Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst breakfast cereal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Flahavans Organic Oats with a fist of seasonal fruit or sultanas in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Porridge can’t beat it the rest are shite, they say that eating any cereal other than porridge that you’d get more nourishment from eating the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Apart from porridge the rest have no food value.

It’s either porridge for me or two soft boiled eggs and wheaten bread with a mug of hot tea. It sustains you until lunch or even later no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Lidl do a really good mixed nuts granola which is heaven in a bowl when combined with cold milk and chocolate chips.

My least favorite cereal is All Bran. It looks and tastes like plywood shavings with added milk

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Top porridge with honey

Most frequent weetabix but now prefer super valu one to original.

Really like Crunchy nuts & cornflakes.

Least fav Bran Flakes but my children like them !

Would try start again if I see them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I've porridge most mornings with jam or honey. Doesn't fill me that much though, be hungry again soon after

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Yes, Start was a great one.

Most of the cereals are crazy high in sugar, like 20-30% by weight. Partial to them all really, currently tend to munch on cheerios, cornflakes, weetabix, ready brek - will have them all in the morning and often in the evening too before bed. Don't really go for the chocolate flavour ones anymore.

When it comes to bad ones, my mother used to get special k, and I liked special k with a bit of sugar, no problems. I was at home recently and she had one with dried bits of what it said were strawberries, my god it was vile, like soggy sour bits of snot in your mouth.

We have been tightening the budget lately and have been getting tesco range of cornflakes, weetabix etc. I have to say I think they're grand, no problem. We got the Lidl version of cheerios recently though to try as the name brand are stupid expensive and the kids mill through a box in no time, and oh my god no they were atrocious, at 20 odd percent sugar the kids wouldn't even eat them, I tried to finish the box so they wouldn't go to waste and I just couldn't do it, absolutely horrendous.

Sorry to hear that sugar puffs are gone, they were an old favourite, RIP to the honey monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Corn flakes and do about 6 laps of the bowl with the squeeze bottle honey.

Worst, probably shredded wheat

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Loved microwaveable Flahavans Quick oats. Also a big fan of Weetabix.

Worst are those of the Lucky Charms/Fruit Loops variety (which don't really exist in Ireland iirc, maybe you could get them in some places). Some of them have over 40% sugar by volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i have weetabix most mornings with milk and it’s served my well. I have kind of limited my options though as I’ve limited my sugar intact for nearly ten years and haven’t eaten chocolate or anything like that in 15 years.

I assume others did this when they were younger, which was if you had a bit of two cereals you’d mix them to make one full bowl. I’d mix cornflakes with lots of things. I was never a fan of porridge because it took time.

• Advertisement

What was Sugar Puffs is still available as Honey Monster Puffs. Less sugar though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We mixed our cereals by choice as kids - and I still do these days , cornflakes and all bran being my current favourite hybrid.

Less sugar ? That’s not hard seeing as my memory of sugar puffs is they were laced with sugar and whatever else.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

The thread literally says 'not just focusing on healthy options' which means piss off with your porridge ye dry shites. You must be the types that hand out fruit to kids at Halloween!

Cookie Crisp is absolute crack cocaine. Same with Lucky Charms. But like all the really sugary ones you only really find it in the candy shops now that sell the yank cereals for like 20 quid a box.

If you ever see Count Chocula in one of those shops, buy it. You won't need a coffee.

My favorite one ever though: Cap'n Crunch with Crunchberries.

Anyone remember Bran Buds? I used to love them - they had a great crunch to them that soggy All Bran just doesn't have (and probably 10x the sugar content, which would account for the tastiness! )

Lucky you. It didn’t happen often but there were times when we’d have a drain in a box of cornflakes and some weetabix left and you’d the two. Those multipacks they used to sell(maybe they still do) were great to mix. they had rice crispys in them.

bran buds ? Name doesn’t ring a bell @HeidiHeidi. I remember many cereals with bran in the name but not buds.

There were six of us, so the basics (ie cornflakes and weetabix) were always in plentiful supply.

Variety packs , on the other hand, were a serious and rarely seen luxury!

Oh that was gorgeous stuff, little hard nuggets - a bit like dry cat food, now I think of it, but sooooo tasty 🤣

Ah well that’s were the difference is there was only three of us. Variety packs!!!! that’s what they were called. I had friends who’s parents who would by the massive box of cornflakes(was it 1kg?) and then take the cereal out the box and use a clothes peg to keep the bag closed.

• Advertisement

I’m not saying it wasn’t tasty but the name just isn’t ringing a bell at all.

I just looked up bran buds @HeidiHeidi and it’s a green box ?

edit: and I thought seeing the box would jog my memory but I’ve never seen or eaten them.

All-Bran Buds is a variety of All-Bran cereal manufactured by Kellogg's. It is a wheat bran cereal that is a source of high fiber and psyllium. It is available in the United States and Canada.

Bran Buds

It used to be available in the United Kingdom during the 1970s and 1980s. The cereal was available in Ireland until the mid-1980s.

😱

Now I feel really old!

Never called All-Bran Buds back in my day , just plain Bran Buds

No, it was a smaller version of the All Bran box, in the same brown/yellow colours. I looked it up as well, ive never seen that green "All Bran Buds" version

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Best for me was honey loops,nesquik and wheetos

Worst is definitely any of that sh!te with no sugar and looks like rabbit food

I remember them well but not in a good way- too soggy for me once milk added- they were similar to All Bran which are still available and also quite vile 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This is why I had little sympathy a few years back for the anonymous Garda Sargent claiming he was so badly paid they he was living of breakfast cereal to afford to pay his bills and feed his kids. Paying more for branded food with far less nutrition than cheaper food does not strike me as a rational action for someone claiming financial issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like crunchy nut cornflakes but mixed with regular cornflakes to dial down the sweetness.

I used like Frosties as a kid but I'd find them sickeningly sweet now.

I've never eaten Lucky Charms but the things look like pick n mix rather than cereal, no wonder yanks are the size that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

overnight oats,some cacao powder,coconut almond milk,blueberries....its absolutely stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

I used to love those chocolate weeto things and crunchy nut cornflakes. Haven't eaten either in years though.

Worst has to be shredded wheat. Why would you bother?

Advertisement