Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Talking, breathing, exercising you are putting out viral load as you expel droplets.. close contacts at risk.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Looking for advice on what to do in this situation -

A house mate has just test positive and you are set to head down home for the Christmas break - what would you do?

Should you get an Antigen test proceed with your plans as you have no symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It can take a few days to get a positive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

So.... Despite your best efforts , you didnt have 'the covid' .....

Must be terrible....

Maybe you had , the common winter cold /flu ????

🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

😣

Is that another thing vaxxers worry about ??

If youre not ill, well , your not sick .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Thanks. I guess my best option is to stay put here in the house until Christmas eve, take an Antigen test, and then make a call on heading back home. Would that seem like a reasonable approach?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You can still be infectious if you're infected. It's why it's termed asymptomatic spread. This is pretty basic stuff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

My OH was really sick two weeks ago (double vaccinated), all the symptoms, never seen anyone so sick. He was shivering with the cold but at the same time dripping wet from the sweat. He tested negative, neither of us could believe it, he's self employed so never takes time off, but was bed ridden for 3 days. I hope your all feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I personally know 17 people who had positive antigen tests but negative PCR in the past fortnight. I've never heard of this happening much before.

• Advertisement

I don't know. They are all sick too, some more than others. Which to believe? Could the pcr be targeting the changed part of omicron genetic sequence and therefore missing it? That's an unlikely coincidence surely! I know antigen test can be wrong especially with poor amateur technique. But when this happened in England a few months ago (on a bigger scale than my anecdotal sample obviously) they ended up closing a private lab that hadn't followed proper procedure.

Usually bad technique with antigen means a false negative not a false positive - didnt swab enough of the viral load.

False positives are possible if you're eaten or drunk anything with citrus 30 minutes before hand... chewing gum also a risk. The instructions on the pack detail them but doesn't explain why there would be more now.

Yes, saying that, none of my housemates caught it off me.

Fingers crossed.

Where is the new close contact advice? A person close to me has tested positive and told me. However they cannot fill in close contact details because they work in education so I probably won't be informed by HSE. There is no up to date information on the HSE website. Are the new rules not in place yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eggy81

Got a positive result from a Hse test taken Monday morning here. Flu like symptoms Sunday afternoon and high temperature Sunday night. No sleep at all so booked test for Monday morning. Negative antigen Sunday night. Negative antigen last night but positive pcr at 3pm. Had a feeling I was positive. Double vaxxed. No booster yet.

More on the strange results of positive antigen v negative pcr:

"Barely half of the positive results from antigen tests carried out on close contacts of Covid-19 cases have been confirmed by further PCR testing."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/barely-half-of-positive-antigen-test-results-confirmed-by-further-pcr-testing-1.4761184

^ Interesting!

Double vaxxed here. Positive antigen a few days ago. Symptoms: complete loss of appetite, no sense of smell, achy joints and muscles, the chills, light sensitive, very tired. No temp.

PCR results from yesterday's test: negative. Thing is, I still have symptoms, albeit some have weakened today compared to yesterday (the aches, lymph nodes less swollen).

Baffling really. It's like a mild flu, but with no runny nose or sneezing. It is something I have never had, whatever the feck it is. Friend had almost identical symptoms and also got a negative test result. Maybe we're all going mad :D

Will give it 48 hours after symptoms end, but not sure whether I should meet my parents at Xmas... they are not young whippersnappers by any means. Also wondering should I get a booster in the next few days to be extra safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think it's better for a false positive antigen than a false negative. Best to take a PCR if you have symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

What a mess. I have family home from abroad but all now close contacts of covid. A wasted holiday, no christmas day with anyone. Disaster.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do tomorrow. Finally HSE has updated the close contact guide at least but it is unclear. And my employer requires a HSE text to state I'm a close contact to take covid leave. But I won't get one as the person is a teacher so the HSE site doesn't allow you to input close contacts - in fact it forces you to tick "I have no close contacts" once you have ticked "I work in a school". And previous experience says the contact tracers who are supposed to call the positive person won't bother once it's school related. They are putting us all at risk because of their moronic management of the situation in schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

My 8 year old daughter started showing symptoms a week ago and then tested positive 5 days ago. She was quite sick for 2 days and then mildly sick for a few days and is now fully recovered. Today I got my 3rd negative antigen test. Is it too soon for me to assume I dodged the bullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Yes. People I know registered 3 negative antigens and a negative PCR before registering a positive antigen. Sadly I don't know what the timeframe is for safe now. I would have said negative PCR crack on but not a clue now.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭holliehobbie

You could just have the crappy normal head cold virus that is also around then. Or did you get a positive PCR result?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

Five year old was awake all night first with aches and pains then chills and then really sudden fever came on over 40 and medicines not really bringing it fully down. Test can’t be got today and very few left for tomorrow. Both of them are staying home today anyway. Won’t get result of pcr until late Christmas Eve which is inconvenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I woke on Monday with a bit of a head cold and sniffly so I did an antigen test and it was positive. I've been isolating from family since and I got PCR tested yesterday.

Felt almost normal last night and I feel fully recovered today.

Awaiting PCR result this morning........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nearly every close person I know and the neighbours have all had it at this point (positive PCR tests).

I think its been raging through the schools for some time now.

Nobody I know, apart from one person, said they got it bad though, which is good news.

But I keep hearing from people too that assume they have had it. Everyone with a cold or any kind of dose since mid 2019 thinks they had covid. You only had it if you have a positive PCR test as far as im concerned.

The proof for me is that a lot of those people i know who ended up eventually with a positive PCR test also had doses in months previous where they thought they had covid but the PCR test was nagative. Of course they didnt trust the test was right when it was negative, but then trusted it a few months later when positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Day 8 now and waking up this morning feeling pretty much normal. I woke up yesterday with sinuses a little congested and chest a little bit tight but got out for a decent walk and felt good last night. Very relieved at how mild this has all been, I have a few conditions (a bit extra weight on me, childhood asthma etc) so was anxious about how I'd fare but overall it's been more comparable to a cold than anything else. No high temperature at any stage. Very thankful for the vaccine.

• Advertisement

In my own case this is the 3rd time in the last 6 or 7 months I’ve spent a few days in bed with the exact symptoms I have now but the first time I’ve tested positive. Particularly a dose I had about a month ago felt identical. Wonder has it been trying to get in on me as my vax wore off or is that sort of thing even possible.

Advertisement