago. Don't include me in the "we", I don't want to see any letter.

Lol

you never give up! It is not your business what was in the letter.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Documentary on joe o Reilly on RTÉ Monday night.This will affect his two teenage sons and should be stopped.

Advertisement