Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who has covid? Nov 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I don't know. They are all sick too, some more than others. Which to believe? Could the pcr be targeting the changed part of omicron genetic sequence and therefore missing it? That's an unlikely coincidence surely! I know antigen test can be wrong especially with poor amateur technique. But when this happened in England a few months ago (on a bigger scale than my anecdotal sample obviously) they ended up closing a private lab that hadn't followed proper procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Usually bad technique with antigen means a false negative not a false positive - didnt swab enough of the viral load.

False positives are possible if you're eaten or drunk anything with citrus 30 minutes before hand... chewing gum also a risk. The instructions on the pack detail them but doesn't explain why there would be more now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Yes, saying that, none of my housemates caught it off me.

Fingers crossed.

Where is the new close contact advice? A person close to me has tested positive and told me. However they cannot fill in close contact details because they work in education so I probably won't be informed by HSE. There is no up to date information on the HSE website. Are the new rules not in place yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Got a positive result from a Hse test taken Monday morning here. Flu like symptoms Sunday afternoon and high temperature Sunday night. No sleep at all so booked test for Monday morning. Negative antigen Sunday night. Negative antigen last night but positive pcr at 3pm. Had a feeling I was positive. Double vaxxed. No booster yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

More on the strange results of positive antigen v negative pcr:

"Barely half of the positive results from antigen tests carried out on close contacts of Covid-19 cases have been confirmed by further PCR testing."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/barely-half-of-positive-antigen-test-results-confirmed-by-further-pcr-testing-1.4761184

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

^ Interesting!

Double vaxxed here. Positive antigen a few days ago. Symptoms: complete loss of appetite, no sense of smell, achy joints and muscles, the chills, light sensitive, very tired. No temp.

PCR results from yesterday's test: negative. Thing is, I still have symptoms, albeit some have weakened today compared to yesterday (the aches, lymph nodes less swollen).

Baffling really. It's like a mild flu, but with no runny nose or sneezing. It is something I have never had, whatever the feck it is. Friend had almost identical symptoms and also got a negative test result. Maybe we're all going mad :D

Will give it 48 hours after symptoms end, but not sure whether I should meet my parents at Xmas... they are not young whippersnappers by any means. Also wondering should I get a booster in the next few days to be extra safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think it's better for a false positive antigen than a false negative. Best to take a PCR if you have symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

What a mess. I have family home from abroad but all now close contacts of covid. A wasted holiday, no christmas day with anyone. Disaster.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do tomorrow. Finally HSE has updated the close contact guide at least but it is unclear. And my employer requires a HSE text to state I'm a close contact to take covid leave. But I won't get one as the person is a teacher so the HSE site doesn't allow you to input close contacts - in fact it forces you to tick "I have no close contacts" once you have ticked "I work in a school". And previous experience says the contact tracers who are supposed to call the positive person won't bother once it's school related. They are putting us all at risk because of their moronic management of the situation in schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

My 8 year old daughter started showing symptoms a week ago and then tested positive 5 days ago. She was quite sick for 2 days and then mildly sick for a few days and is now fully recovered. Today I got my 3rd negative antigen test. Is it too soon for me to assume I dodged the bullet?

Yes. People I know registered 3 negative antigens and a negative PCR before registering a positive antigen. Sadly I don't know what the timeframe is for safe now. I would have said negative PCR crack on but not a clue now.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

You could just have the crappy normal head cold virus that is also around then. Or did you get a positive PCR result?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Five year old was awake all night first with aches and pains then chills and then really sudden fever came on over 40 and medicines not really bringing it fully down. Test can’t be got today and very few left for tomorrow. Both of them are staying home today anyway. Won’t get result of pcr until late Christmas Eve which is inconvenient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

I woke on Monday with a bit of a head cold and sniffly so I did an antigen test and it was positive. I've been isolating from family since and I got PCR tested yesterday.

Felt almost normal last night and I feel fully recovered today.

Awaiting PCR result this morning........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nearly every close person I know and the neighbours have all had it at this point (positive PCR tests).

I think its been raging through the schools for some time now.

