Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you be taking a booster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭foxsake

it would be a hard sell - many in the age group took the vaccine for niteclubs and a social life. The government may ignore that and claim they weren't linked. But we all know that group were lied to . the niteclubs opened for 3 weeks.

fool them twice and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Hi Kelt

How are you feeling today did the sickness last long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Until this morning really if I’m being honest.

Sick stomach and headache, funny but never had this reaction to any of the other vaccines

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And I’m one of them. Simply no interest getting it. Got the first two in august as I assumed they actually worked to some degree. Felt like shite for a few days. Again no interest in feeling that way again in the middle of winter. For me it’s the side effects putting me off. Horrible fever like symptoms aren’t good for your body.

ive no doubt many feel like me and I’m expecting a big scary govt onslaught - it’s already begun with a “to prevent serious illness” get your booster now text from the regime the other day. Disgraceful how they can use your number like this but I’m sure that was in the small print last somber when I got “vaccinated” twice the first time.

Post edited by road_high on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s exactly how I feel. The side effects are being brushed off as “nothing to worry about it”. Sorry, for me that just isn’t enough. Fever and other symptoms for a day or two cannot be good for you no matter how much it’s minimised. Also double jabbed since August and no “anti vaccer” whatsoever here. Have had all my shots since childhood, got vaccinated for travel etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Speaking of effects:

Mild: "To a health care professional, 'mild' means you're not getting hospitalized," said Megan Ranney, academic dean at the Brown University School of Public Health."

https://www.axios.com/what-mild-really-means-when-it-comes-to-omicron-f808e5ba-5655-4ac5-b057-4afe3b0aa860.html

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hopgirl

Me too I have no interest whatsoever and they can keep texting me. Soon enough I am going to be segregated from society and seen as an anti-vaxer. I still having the side effects from the first two with my arm, so don't want to make it worse than it already is. Pfizer saying they have a vaccine ready by March for Omicron variant so never ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It never occurs to you that one of the reasons for the low hospitalisations is, you know, the vaccine? I dont know what you think you were led to believe but they have been very effective at that.

And where did you get the figure of 0.5 percent serious adverse reactions requiring hospitalisation?

Of course you are allowed to ask questions but not make **** up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

What have I made up?

If the vaccine program worked like we were told it would, why weren't Nphet disbanded back in October like we were told they would?

I said "if" 0.5%...."if".... I do think the vaccine does offer protection from serious illness but what if it is making more people ill?

I also think a good diet and vitamin C/D and Zinc might help too but that probably makes me some sort of denier or some such!!!

I don't know what the actual figure is....that is why I am asking!!! I do think it is very pertinent if we are being told we all need to take a 3rd....and probably 4th etc etc.

I can't spell it out for you any clearer, sorry.

• Advertisement

Right. So you frame your question as there were "only 20000" hospitalisations, and you use this as your baseline for comparison. You never even tried to consider how many hospitalisations (and deaths) were prevented by vaccines? No? Were you just being disingenuous or couldn't even conceive of this possibility?

And then you invent a figure out of nowehere of 0.5% for hospitalisation from vaccine adverse events, a figure you have made up from nowhere and used as your baseline for comparison. So that's what you have made up.

In "just asking a question", you are attempting to spread disinformation in the phrasing and premise of the question.

This actual serious adverse events are multiples lower than your 0.5% figure, and are dwarfed by those of covid infection.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/adverse-events.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 _Artemis_

I had my booster before Christmas, and I wasn't feeling great for the best part of a week after it. The previous shots I wasn't too poorly, just a sore arm and a little tired. The booster wiped me out, zero energy and ached all over.

I'm fine now though, and happy I have topped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Same here. I’m digging in on this one, there is nothing they can do that would make me take another even if Delta was still dominant. With Omicron it’s a joke to expect anyone to take a booster, it’s over.

Well, there has been a hell of a lot of confusion about hospitalizations....

So my question is very simple....

How many people have had to seek medical attention as a result of taking the vaccine in Ireland given we have vaccinated the vast majority of the population and given a 3rd shot to about half....if nobody has that answer fair enough, if the answer is zero even better...

I would have thought a figure of 0.5 percent of people who are given a vaccination who have serious adverse reaction to the vaccine would be quiet low....given the amount of people of have had a mild adverse reaction....

Covid has infected over a million people here, probably a good bit higher....it has put in hospital about 20,000 in nearly 2 years, now, I won't put you into a right state by asking what would we typically see in terms of hospitalizations on a year on year basis by viral infections...but if we are being asked/forced to take a third shot then surely a simple question can be asked right?

If you don't mind me saying....you seem threatened that I asked the question....

Threatened? No I can tell obvious anti vaxxer tactics when I see them. Spare me the feigned offence when someone calls out your "just asking a question which includes disinformation I have sown into the question" BS.

0.5% would mean we would have 20000 hospitalisations from vaccines alone. You provide no source for this claim, it's just disinformation you are spreading about vaccines from a lie you have made up. I've provided figures showing the serious adverse reactions requiring hospitalisations are a miniscule amount compared to your fabricated figure.

If you don't like people calling out your anti vax lies stop making **** up.

I'm vaccinated.

I'm simply asking a simple question....I used a 0.5% figure for the purposes of discussion....clearly....

You really need to calm down a bit!!! It's just a question, you are accusing me of all sorts for asking a question.....bizarre!!!

Right ... and you never did the maths on how many hospitalisations your 0.5 percent figure would entail before you asked the question?

