Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Good news for businesses as RTE announce women are now working for free until the end of the year

• 08-11-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭ Pussyhands
    Banned

Women in Ireland are effectively working for free for the last 14.4% of the year - ie from today - according to research from WorkEqual today.

Today is Equal Pay Day - the date on which women in Ireland effectively stop earning, relative to men, because of the gender pay gap which currently stands at 14.4%.

Why are these people allowed to go unchallenged? Differences in pay are a fact, but it has nothing to do with gender. If businesses can pay women less, why are there not more women hired?

I also really dislike the "equal pay for same work" mantra that's often mentioned. It's very simplistic as not everyone performs the same job with the same ability. For example, two men fix doors. It's the same job but one man can be much better at it than the other so of course the better one will get paid more.

And that's all before I even get into the fact that men do more overtime, don't have career breaks due to pregnancy and are more likely to work higher paying jobs such as construction worker or tradesman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭ Big Ears

I thought that was the most (well only) eye opening part of the piece and should have been the real story.

" Most people don't understand what the gender pay gap is" wouldn't have been as catchy a headline though !

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭ Markus Antonius

The fringe group being "Workequal" who came out with the women working for free idea. I think most women realise that this all BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭ elperello

Workequal may be a small organisation but all women have skin in this game and I don't recall them appointing you as their spokesman either.

I appreciate the role campaign groups play in civic society.

A lot of important social change would never have happened without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭ Faugheen

Exactly.

People giving out about this will give out about anything that brings about equality. Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,728 ✭✭✭✭ NIMAN

A slightly humorous video, but makes plenty of very valid points.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7GWHgVZJQU

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx

If RTE thought an ethnic pay gap claim could go out without too much complaint.

I could imagine them saying that this business of the average Nigerian ( in Ireland) earning less than the average American ( in Ireland) can not stand.

Of course an individual Nigerian cardiac surgeon will earn the same HSE wage as his American counterpart with identical experience and qualifications

Nuance sadly lacking and deliberately so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭ Shao Kahn

Ha yeah, when you're right you're right.

I watch so many different comedians, I can never remember where I heard stuff.

Bill Burr is great. Says it way better than I ever could.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Checked with a few lasses, none of them are working for free today nor any day between now and end of year

Maybe im asking all the wrong women

Women earn more than men in the under 30 age bracket. Should there be a campaign to pay men under 30 more?

The focus is wrong though. Women under 30 tend to earn more because children aren't part of the equation, with most people deciding to have children around that period. Whenever we hear about employment inconsistencies, the attitude is to look at parents, and how they should benefit from that status. But the reality is that the numbers of people who are single/childless are growing, and it is them who invariably are picking up the slack.. and typically, there are more males who remain single than women... hence the difference in salaries and benefits over time.

While I understand the logic that says we need people to have more children, I don't think anyone is really considering how single people fit in, and I suspect the singles (male/female) are losing out to those who get married and have children.

• Advertisement

I mean over sexualisation of kids. Cardi B, Kardashians etc.

Advertisement