Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and worst breakfast cereal

Options
  • 22-10-2021 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

So what's yours. Not just focusing on the healthiest options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Sugar Puffs, but you can't get them anymore so Coco Pops or Cornflakes with ice-cold milk and a little sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Thank God for that. Here's my two current favourites

My all-time favourite is Tesco caramel & popcorn granola but you can't get it any more

Least favourite? Well there's any amount of them I wouldn't touch. Anything with raisins would probably be at the very bottom of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Best - Kelloggs 'Start', lovely wheaty honey taste, but I rarely see it much these days.

Worst - ready brek, tis like porridge for Noobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't beat the old classic Kelloggs Cornflakes.

Worst that I have tried, probably CoCo Pops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Favourite: No Added Sugar Alpen. Eat it every morning. A medley of textures. Never get tired of it.

I do like Cornflakes with a little sugar and cold milk, but as an occasional evening snack. Weetabix would be my preference in lieu of the Alpen for breakfast.

Least Favourite: Special K. Anemic Cornflakes.

I’ve never eaten them, but the very concept of Lucky Charms repulses me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Hate them all Only thing i eat is bread with fried eggs or bread with dutch cheese

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Start’ was great. Was it discontinued?

I guess ‘Crunchy Nut Cornflakes’ or ‘Honey Nut Cheerios’ would be the best now.

‘Weetabix’ would be the worst, not sure how anyone eats that muck.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I don't really eat cereal much, but I havent seen it on the shelves (been shopping in Aldi for years too, which may account for why i'm not seeing it).

Crunchy nut cornflakes have changed as well though, they're excessively sweet - almost like frosties, and the nuts are tiny particles, not far removed from dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

Anyone mix their cereal? My go to is cornflakes and mini choc weetabix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

I absolutely would kill for a box of Sugar Puffs. Jesus I loved them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh not had either.

But related I do love all bran golden crunch would recommend (as long as you haven't got any fillings)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bloody hell, that escalated quickly 😳

Weetabix or no sugar Alpen are my current go-to's.

Crunchy nut cornflakes were my crack cocaine - but have avoided them for years due to my ability to put away half a box in one sitting! V disappointed to hear they've gone down in quality, but most things have these days

I'm fairly sure I saw Kellogs Start in Tesco the other day that was another nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,808 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cornflakes, sugar, cold milk....

worst... any Museli... like eating crap off the ground in a forest.

Used to when I was a kid. Cornflakes and Rice Krispies mixed was a favourite. Or muesli on Cornflakes or Weetabix. Don’t do it any more, but my kids do it now.

Branflakes, or anything with that extra bit of fibre for, y'know making the world turn. (top tip, fibre is a great way of absorbing and expelling excess toxins from your body) I got addicted to the Tesco fruit and fibre version, I think it's about 79c a box but it's my go to. I also found Tesco's version of breakfast cereals have certain, qualities, that you don't find in other brands.

I like to wash that down with a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

It's like my food is trying to tell me something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Frosted Wheats. I couldn't find them for ages and ended up ordering from Amazon. They're that good. They're everywhere again now, which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I like the plain stuff, corn flakes, rice crispies, weetabix or on a cold morning if I have time flahavans porridge. Sometimes the cornflakes hot but none of them with sugar.

cant abide anything chocolatey and for the rest of the day I’d be a fiend for chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Gluten intolerant here so porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I know I will come across as a ranting spoilsport here, but almost all the posts so far are naming cereals that are loaded with refined sugar. Those cereals are unhealthy low nutrition products which I never touch. I eat porridge with fruit ( raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, chopped apple) every morning which means I am getting nutritious food and I am not hungry an hour later as what I eat releases natural sugar slowly into my system.

I know it's everyone to their taste and choice, but all those cereals are bad for a healthy lifestyle.

Used to love bowl of Nesquik but I'm boycotting Nestlé so those haven't been in the press in a while.

Sugar Puffs are absolutely manky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Forgot about "worst" in the excitement of thinking of Crunchy nut cornflakes!!

Worst for me has to be porridge - I've tried, God knows - slow cooked, quick oats, milk, water, fresh berries, honey..... and it still tastes like day old glue and makes me gag 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 23,813 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are Sugar Puffs gone??

Best for me are Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

Worst is Special K.

But what I actually eat is Weetabix or Porridge with fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

All cereals are shite, and convincing people that they were healthy was a giant con. That Kellogg's fella also convinced American parents to cut their sons' foreskins off because he didn't want them ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I love most cereals, favorites probably cornflakes with a bit of sugar.

Worst - All-Bran. I'd rather go hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Weetabix and Oatibix together with cold milk no sugar. I'd have it day or night.

Cornflakes and All Bran together, with cold milk is a current favourite.

When we were kids, Cornflakes and Weetabix together, with hot milk was the schoolday standard breakfast

@The J Stands for Jay : That Kellogg's fella also convinced American parents to cut their sons' foreskins off because he didn't want them ****.

Actually, he made Special K out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Golden Grahams but alas, no more.

Advertisement