Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are there so few state owned / state run schools in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-10-2021 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

The majority of schools here at both primary and secondary level are under the Catholic ethos. There are very few truly secular school.

The majority of the aforementioned schools are on Church property and therefore the Church has a huge say in how things are done (even if the teachers themselves are state employees).

The usual stock response from people is "if you have a problem with it then send your kids to an educate together". This is a baloney response as there often isn't an ET school for several kilometers from some people's homes.

We're a Christian family and we go to Church service most Sundays (my dad is Lutheran and my mam is CoI).

Why can't the state get their finger out and build secular schools or at least pay off the Catholic Church to take hold of the schools and get rid of religious instruction and sacraments in the classroom (which for some non-believers and people of other religions are a waste of time and a distraction from lessons).

Comments

Jaysus, for someone that never went to school here, you are obsessed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

My two brothers do.

What's your point?

My taxes (of which I pay lots) go towards the school.

How does me not having have attended school here negate my right to voice an opinion on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

We all pay tax , you're not unique with that that.

The vast majority of us were educated in schools with a religious ethos and did ok.

Of course you can have an opinion.

Is there an agenda? Are your brothers education not up to standard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Sorry, not very interested in this thread as it's been done to death, but let's just clear it up quick. Many people don't have an option, you're working under an assumption all children have access to multiple schools, which is simply not true. My own children (and their mother) live in a rural town in the arsehole of Limerick, and there are two schools nearby. One primary, one secondary. Both are Catholic schools. Any truly non-denominational schools are far far out of reach for them to attend.

And please don't say "move closer to them" because given the housing market that is quite frankly not an option for even more people across the country.

• Advertisement

I never said I was unique in being a tax payer. It was implied that I wasn't allowed to have an opinion because I wasn't schooled here, I said I was allowed to voice my opinion because my tax Euros fund sectarianism in Irish public schools. The Irish education system is deeply racist and sectarian.

I never said people didn't do well in Irish Catholic schools. Children probably did well being educated in Nazi Germany or North Korea (all whist being indoctrinated).

What agenda do you think I have??

🤡

World peace?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Parents everywhere are free to pull finger and set up a school with ET as a Patron.

Most cannot be arsed doing so - and that is the basic reason why: the organisation which could be bothered has patronage of most schools.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This thread just made me think of this.

Seriously though, the church has had a huge involvement in education in Ireland for centuries so it's probably because of the historic significance that things are the way they are with schools. The government probably thinks it's just easier to let the church do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Evidence please for your statement that the Irish education system is deeply racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

OP, I was brought up an atheist, going to Catholic schools (Early 80s to mid 90s) and I now teach in a school with a Catholic ethos. Apart from the fact that I used to pick stupid fights with my unfortunate religion teachers and get the occasional classes off to go to masses when I was a student, the supposed ethos had no effect on my education.

Apart from the shadow of section 37 the ethos of my current school has no effect on my life. I actually used to teach religion, at this school and my last one. I have never had to be secretive about having been brought up an atheist. I hate section 37 but I do not know of one case where it has been implemented. I'd love to see a school try.

You have some weird axe to grind here. If you are, as you claim to be, a recent arrival to Ireland, I suggest you take a little longer to gather facts before you form your impressions of systemic racism.

Section 37... https://www.ihrec.ie/app/uploads/download/pdf/recommendation_paper_re_section_37_amendment.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How is the Irish education system racist or even sectarian?

FYI I agree we need more non denominational schools not run by the church but this statement is pretty absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I didn't say you were, I was directly replying to the claim that people have options. They really don't.

edit: as for the OP's claim of racism in the Irish educational system, I'd love to see proof of that.

'The Irish education system is deeply racist and sectarian.'

Any evidence of this whatsoever?

I didn't go to primary school in this country either, apart from 6th class. I didn't see any racism. Definitely not in secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Educate together is the school of choice for "helicopter parents"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We are in a housing crisis , we need 25k housing units built every year just to keep up with demand, the government , the government can't afford to build 100s of new schools.

If you are a parent you have no choice probably since 95 per cent of schools are owned by the Catholic Church , its only since the 90s that people even started asking for a choice of schooling options

Schools are not a priority right now as we recover from the pandemic

This goes back 100 years most schools and hospitals were funded by the Catholic Church most schools are staffed by ordinary teachers they just follow the Catholic ethos in subjects like religion sex education etc it does not effect teaching Irish maths etc

Post edited by riclad on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are plenty of State-owned schools at second level (ETB), but few at primary level.

Taking the GRETB as an example, they have 19 second level, and two primary schools.

• Advertisement

It is curious................in Ireland people call for the churches to pull back from education, and for the State to own and run more schools...........while in the UK, I hear that some people actually go as far as moving house to be closer to church-run schools, and so avoid State owned schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

The state should be bothered. It's not up to individual citizens to provide suitable, modern education for children in Ireland.

Given the waiting list and waiting times in State-owned hospitals, and given the numerous other examples of State inefficiency, would you want the State to run more schools?

Example: this guy claimed his two dead parents pensions for 33 years. Would you want that organisation running more schools?

I'm sure the ETB are good, but I don't want them to have a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The state could build schools and then let local appointed boards or educate together run them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The COI and other churches also run schools around Ireland, it is not just the Catholic Church but the majority of religious school are going to be run by them as the vast majority of the population are Catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You want a public servant sitting in an office a long way away from your town to be responsible for building and hiring staff for schools in your town? Think a bit harder about how well that would work.

Local patronage is critical for making the system effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, let’s have an organisation steeped in kiddie fiddling and the covering up of it running schools. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Went to a regular national school, even as a child I despised the holy Joe types and I didn't learn the prayers or any of that ****. It's actually quite easy to avoid the supposed indoctrination of the church, if anything it's the consumerist agenda that has infiltrated church sagrements such as first communion which has become bouncy castle season.

If you have anyway half sane parents it should be an issue anyway. I think its good to have an ethos that isn't connected to commercial or political interests, it has resulted in quite an egalitarian system compared to other anglophone countries.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Yeah, let’s teach kids that zombies, “god”, talking donkeys and the rest of that nonsense is real.

Oh, and let’s turn the genocide of this god character in to an amusing story for kids.

Advertisement