Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst breakfast cereal

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Just an FYI that the prices are wild when it comes to those individual portions. The plastic pots from flahavans are about €20 per kilo if you work it out. The quick oats sachets are around €7 a kilo. A 1.5kg bag of flahavans is 3€, and you just have to measure it out and warm it up the same as the others

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

worst has to be Oreo O's cereal. I'd say wet cardboard has more flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Shredded wheat is the best but corn flakes are easier. Shredded wheat has to be pummeled a bit and and put aside and left untill it has soaked up the milk and softened, but then it's the tastiest of the lot.

Best weetabix with cold milk

Worst weetabix with warm milk

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Worst: Porridge - and since I'm trying to be healthier, it's the only one I have. I've tried putting Cinnamon on top - still tastes and feels like wallpaper paste.

Favourite: Honey & Nut Crunchy Clusters from Aldi.

Does anyone else remember the multipack arriving into the house as a child and the race to see who got the Coco Pops or Frosties and what poor sod was left with the plain Cornflakes? 😄

• Advertisement

As a child though crunchy nut cornflakes were great.

I try and make breakfast as healthy as possible these days so usually have porridge with yogurt fruit and various nuts or seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

40g of Flahavans jumbo oats

10g of Oat Bran

220ml of Oat milk

2 mins microwave

(add nuts, berries, chia seeds, honey whenever the mood takes)

Can't beat it.

You won't find me eating any of that sugary muck from Kelloggs.

On my lower carb days, I will have Fage full fat Greek yogurt with frozen berries and nuts. Watch the nuts though- high in calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Does anyone else feel that there are 'good' batches of Corn Flakes (lightly toasted, brighter in colour), and 'bad' batches of Corn Flakes (overcooked, darker in colour)?

Or am I going mad?

Sometimes I feel I can almost tell by the box....!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't like porridge made from milled flakes, only that made from whole 'jumbo' flakes and not overcooked. Add a teaspoon of butter, pinch of salt and then sprinkle with dark muscovado suger.

Porridge is actually nice if you make it with the same method as you would for stone soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Current favourite would be the Crownfield Raisin and Almond Granola in Lidl though it's about 25% sugar... lovely with fresh pineapple and natural yoghurt but also tasty with just regular milk.

Worst I'm afraid to say is porridge. Doesn't matter how I've tried preparing it, it's either the taste and texture of wallpaper paste or raw sodabread dough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Bran Flakes mixed with Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes is another favorite of mine. Tesco also do this Blueberry Wheats cereal which is pretty good.

Other cereals I don't like include Ready Break which looks and tastes like soggy wall plaster, and anything with lots of stodgy, sickly sweet dried fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You're not making it properly: use whole milk and no water (causes it to be creamy rather than watery), jumbo oats (causes it to have better texture: get the Aldi Jumbo organic one), put in a good teaspoon of white sugar. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I didn't mean I used all of those at once!

I've tried making it with water and with milk (separately!), all sorts of oats, bought it made by people who know what they're doing on the porridge front - and unless there's a seriously unhealthy amount of sugar on top (certainly when I was a child, couldn't tolerate that these days) it was just gag-inducing wallpaper paste.

Just not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Best= sultana bran.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I wouldn't know about wallpaper paste, never tasted it 😂. I love porridge, have it every morning.

Everyone to their taste, but all the products that most people posting here have for breakfast are loaded with refined sugar. Most of them taste great, but are nutritionally crap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Worst is weetabix with warm milk after it gets cold and sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Used to LOVE Corn Pops. These days I eat Cornflakes, Weetabix or Bran Flakes. Honourable mentions to Cheerios, Start and Rice Krispiez.

LOVE getting 3 weetabix, cover in milk, into microwave for 3/4 mins and then lash sugar into the goo. Delish.

Worst ever is Shredded Wheat, All-Bran, Ready Brek and anything with dried fruit in it.

Always encouraged to take that awful All-Cardboard was best for my very problematic digestive system before I had radical surgery, but I could not stand that stuff and loved the highly unhealthy sugar puffs. Now I generally just take toast if it’s early in morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yeh. Whole milk with large oats and honey or blueberries. Leave it overnight and have it in the morning reheated in the microwave. It's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 oookkkaaayyy

My favourite is Lucky Charms, my least favourite is Kellogs All Bran. It tastes like a homeless persons soggy cardboard box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

You're close, but I reckon it's best to not leave it to soak, making the oats in the heated porridge slightly chewy, adding to the texture, and that's exactly why I like it and why I use jumbo oats (you get less chewiness with normal sized oats). But yeah, we're on the same page here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I eat Weetabix as my current breakfast cereal for the past number of years. I find it nice with hot milk. I actually tried Weetabix Banana before a few times. You can get them in Dunnes supermarkets or on Dunnes Stores Grocery website. I find them to have an absolutely lovely taste in them when I have them for breakfast some mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Best - Start, Sugar Puffs, Fruit and Fibre

Worst - Oatibix, it's like wall paper paste. The idea of Lucky Charms turns my stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You obviously missed the bit where the OP said "not just the healthy stuff" . Mine are nostalgia picks, I'd imagine the same for others. I haven't eaten cereal in about 6 months. If I did it would be porridge or Weetabix in attempt at some sustenance.

Advertisement