Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kyle Rittenhouse found not guilty

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Funny how you so adamantly claim the evidence backs your view, while ignoring plenty of other evidence that doesnt align with your desired outcome.

Rosenbaum, the guy released from a mental institution was recorded on the night repeatedly asserting he was going to kill Rittenhouse. Drone footage shows Rittenhouse fleeing and the others chasing after him, some of whom were armed. If he was so intent on killing why didnt he stand his ground rather than flee? It was only once he was accosted on the ground that he shot back.

"He chose to go there armed" so did loads of people - so did Gaige Grosskreutz who chose to go there armed and also chose to chase after Rittenhouse and pull a gun on him - if you think he is the victim in this situation you are genuinely delusional. How you can think a guy charging offensively with a handgun is the real victim simply because he happened to get shot first, rather than the person being charged - I have no idea.

I ask you this - if Rittenhouse was shot and murdered by Grosskreutz, would you still say Rittenhouse was in the wrong? Because so far the only consistency to your logic seems to be that if someone gets shot they are defacto a victim. Not a very logical stance really as criminals get shots in retribution for their actions all the time, but failing that I cannot see how you could come to the decision you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Aren't you a real cynical type, unless there is a greasy coin in it, you'll never help others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Some people want to stand for something and do what they think is right. You see it all the time with student protests, climate demonstrations etc and people travel often long distances to take part. That this guy travelled to take part in something he believed in is not that unusual. That he had a gun with him is also not unusual (in an American context*). The only question is whether he felt his life was in danger. If he did then they are legal shootings under self defence laws. I cannot see him doing time on this one and am surprised it even went to trial**.

*you are talking about a country where people 'audit' the police by walking around busy districts armed to the teeth to see what reaction they get. All quite legally bizarrely enough. Merica

**I would suspect he is on trial for political reasons which doesn't seem to be unusual in the good aul USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not about money. You don't go sticking your f**king nose in to places where it doesn't belong.

Say the court indulged this post, the moment guns were pointed at him, nevermind the shot being fired he had complete justification to shoot back.

Anything prior to that then became irrelevant.

What we can all agree on is that the 2 who died were awful people and the world is a better place for it.

You can think Rittenhouse still needs jail.

• Advertisement

Cynical and uncaring without pay?

Is that not worse again, you don't believe in solidarity and you won't even help yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

He put himself there ,

The same person who challenged him went up to a number of armed people and guess what he wasn't shot by any of them,

He chose to shoot he's a little coward nothing more , look how cool and calm he was walking away though the police line ,no injuries no torn clothing , just him casually walking away after shooting 3 people ,he was more than prepared to kill for nothing more than kicks

'can fulfill his ambition of becoming a member of the police force and continue to defend society against criminals.'

I sincerely hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Oh spare me your fake ass morals. Anyone can say anything on the Internet.

I recon if there was a riot on, you'd be barricading your door while crapping your pants. But hey... this is the Internet. You can come off as John rambo to other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

To me its all crazy. But this is the US and laws are different. What is considered normal is different.

Its not an assault weapon. Its rate of fire is no different to an automatic pistol. It is a military styled weapon but its not illegal. Carrying it is not illegal and open carry is seen as less dangerous than concealed carry and smaller weapons. This is why the cops seems unconcerned with people carrying such weapons. Again seems crazy to us, but thats how it is.

It wasn't a peaceful protest, it was a riot. You'd have to question why people want to attend a riot. What sparked this shooting was this guy putting out fires or being mistaken for someone putting out fires. He's on video saying what his intent was.

For me he was playing a role. But trying to defend property is also not illegal. Even it we think its nuts. But his actions on camera, are not of someone intent to shoot someone or cause trouble. Even if you think its all for show and he was there to use the gun. The obligation is too prove intent with an absence of all doubt. That is going to be hard to do, from the camera evidence, which shows restraint while being physically attacked and physical evidence of power burns on some of those involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Everything from the trial is available. Why make up lies? He shot a convicted paedophile that had attacked him and had lunged to try and take his gun from him (evidence given by freelance reporter who was a few yards away). Second man killed had already hit him over the head with a skateboard and was coming back for shot two. Third guy LITERALLY stated in the witness box that Rittenhouse only opened fire after he had pointed his loaded gun at him. There was no claim that it jammed.

