Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring of Honor Discussions and News Thread - *Spoilers for Latest Shows*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,317 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was a cracking PPV from start to finish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Gresham has requested his release from ROH/AEW.

Per fightful:

• he felt disrespected due to lack of communication from the company leading up to this weekend
    • lack of time for the match also lead to feeling disrespected 
    • asked for release before the match
    • met with Tony before the show and voiced his frustration and it escalated to him cussing Tony out 
    • Gresham is done with wrestling for the foreseeable future after this month 
    • came out without his usual attire to show people the real him for what could be his last match
    • no statement from ROH/Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 53,886 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Man that tag match, god I love tag team wrestling

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That was a truly excellent PPV.

Castignoli and Gresham was a great opener, I thought it might have been Yuta and Garcia (who also had a banger).

The 6-Man was enjoyable, Dalton Castle and the Boys are a fun trio to watch.

Rush v Dragon Lee was wild. The topé to the table was a particularly daft spot. Mad lads :)

Joe v Lethal was solid, but I think it's fair to suggest that Joe's best days are past him and I figured this might be the time to let Lethal go over - but they're probably gonna have him do some stuff with Dutt and Singh and holding the belt would possibly complicate that.

Martinez and Deeb had a great match too, really enjoyed it. I wish TK would give more time to both of these women.

FTR v Briscoes was a hell of a thing. One of the best matches I've seen in a while.

Have to say Caprice "go to the Spanish announce table not us"

Had me in stitches

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Death Before Dishonor did 36,100 buys. 27000 digital buys and 9100 from television. Nearly double Supercard of Honor which had 19,200 total

Crowd was the 4th largest in ROH history. This was the largest crowd for an event that didn’t take place during Wrestlemania weekend

— FOW

ROH Final Battle PPV will take place in the University of Texas at Arlington on Saturday, December 10th with a special start time of 4 PM

Final Battle is looking like a really good card.

Looking forward to seeing Keith Lee & Shane Taylor going at it.

Garica & Yuta will be doing this for another 15 years a bit like Sami & KO

Joe vs Juice could be fun if we get the NJPW version of Juice.

I can see Athena & Martinez being a very heavy hitting match.

Jericho vs Claudio will be top notch no doubt.

Top Guys vs. Dem Boys in a Double Dog Collar match added

Dalton Castle & The Boys vs. Brian Cage & Gates of Agony also added.

Post edited by Agent Coulson on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

That tag match being added has sold it to me now. Could be fecking epic.

Briscoes/FTR could be OK too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,830 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think Briscoes will win considering what Tony said about having less RoH on AEW. He'll probably use this PPV to move key players into positions and take the titles off the mainly AEW talent. So Briscoes and Claudio maybe. Athena may move to RoH as well.

Looking like real fun PPV tomorrow that starts at 8pm our time

Jeff Cobb vs. Mascara Dorada

The Kingdom vs. Top Flight

Willow vs. Trish Adora

2.0 vs. Cheeseburger & Eli Isom

All added to Zero Hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Missed the early matches but got most of Yuta/Garcia and everything after that. Enjoyed it all. Briscoes/FTR was as mental as I expected and the result went the way I expected it to. The results mostly made sense in terms of setting up a separate ROH show. Wherever it may air.

FTR vs The Briscoes with 3 of the best tag team matches ever all in the space of a year.

FTR with maybe the five best wrestling matches of any divison this year between AEW, ROH & NJPW.

ROH TV will air weekly on the new revamped and designed HonorClub website for $9.99 a month going forward with involvement of NJPW along with NOAH & DDT and Tony hopes to add a Lucha company as well.

Start date will more than likely happen after WrestleKingdom.

Was going to say wouldn't whatever is keeping the Briscoes off AEW also keep them off any other network? So streaming would be the best option.

Not sure what happened at the ending of that first match. Was the shoulder lifted too early or too late?

The Embassy consists of multiple guys who are either not as strong as they think or keep messing up their feats of strength. When you're having Keith Lee catch Shane Taylor like it's nothing not long before, it looks even worse when members of The Embassy are struggling with The Boys.

Athena was being built better than Mercedes over the past while so expected that win, though from the reaction she got, I'm not sure they can keep her heel for much longer.

That the first submission to the giant swing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

The Briscos/FTR match was outstanding, this will go down as one of the best trilogies in modern wrestling without a doubt.

Rest of the show was fine, not sure about the swing being causing a tap out but points for creativity at least. Athena could be a great champ too, delighted she's getting something worthwhile. All in all with a bit more build these ROH PPVs could be a great addition and if they occur in between AEW PPVs it would be an excellent calendar for wrestling fans.

As for the actual ROH future being set up. I don't know, wait on more details come January but so far this seems like an 'L'. It's going back to Honor Club at a price that is just too expensive for what you're getting, especially when it doesn't include PPVs. Don't get me wrong, if they include some international partners and there's more to it than just a weekly show and the archive then maybe it is worth it but right now it feels like they hoped for a TV deal and are going back to what they were doing already pretty much (if I'm not mistaken). Not sure how this will be a worthwhile investment yet or make ROH relevant going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That the first submission to the giant swing?

How dare you, Sal rinauro tapped out to it in chikara.......