Really?

Its not just a question.

Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements. It shifts the burden of proof to one's opponent; 

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Just_asking_questions

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I

You are the one throwing wild accusations.....you....not me.

You have accused me of not being vaccinated, being anti vax, of making up numbers when all I did was offer an example of what a 0.5% rate would look like in terms of hospitalizations....

"And IF 0.5% of people who are vaccinated have a serious adverse reaction requiring medical attention would give us a figure of 25,000 approx ....in one year...."....I did the maths on what it would look like...you did read my post right?

All you have to say is that you have no idea what the number of vaccine related hospitalizations are....instead of baiting me with wild accusations....your reaction to a simple question is extremely odd!!!!

The figure could well be zero for all I know....but surely it is a question worth asking!!

So you just plucked a figure out of thin air

You couldn't research it yourself? Really?

Come off it. Your question claim BS is fooling no one.

You frame the question as 20000 hospitalisations, without any attempt to account for reductions on hospitalizations from vaccines VERSUS a figure you have conveniently invented (utterly without merit or foundation) for serious adverse events which exceeds this figure.

Strange isnt it how all these 'innocent' mistakes favour an anti vax narrative?

I provided CDC links on serious adverse events which are a fraction of your claim, and for obvious reasons, you seem completely disinterested in reviewing it.

Please provide a source for your claim that there were 25000 hospitalizations from vaccine adverse events or withdraw it, wholeheartedly and without reservation. Or take this **** to the conspiracy theory forum where this garbage belongs.

• Advertisement

That link doesn't indicate how many people have required medical attention as a result of taking the vaccine!!

I ask the question here, because I can't find any source that does.....

Thank you for the link, I do appreciate the effort!

I'd appreciate it if you could stop baiting me. Stop throwing wild accusations at me, please read my posts, I have made no claims whatsoever...I used a figure of 0.5 for the purposes of discussion...the link provided to me above indicates that there are rare examples of adverse reactions...so the most natural and logical question to ask is what does that mean in terms of numbers?

I am only asking a question.

We've been administering around 25,000 vaccine doses a day all year. If there was a 0.5% vaccine hospitalisation rate we would currently have around twice the rate of hospitalisations from vaccines as we do from COVID.

Your mooted numbers are nonsense.

Now are a getting somewhere., that is why I ask the question...So what is the number?

My number was a simple an example of what it would look like....I don't know why you can call it nonsense unless you know what the number is?

Why is it my responsibility to find numbers for you?

You brought it up, go and find out the answer.

I brought it up because I can't find the answer!!!

You responded to my post...I didn't ask you to....it's nobodies responsibility to do anything for me....this is a discussion board last time I looked....if you don't like what is being discussed don't get involved!!!

You made up a figure deliberately construed to make vaccines look bad.

All your supposed mistakes are biased in one direction.

Failure to consider the reduction in deaths and hospitalizations from vaccines. A quick google for figures shows that in the UK the estimates up to summer 2021 were 52000 hospital admissions and 37000 deaths directly prevented.

Whereas you invent 25000 hospitalizations from vaccines completeley without foundation then hides behind just asking a question trick - obviously chosen solely because it is greater than the number of covid hospitalizations.

Nobody is that 'innocent' this far into the pandemic.

No one is falling for your just asking a question shtick.

You accuse me of making up figures and yet you throw about estimates.....your a sharp one!!!

Lets leave it at that....you haven't a clue how many people in Ireland have required medical assistance after taking the vaccine over the last 12 months.....

I'd be happy if someone could produce a figure (given the amount of Covid related figures thrown at us daily since March 2020) that could shed some light on a simple question....I gladly accept that my example of 0.5% is way off....

You've been given the CDC figures for serious vaccination events and UK figures for reductions in hospitalizations and deaths. You can easily map these for Ireland. You repeatedly show zero interest in the CDC information even though you claim to be curious about these figures and couldnt do any of this googling yourself? Yet you accuse others of not having a clue? Your feigned offence at being found out is not believable.

The study below estimates the rate of serious adverse events at a rate of about 50 reports per 1 million doses administered. So for Ireland we could expect not 25000 but less than 500.

So the figures in in your original 'question' has been shown to be fundamentally wrong. You have your answer - the number of hospitalisations and deaths prevented by vaccines exceed the vaccine side effect events. The only question is by how much. If you want to 'question' that come up with some actual figures.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/covid-19-vaccine-safety-side-effects-risks-reactions/

• Advertisement

So, again, you haven't a clue what the numbers are for Ireland....

I don't pay any attention to what is happening in The States, the UK or anywhere for that matter as it has gone so political no one entity can be trusted to provide clear data....as for estimates on how many lives have been saved, that is just a joke...just like the hysterical modelling we have witnessed here and elsewhere since this began.

I ask the question because numbers have played a huge role in our daily lives since 2020, and in their absence here I get a little uncomfortable....for all I know, our local hospital, which has been packed to capacity all year round this year (not from covid) is a result of the vaccine rollout (now, I do say that in the knowledge that there could be half a dozen other reasons why the hospital has been packed all year, UHL, it is the worst run hospital in the country)

If we have being vaccinating 25,000 people per day on average since last year and only 500 people have required medical assistance in that year then that is a result....and I don't say that lightly, that is an impressive safety rate....you'd imagine Nphet would be shouting that from the rooftops!!!!

But forgive me if I will take a little more convincing than that...

Advertisement