Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone upgraded to Windows 11 yet?

Options
  • 04-11-2021 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

My gaming PC is presenting me with the option to upgrade to win 11 through Windows updates. I'm just curious have many people on this forum upgraded to 11 and how have they found it?

The only reason why I would consider it is the auto HDR option (I have 2 HDR monitors).

Is it a better idea to hold off for now?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Griffin47

Microsoft stated quite clearly that Windows 10 would be the last ever version of Windows, and would be updated from time to time. They said, in writing, that there would be no Windows 11. Why, then, are they apparently disgruntled that comparatively few people seem to want Windows 11? I'll tell you what I've done. I'm not suggesting anybody else should copy me, but I have nothing sensitive on my computer, so I don't care about security. I've installed the first ever build of Windows 10 from 2015. It's the Pro version, so has the Group Policy Editor. Using the GPE, I've disabled automatic updates completely. I've run a command line script to get rid of the Edge browser, because I use Firefox. I've set a json file to prevent Firefox looking for updates. The result is that I have an operating system which does what I need it to do, has quite a small footprint on my 80 Gb hard drive, and never troubles me with updates. No more dreading the morning of the second Wednesday in the month, when the computer used to be unusable for ages. Did I mention that I also have an adblocker? My point (there is one) is that you can make a computer do what you want, rather than rolling over for Big Tech. and their ambitions. Obviously, if you insist on entrusting your bank and card details to your computer, then security might be an issue. Just remember that, on the internet, nothing is or ever can be secure. People don't want to believe this, because it interferes with their lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would you not be better off installing a more recent version of some Linux distro?

(I assume a lot of newer apps require you to be running something that isnt the initial version of Win10, so I assume you are not running any apps that you need a new version of windows for) so if that is the case, and you are internet connected, would it not make more sense to run a linux distro?

I agree, some applications require a later version of Windows 10, but all the ones I use are fine. Never had much liking for Linux. Xenial Puppy Linux is the only one I ever used, but Windows is my comfort zone. I also have a computer with Windows 10 version 1809, tweaked as I described, and my wife's laptop uses Windows 7 with no problems at all. Of course, with Windows 7, you can simply turn off updates from the normal user settings, which I always did. All my files are backed up elsewhere. Anybody is welcome to hijack my PC. I'll just reinstall the O/S. That said, Windows Defender seems to do a decent job. I run external virus scans occasionally, and they never find anything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No , they didn't say that.

That comment was actually made by Jerry Nixon, a Microsoft developer evangelist who spoke at the company’s ”Tiles, Notifications, and Action Center” presentation about Windows 10 at Microsoft’s Microsoft Ignite conference in 2015. According to the transcript of the session, Nixon’s comment was more of a throwaway line, one that he literally referred to as a segue.

Security updates and new drivers are really the only reason to upgrade from Windows 7 for the average user. Security updates are kinda important though.

• Advertisement

So here's a thing. Until a short while ago, I behaved like a good, normal customer of Microsoft. I ran Windows 10 version 22H2, and installed updates as they came along. There was a new set of definitions for Windows Defender every day. It did, though, strike me as odd that there should be the need to update the resident Windows antivirus every single day. The people who come up with malware must be hard workers, I thought. Then I broke out a computer I hadn't used for a few months, and went online with it. Not unnaturally, I was expecting, in addition to the major updates, a whole plethora of new defintions for Windows Defender. But there weren't any, just the one for that day. It installed in seconds, so I can't think it was cumulative, ie. several months' worth of definitions all in one. So what's going on here? Is the daily Windows Defender update what it claims to be, or just Microsoft having a good rummage inside your computer? I've never read the EULA in full, as I suspect many haven't, but I understand it gives Microsoft an alarming amount of permission in relation to your supposedly private files.

To address your statement that security updates are important, is this true, or have we all been brainwashed into believing it? Why could we do without them in the past, but not now? I see this as mission creep on the part of Microsoft, as in many other areas of modern life. As I said, I keep absolutely nothing sensitive on my computer. It's a useful tool for certain things, like writing, but I'm not about to let it change the way I live.

Advertisement