Briscoes/FTR Was a war, and dorada/Cobb on the preshow was a lot of fun, but this is the second or third reshuffle since Khan bought ROH, this needs to be it for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Some stiff chair shots from Rush and co. on Fox and Christian. Looks like they went into business for themselves after the botched finish. Telling the post match brawl wasn't referenced for the rest of the show. FTR match was unreal, but did anyone feel like the dates on the tights telegraphed the result a little?

My God that The Briscos/FTR match had me on the edge of my seat

What a match, what a f-ing all time classic.

I really fear for ROH existence with Honor Club, 9.99 seems expensive. I certainly wouldnt be paying that if I was in the States.

Just goes the show the fabulous deal we have with AEW Plus on Fite

edit

Also it's a pretty big thing TK didnt get TV rights for ROH, pretty disappointing

I think it also shows what an amazing deal Tony Khan got getting AEW on TNT originally to be honest.

It looks like no TV Network in the States wanted to take a chance on ROH.

When you look at NWA it can't get a TV deal and needs to be on Youtube.

MLW is on beIN Sports USA which the Network itself is lucky to get 250k viewers for it's major rights shows om it's English language version. It draws bigger numbers for football on it Spainish lanaguge version however MLW draws very small numbers on both versions and gets bigger numbers on Youtube.

Impact owners had to buy a channel 2019 to put there show on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

There's a possibility that they weren't allowed to shop it outside the Warner Bros Discover family and that WBD just didn't have any interest in a ROH. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out a few months from now and whether ROH ends up being a success or getting a proper TV deal but for now it's a big loss for the brand. I can't imagine the Honor Club version will see a lot of sign-ups but maybe I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

FTR and Briscoes was something else. Garcia and Yuta was very enjoyable. Women's title match was also pretty good.

Very enjoyable show.

So I wonder will ROH tour for the weekly TV show or will it be done in front of a studio audience.

It would be nice to see it tour even if it is in small venues with couple of hundred crowds

Back tonight on HonorClub with the below matches announced.

* ROH Women’s World Champion Athena will be in action

* ROH Pure Champion Wheeler Yuta will be in action

* ROH World Television Champion & AEW TNT Champion Samoa Joe will be in action

* Eddie Kingston will be in action

* Madison Rayne and Skye Blue vs. The Renegade Twins

* Mascara Dorado vs. Ari Daivari

* Christopher Daniels vs. Rohit Raju

* The Kingdom (Matt Taven, Mike Bennett) vs. The Infantry (Carlie Bravo, Shawn Dean)

* Lady Frost vs. Willow Nightingale

* Konosuke Takeshita vs. Josh Woods

* ROH World Tag Team Champion Mark Briscoe vs. Slim J

* ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Champions The Embassy (Brian Cage, Toa Liona, Kaun) vs. Joe Keys, LSG and Rex Lawless in a non-title match

* NJPW World Television Champion Zack Sabre Jr. defends against Blake Christian

* ROH World Champion Claudio Castagnoli defends against AR Fox

Was recorded this past weekend, if you want to look up the results

Seeing Mark Briscoe makes me wonder how they'll move forward with the tag titles.

Maybe a memorial tournament which will be for the titles this year then a trophy/number 1 contender shot from next year, if still around.

Supercard of Honor on tonight. Card copied from wikipedia

Preshow

• Jeff Cobb vs. Tracy Williams
    • Miranda Alize vs. Willow Nightingale

Main Show

• The Lucha Brothers vs. Top Flight vs. The Kingdom vs. Aussie Open vs. La Facción Ingobernable in "Reach for the Sky" ladder match for the vacant ROH World Tag Team Championship
    • The Embassy (Brian Cage, Kaun, and Toa Liona) (c) (with Prince Nana) vs. AR Fox, Blake Christian, and Metalik Six-man tag team match for the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Championship
    • Samoa Joe (c) vs. Mark Briscoe Singles match for the ROH World Television Championship
    • Athena (c) vs. Yuka Sakazaki Singles match for the ROH Women's World Championship
    • Wheeler Yuta (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata Pure Wrestling Rules match for the ROH Pure Championship
    • El Hijo del Vikingo (c) vs. Komander Singles match for the AAA Mega Championship
    • Claudio Castagnoli (c) vs. Eddie Kingston Singles match for the ROH World Championship
    • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Daniel Garcia

Thought that Tanahashi match was random. Seems it was only announced a couple days ago. I guess since he's around for last night's Multiverse United, Tony decided to get him for this.

I know it was said about the last event, but with the new weekly show, they'll probably use this to set things up going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Jesus Christ poor Dante 😨

Yeah, as soon as I saw it happen I cringed.

They need to choose a roster and stick with it. At the moment there's too much overlap with AEW and outside parties.

Like how long can we expect Shibata to be around? And how likely is it that the Lucha Bros will be on RoH only?

Great to see Nigel, though that may not be a fulltime thing.

After the talk of the number of people being there for RoH tapings I noticed how small the crowd was this week.

Also there's a wrestler named Jack Cartwheel? I was going to question what's next - John Backflip? then remembered there's Flip Gordon.

• Advertisement

In typical awkward Tony Khan style, he announced a new board of directors for RoH this week in the form of Jerry Lynn and Stokely Hathaway.

Advertisement