Open carry at protests wasn't illegal at the time of this shooting.

It has been only made illegal by some states after the Capital Riots.

Seems crazy and obvious to us. But the rules in the States are very different. We see gun and we see intent. But thats not how it works in the US.

The law is not that different.

Intent, direct or indirect is still the same be you in USA or Ireland.

Trying to defend ones own property is fine, going miles to 'protect property' owned by random strangers when it is not your job, your business, or your duty is not ok, it is out looking for trouble.

Very few members of any police force will endorse vigilantes taking the law into their own hands. He wouldn't be my.idea of a good police man

Yet the attackers made a fatal mistake with him. The difference in pointing guns, chasing, firing a shot.

So what if they had gone up to a thousand armed people previously.

Maybe their personal life experiences misinformed them, being more used to beating wives and abusing children.

Working class solidarity hits back hard after the first punch was thrown.

I suspect we'll see some tightening up of the laws after this, for minors, so this craziness and loop holes won't be repeated.

Rosenbaum did not try to grab the weapons of anyone else - he did in the case of Rittenhouse which can be perceived as a threat to his (Rittenhouse's) life.

The evidence is fairly cut and dried, Rittenhouse acted quite clearly in self-defence. After it happened he calmly walked to local police and handed himself in - you have no evidence that "he was more than prepared to kill for nothing more than kicks". That is just baseless speculation from a poster who is clearly over emotional about this case. The law is not emotional, it is the law. Thank god you arent a judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's the entire basis for self defense though. If he wasn't attacked by them he wouldn't have shot them. It's really the crux of the issue. Why he was there has no bearing on him being allowed to defend himself.

The prosecutor hasn't been able to show one iota of intent from him to purposely harm anyone. So I don't know how you can say his intent was clear.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

That spanner wasn’t mentally equipped to be anywhere near that scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Seriously, people on here claiming that the serial child rapist who threatened to kill him if he got him alone, chased him across a parking lot and grabbed at his gun is being framed as a poor unfortunate "just released from a mental institute".

Maybe I would be.

Thank God for working class solidarity and people like Kyle.

The 2 deviants were playing as well, rich kid activists rioting for the fun, all went wrong for them when they started using their guns.

The working class kid then used his.

If Rittenhouse wasn't a working class kid would there be this obsession about him? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

This whole episode is a reason to point and laugh at the United states of America or maybe nod your head in solemnity at the whole tragic mess if laughing at tragedy is not your thing.

No one though should be making any hero's for either side out of this stupid kid taking his gun to a riot and shooting three people.

What a **** mess the US of America is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It's mental that if this was reversed and Kyle Rittenhouse was a junkie resisting arrest and killed, and George Floyd was defending property. The same people calling for Rittenhouses head would be defending George and we'd never have heard of Rittenhouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Exactly if you apply this to Ireland it would look insane , lads down the dock lands dealing away and a kid from Laois turns up with an assault rifle to keep the peace 😂😂

A lot of US news pundits recently got caught out when they assumed that since Rittenhouse shot some rioters, that they were African-American!

Shows you how little people read into the story, they just see the headline and extrapolate from that, and let their own biases take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The guy who attacked him with the skateboard learned the hard way that you don't bring a skateboard to a gun fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I find I have little sympathy for the idiot who picked up a gun and went looking for trouble.

His blubbering like a little bitch doesn't change that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Shoehorning a whole lot into your strawman there fandy. 🤣🤣

What if it was George Floyd and he took his gun to 1940's Germany to shoot Hitler in a riot. Whose side would you be on then?

💩💩💩💩🤣

• Advertisement

The world view of the entitled and well to do.

As if insurance ever covered more than a part of the loss.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement