Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 11

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A small tip, remove any USB drives or smart card readers with drives in them before running the install.

I just tried the install while I had a smart card reader connected with a UEFI bootable partition on it. This led to an INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE error upon the first restart.

Back into Windows 10, remove the reader, and rerun the installer, and all is now well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I want to update to Windows 11, but the whole process is such a pain.

I've no idea if my PC can have TPM enabled, setting up Secure boot just ends in a request for a shell command and damned if I'm upgrading my 4690k CPU to a new one (plus mobo+RAM) for the sake of an OS.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why do you want to update to 11 ? this may work https://www.theregister.com/2021/10/06/bypass_windows_11_requirements/

Beware that until the first major update it's going to be a bit flaky. comment - They also managed to mangle the standard typewriter/font test: it's "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", not "jumped". The latter means that the letter "s" is not included. I know this is a relatively minor thing, but it does show a lack of attention to detail that I find troubling.

You can do a clean install on existing HW but yeah it's painful to setup everything again.

I've had it on my main pc a few weeks now, now major issues or many minor ones really and on an unsupported cpu Ryzen 1600x.

I looks nice but it's amazing the legacy stuff that is still there at this stage, like uninstalling certain things or settings that need to be changed form the control panel you find you can't do from the settings app they want you to use. No task manager from the task bar with right click and no way to shrink it or move it.

A widgets app that no one will likely use you can't unpin directly from the task bar. The phone app I tried for a few days but is also useless as you can't interact with most of the notifications.

I upgrade to the beta which was actually the same as final release code from win10 through the insider program. I'm wondering now if I wanted to clean install which I'd probably like to do soon if it will nag me about the CPU or prevent me installing it? PC meets TPM and Secureboot requirements otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mark2912

Does anybody know roughly when I can upgrade to Windows 11?

I have a HP laptop, 256GB SSD, i5 10th Gen and TPM 2.0. Laptop was released last year, so still fairly new.

According to settings, the laptop is eligible for Windows 11, but says there are no updates available....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Did you click on the button called View optional updates in Windows Update?

The Windows 11 update should be hidden in there as an optional update so you can download & install it on your computer.

If you don't install Windows 11 on it; Updates for the new version of Windows 10 via Windows Update will follow thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Am I correct in saying that the hard TPM requirement is gone?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You can either wait for it to be pushed, or run the installation yourself now.

You can either create an ISO, or use the installation assistant:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Played around with Windows 11 on a secondary machine to see what it was like for a few hours.

Once again Microsoft are guilty of some of the same mistakes that they made with Windows 8, designing an interface that clearly has computer users as a complete afterthought. The interface is slightly better than that used for Windows 8 for computer users. They're guilty of trying to copy ChromeOS in some respects.

However any small gains made in the interface over Windows 8 are completely lost by the dumbing down of the operating system which has had many features removed, many customisation features removed, right click menus obliterated and an absolutely shocking taskbar tbat lacks basic features that even the awful Windows 8 managed to include.

At the moment, Windows 10 remains the premier computer version of Windows by far and even as a secondary device, I've had to roll it back to W10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

TPM issues with my Asus Prime X299-A motherboard, updated the bios, problem resolved, didn't update yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,553 ✭✭✭✭briany

I feel about as excited about the prospect of upgrading to Windows 11 as I do about a .NET update, which is to say, 'not very'. What's the most exciting new feature this OS has got? Android app integration?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There's a lot of security settings turned on by default. Except most of them are already in earlier versions just not turned on. And they've already rolled back on TPM being mandatory if you do a clean install.

Unless there is a feature you are forced to take really want it's probably let others test it until the first major service pack.

The upshot is: various built-in programs may stop working properly or cannot be opened at all.

Have a look at the comments too, programs and drivers on your computer check the internet to see if they are still good to go. It means that drivers and programs and apps now have a de facto kill-switch.

It is extremely unlikely that Microsoft would deliberately revoke certs needed for critical parts of Windows (are the start menu and setting critical ?) but it is technically possible. And it could be triggered by error or omission which has already happened.

There's an update and a fix.

So YMMV. The general advice is to wait until the first major service pack* or update but IMHO this looks a little bit broken by design.

*in the case of NT4 , SP3

• Registered Users Posts: 37 alexmaxoks

works flawlessly for me. Well for tasks I am performing. Getting updates every Wednesday (today was latest release)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I recently came across an old Sage installer that wouldn't run because its cert was revoked. UAC detected the revoked cert and blocked it from running.

Windows 11 has released a new version of Media Player to replace Groove Music in the Dev channel. Has anyone here tried it out yet to look at the new UI. The new media player will probably have most of the same features when compared to the previous version of the media player.

But I'm guessing now that with newer laptops no longer giving people the option to have a CD/DVD drive in them anymore; the option to rip CD's to either mp3 or flac from within the new version of Media Player is removed now at this point?

Am I right in saying the rest of the features when playing local files like music, photos and videos in it will be the exact same while being provided with a new UI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

With risk of being sarcastic, is getting "latest updates" is all you do? Is this why you have that "top spec" machine for?

Dont you feel that instead "technology working you", you are lab rat for them, "insider"?....

Google Play Games is to release it's own app for Windows 10 & 11 PC's & laptops in 2022.

This move will be a huge game changer for anyone who currently plays mobile games on Chromebook's or on Android tablets.

Having official mobile game support on Windows provided from Google instead from the likes of BlueStacks would be very welcome news.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 alexmaxoks

we are all lab rats mate )) machine was built for AutoCad

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Upgraded the laptop yesterday, the battery life seems to be much better since it was done, there must have been some update to power management. I've probably changed the performance/battery settings over time and messed them up from when new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bunshi

My PC doesn't support Windows 11 Can I upgrade without changing the hardware

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If it's just the TPM (Trusted Platform Module) issue, Microsoft have made an option to bypass this requirement.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

I upgraded to Win 11 a couple of days ago. Not particularly impressed with it so far. If support for Win 10 ends in 2025 then there's no alternative in Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Think it's grand. Doesn't hinder me in any tasks I need to carry out.

I like the terminal a lot actually.

The terminal is great but I'm finding the taskbar changes unpalatable. Specifically the way they removed the ability to drag items to the taskbar buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I tried on an old laptop. Installed ok but the touchpad was uncontrollable. Didn't seem to be any drivers to fix it. Other than that had no problems. I went back to Win10 on it though. That was a few months back. Maybe I should give it another go.

If the laptop has an Intel processor, try the Intel Serial IO drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement