Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for an Impact wrench under €200, recommendations?

Options
  • 18-11-2021 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

As title states, looking for an impact wrench in that price range, that includes a battery also, I have some deep impact sockets, not sure if i need impact rated extensions?

Something that can make light work of wheel lug nuts and subframe bolts and the likes, I saw a Ryobi set in halfords for around €200 but if anyone has some better recommendations I'm all ears. Thanks

Comments

I do not recommend these battery toys. Pneumatic 200eur is very good, battery is toy tools only. Small nuts/bolts yes but nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I don't have an air compressor and I'm a casual DIY'er I would like something portable and convenient. Battery operated impact wrenches are more than capable from what I've seen.

200eur is too small budget. Increase that and you may get better impact, bigger battery pack and may be additional battery pack. Ryobi have tiny 2Ah battery and 400Nm. In real life it is good if you get 1/3th from maximum. Very bold statement "It can remove up to 50 wheel nuts on a single charge." Even 600EUR tool struggles by 4Ah battery pack to remove 50 wheel nuts.

Only positive side is they do not lie about rated voltages, but they need to pay royalty from that. Many other brands tells 20V what is big fat lie. Exactly like there is no 12V rated cordless tools battery packs. All Li-ion is 3x3.6V=10.8V rated voltage (except old NiMh). But it is such a "fun to see" how people think it is real and use these for fake car startup videos on youtube. And millions of viewers believe it is the real deal...

By the way look closer the halfords pictures. The starter kit picture have a 5.0Ah battery, that may be bust the 50 wheel nuts. https://cdn.media.halfords.ie/i/washford/826047a?w=3180&h=1287&qlt=default&fmt=auto

Smell like a fish...

My budget is 200 that's all I can afford to spend, I know the brushed motor impacts give off a smell of a little while when you first use them but it soon fades away, I know I'll get what I pay for, I'm just asking what would be the best option for the price range, I don't need to hear spend more money and get a better tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irish_wolf

If that's your budget do yourself a favour and just get a big ole breaker bar. There's no nut out there that cant be loosened with the right application of leverage and possibly some sort of penetrating oil, just don't strip the head with crap sockets. Sure it'll take you longer but you'll get the job done.

You are completely right! OP may not agree that but it is what it is. Invest to hand tools and forget the "toy" battery tool problems. By 200eur you get fancy set of tool. Lifetime warranty

I have a halfords advanced long breaker bar already, I'm just looking for something that would make a job easier on the body without spending big money for a high end impact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I picked up a corded Draper one for about 110 ish if you don't mind dragging an extension lead out with you.

Have a Milwaukee one for most of the jobs and the Draper one when more oomph is needed.

Milwaukee one isn't powerful enough for wheel nuts usually (next one up was out of budget) but the Draper one handles them no problem. Also handled a few tricky to loosen suspension/subframe bolts easy enough.

• Advertisement

I could get over having to plug it in, are corded ones cheaper and more powerful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have that Ryobi gun (think its the same model) and found it very handy for wheel nuts and stubborn suspension bolts. Its not going to do everything but for that price is a good addition to a toolbox for a home DIY'er and I have no complaints from using it.

At the moment halfords have a deal on where you buy the ryobi starter impact wrench set and get a free 4v ryobi screwdriver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Thats the one, UK plug on it. It's larger than a cordless one so could be a bit bulky, depending how high off the ground the car is.

I think it works out cheaper because Draper wouldn't be as up there as Milwaukee and it's less convenient than a cordless one.

Absolutely fine for a diy mechanic though, for all the use it'll be getting. I got both of them because I had a pain in my hole struggling with stiff bolts in awkward spots.

Bought a decent Bosch one but couldn't remove a wheel nut ,not my primary use for it anyhow

Mechanic said he would have told me not to bother ,he used a regular breaker bar to loosen it

The heavy duty Dewalts and Milwaukees will loosen tractor nuts etc dunno about 200 though

I've settled on that draper corded impact wrench seems to be best value for money and I know draper as a quality brand, the fact that its corded with a brushed motor doesn't bother me because I'll only be using it for wheel lug nuts mainly and if I'm having trouble removing a nut or bolt with a breaker bar.

Reviews are good overall and it's supposed to be quite powerful and deals with the likes of crankshaft bolts with ease.

Thanks all for the help, especially the person that recommend this one

Lol

It looks decent480Nm but don't expect it to remove nuts that a breaker bar won't

It will likely be the other way round

The big dewalts have around 1500Nm for removing tractor nuts and the like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you happened to have any dewalt batteries, you'd get a dewalt impact gun body for less than 200 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The draper one is a rebranded generic one I have it in red. Tbh. It's grand for dicking around with preloosened nuts but if your looking for it to shift stuck stuff. Not a hope and not a hope at this price point. Also it's an unwieldy prick and in no way a nice tool to use. I secretly hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

I bought the smaller battery draper impact wrench. It wouldn't open any lug nuts. I ended up returning it ( top part ) and investing in the big dewalt. Near 450e if I remember correctly. 2 batteries charger and decent case. Mighty machine altogether. Never been beaten. I think if you can hold off a wee while till you can afford a decent one it makes sense in the long run. The poster who mentioned the extension issue is 100% correct. Even using a small 3' extension for alloy wheels etc it practically halves the torque of the gun.

To be honest I'd hold off,see if you can up your budget and buy a proper one. I have a Dewalt DCF899HN, it hasn't met a bolt yet it wasn't able to remove. I got it from toolden and only cost 350, they are around 450 now. I also have a milwaukee gun which was 550 I think

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk7r

I agree up the budget and get yourself something decent, you will be spending 200 euro on disappointment otherwise

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Got the Milwaukee myself. M18 Fuel. Almost too powerful. Buy the kit and get the unti, two batteries (5ah), charger and case for 550. Works harder than the air gun I have and cannot use it on setting 4 for tighening with almost 1,900nm of torque. Setting three tightens as much as is needed and for stubborn stuff to open setting 4 will make short work of it.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Another vote for the De-walt DCF889. Got it from screwfix with 2 5AH batteries for €220 three years ago. It was a mis-price but they honored it. Nothing has beaten it yet, it's a total beast. Had the honda crank bolt off in seconds that a 1.5m breaker bar couldn't shift.

It's an excellent bit of kit, only thing I don't like is the led light staying on after you release the trigger. I think it gets overlooked for Milwaukee or Snap On. Snap On dealer wanted 750 plus vat for one, couldn't justify that

Borrow the black tape magic from "check engine light magician" and your problem is solved - no more light after trigger release or before triggering or at all.

• Advertisement

Going to bite the bullet and get the Dewalt DCF899N-XJ, I'll only be using it occasionally so it will last me a lifetime and I've heard nothing but good reviews, I'll get the detent pin socket retention version because the hog ring isn't available on screwfix, €395 for the impact wrench,4.0ah battery and the cover all dewalt XR charger. Fair good deal, looking forward to rarely using my assortment of hand tools

Advertisement