Nobody I know, apart from one person, said they got it bad though, which is good news.

But I keep hearing from people too that assume they have had it. Everyone with a cold or any kind of dose since mid 2019 thinks they had covid. You only had it if you have a positive PCR test as far as im concerned.

The proof for me is that a lot of those people i know who ended up eventually with a positive PCR test also had doses in months previous where they thought they had covid but the PCR test was nagative. Of course they didnt trust the test was right when it was negative, but then trusted it a few months later when positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Day 8 now and waking up this morning feeling pretty much normal. I woke up yesterday with sinuses a little congested and chest a little bit tight but got out for a decent walk and felt good last night. Very relieved at how mild this has all been, I have a few conditions (a bit extra weight on me, childhood asthma etc) so was anxious about how I'd fare but overall it's been more comparable to a cold than anything else. No high temperature at any stage. Very thankful for the vaccine.

• Advertisement

In my own case this is the 3rd time in the last 6 or 7 months I’ve spent a few days in bed with the exact symptoms I have now but the first time I’ve tested positive. Particularly a dose I had about a month ago felt identical. Wonder has it been trying to get in on me as my vax wore off or is that sort of thing even possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Positive result for me this morning. Christmas fooked.

I feel great though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I always presumed that's the logic of Close contacts and isolating.

Was wondering what the current guidance on that actually is.

It’s not to isolate everyone in the house after someone with symptoms has two not detected pcr results anyway!

Btw I'm going by what you said in previous comments which was

"doctor advised us to isolate until symptoms had subsided

You then said:

"His two pcrs were negative ! Can’t keep them at home just in case it’s covid"

Hence the question You either all isolated or didn't. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

I had covid so my kids just few days recovered...everytime i see this behavior i wonder if people are just looking at mirror or what.... Be happy they are not seriously ill...your wasted holiday against someone being sick or taken early....

Please forgive me for being offensive..but this is just very very silly

Ha ha you need to chill out. It's frustrating that's all. And as a matter of fact, one of them is badly sick now. Of course id rather their not sick. I just feel sorry for them. That's all. Christ.

I phoned the HSE regarding being a close contact but the person not being able list their contacts so no text. They told me to ignore it and carry on unless I get a text, which I won't because they don't contact trace teachers the majority of the time. So I've had to go to work. Obviously I don't actually want to isolate but honestly how are they getting away with such shameless shambolic carry on.

It was a typo. Doctor told him to isolate until symptoms had passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

They have protocol to follow....

1000's calling daily that they have been close contact etc... Protocol is that hse will have to contact you...you cant deem yourself close contact...etc...as many are trying to get off work to claim benefits... I am not advocating for anyone here...but stating the rules. Sorry for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Jafin

I wasn't feeling great yesterday so took two antigen tests, both negative. I took one in the afternoon but it was my first time ever doing it so wasn't sure if I had done it properly or not so decided to do another one in the evening. Found out this morning then that one of my friends I had seen for a few hours Saturday night had a positive antigen test, so I took another one and lo and behold it was positive. I hadn't gone out to a pub for drinks in two years and of course the one time I do go, and do everything correctly in regards to masks and everything, I end up catching it. Glad I found out before I went home for a few days for Christmas. I'd feel awful if I accidentally passed it on to family members who then passed it on to more people.

Don't feel too bad, physically. It more or less just feels like a mild cold for me thankfully. Have a PCR test booked for tomorrow afternoon just to get the official word on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

No. The correct protocol is that the positive person lists their close contacts on the online form and these people receive a text. The point is that this protocol is thrown out the window for teachers. They are forced to tick "I have no close contacts" on the form and then there is no follow up. So their close contacts are not identified. So the rules are ignored for those of us in contact with teachers. Do you think think this is proper protocol?? This is nothing but nonsense to back up their lies about "schools are safe".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Was told I was a close contact, so picked up an antigen test.

Both positive but I feel grand, maybe a slight be runny nose but that’s all.

if it’s positive then my trip home for Christmas is ruined, and my flights back will have to be rescheduled. What a total ballache.

have a full PCR booked so hopefully that is more on my side.

shouod also add here that my temp was 36 this morning, so I’ve not had a fever or anything close to it.

keep refreshing the page, more become available but u have to be quick

i am trying to get a second pcr for my son as he tested negative on sunday whereas the two of us (parents) tested positive.

question re isolation

if you get symptoms and test positive a few days before someone else in your household, are u still free to stop isolating after your 10 days (per the HSE) or do you need to wait because your housemate is still in isolation for a few more days?

i presume once the virus passes through your system you are no longer infectious and it is not possible to pass it on even if you are still exposed to it for a few more days due to the other person in your house becoming infectious a few days after u?

I actually ended up Phoning the GP and she saw him in full PPE ( he’d had a negative antigen test). He’s probably sicker than covid would make him. He’s been wiped out all day - temperature north of 40. He’s on antibiotics now. Anyway she referred him and he got a test today.

I’ll cancel his test for tomorrow morning as soon as he’s got through the queue. Test centre is mental apparently.

Christ it is rampant. A lot of people I know testing positive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

My son brought it home last week, more than likely got it on bus, travelling to/from college. He is autistic himself, and needed some treatment to bring down a raging fever and to hydrate on a drip in hospital for a few hours. He was bad enough. Now, my husband and I have developed it, dry cough, feeling groggy, mild fever (thankfully), tummy pains and headache. It's rotten. My husband is a cancer survivor, and as a teacher, this is my second time with this virus, as I had it last Christmas too. Came on us via scratchy throat, watering eyes, sneezing, exactly as per the omicron description of early symptoms. Christmas is cancelled here, no way my 83 year old mum can visit us for Christmas. We will have Christmas Day on New Year's Day instead, as our isolation period will be up by then. Turkey is on ice for the moment!

Stay safe, stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Myself and the missus both have symptoms so not looking good. I know there's a bad cold going around at the moment as well. For me, it's just a scratchy throat, cough and a little bit fatigued. She has that plus aches and a mild temperature. We both did 2 antigens on Monday and tested negative. She did another one Tuesday and tested positive. We're both waiting for PCR results now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

That's how it started for us too. Lots of toast, water and paracetamol here.

Just day by day, and ride out that covid storm.

This too, shall pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

I got a positive PCR result yesterday morning after three negative and 1 positive antigen. Thankfully it's no more than a head cold with that 'shook' feeling you get with a bad dose. The problem is it has effectively ruined Christmas for our family with me having to isolate and my wife dealing with rescuing Christmas for our three kids.

And then I'm wondering if it makes sense to isolate and ruin Christmas for what is effectively a head cold? We're not going anywhere outside the house anyway, they've all been exposed to me before the negative antigen test - and the thing is so contagious that they are all bound to pick it up at some stage soon. Am I wrong in thinking that some things are more important than containing a mild virus? This is probably the last Christmas we will have with our youngest as a 'believer'.....is it worth missing out on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

3 x light positive antigens yesterday, darker positive this morning. Had my pcr at 11 today , just waiting on results. 13 family members now not coming to my house for Christmas. **** disaster of a year

Negative and he’s a lot better whatever it was. Phew.

Does how quick the T line on the antigen test appear and how bold it appears relate in any way to how infectious someone might be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I understand that much. The first couple of antigen tests I did after my positive pcr test came back negative. Then in the second evening after pcr I had a positive antigen which as you say took a good 5 or 6 minutes to show the second line indicating positive. Fast forward a couple of days and the results are coming up in seconds and much bolder/clearer. Just coincidence with test or indication of how infectious I currently am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I know cases who were positive and the T line appeared in seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Picked it up on would have been the weekend before last. Bit of a dose tbh; chills, headache, sinus issues and oddly enough cramps. Only starting to feel halfway normal now. Isolation period is to end on Stephen's day so not sure whether to chance the trip home for Christmas or not. Antigen test was still giving me a sort-of positive result earlier so thinking of erring on the side of caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I picked it up the same weekend and isolation ended yesterday how come the long isolation for you?

I did an antigen today and was negative after a strong indicator in seconds during the height of it, so happy enough with that.

Advertisement