Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handicap system

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea but a score of 100 doesn’t tell us very much. Was there a few 10’s in there? Any pars, even birdies?

I mean one lad shooting say 10 bogeys and 8 doubles for a 98 is very different to a lad who shoots 98 with 3 quads, 3 triples , 2 doubles, a single bogey and 9 pars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Those are not HIs allocated based on WHS. Its based off the Handicaps Committee's own interpretation.

Player C is the only one of the 4 given a HI that is remotely fair and based on WHS.

I think a HI of 20 would be appropriate.

Note that a HI of 20 might give you a course handicap higher by a few shots based on your course slope rating.

So if your par is 72 and say your Slope Rating is 130, HI of 20 might have playing handicap of 23, so 95 would be your target score for 36 points. This within 6 strokes of Player C's low score and should be achievable with some practice and playing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It won’t be +32 for handicap purposes, all treble bogeys + will be cut back to doubles and that will form the three rounds, then the -2 on top, previous handicap is irrelevant e.g. player A may have had an 8 on a par 4 cut to a 6, player B a 10 on a par 3 cut to 5 etc. You’d need to look at the cards

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Brusna

The handicap secretary is expected to take previous experience into consideration when allocating the initial handicap.

The way the system works is your initial 3 scores are added to your playing record. The score differential for each round is calculated and the lowest of these -2 is the new handicap index. The handicap secretary then makes an adjustment to this taking past experience into consideration.

In your case the best score submitted was 103 which would give a score differential of about 32 and an initial handicap index of 30. The handicap secretary makes the adjustment reducing the score differential down to 16 to give an initial HI of 14.

The reason handicap secretaries do this is because generally players improve quickly in the following rounds after the initial 3 cards.

Again in your case let’s assume you improve improve by 2 shots per round over your next four rounds. At that stage your best gross on your record will be 95 giving a score differential of about 24 and your handicap index will be 20 at that stage which is probably fair enough for a guy who previously played of 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 twitpants

Thanks for all the info!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

It's true that you get cut back to a net double, but before you are allocated a handicap they use 54 as your working handicap for cutoff, so +3 is a par on every hole. Individual holes are only cut back to +5, so a 9 on a par 4 stays a 9. If you pick up on a hole you're given +5. Here's one of mine from the golf ireland app from before I got my handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Does v-par count for handicap purposes?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Yes it does. I think it was mentioned on this thread before about V-Par but if you lose a hole where you don't have a shot, still finish it off for your score otherwise will show higher for handicap purposes.

e.g. - Par 4 with no shot, if you miss a par putt for a half, still tap it in for a 5 even though you've lost the hole, otherwise will show a nett 6 for handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Lip Out

That's correct and also shows how the WHS doesn't work for V-Par.

V-Par is match play against the course. At no point should you be thinking about your handicap. If I have a putt for a half (a par on a no shot hole), I certainly won't be thinking about the one back, nor should anyone else.

Another aspect of V-Par is the pace of play. If you have lost a hole, you pick up. Not putting out for a flawed handicap system.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed that V-Par shouldn’t be included in WHS

In the end of the day, if you don’t have a shot on a hole and you know you’re going to lose the hole, you’re not going to try your best with the rest of your shots etc. Skews the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,834 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Isn't it similar also in singles Stableford? If I've no shot on a hole and miss the bogie putt, if I scratch that hole and don't tap in for a 5 on a par 3 the computer will put me down for a 6?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

no

if you don't score a point, system gives you a net double. so in your case, you will be allocated a 5, not a 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I think Mantis means if your Playing Handicap is different than your Course Handicap. If your PH is 12 and CH is 13, if you pick up on index 13 it will give you a nett double bogey, but you might have had a putt for double bogey and in the comp this was a scratch so you picked up. Or maybe ive picked it up wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Russman

Absolutely. Pace of play has always been mooted as one of the big benefits of stableford and V-Par.

Just by the by, does anyone know how prevalent (or not) the non-stroke play forms of golf are outside of Ireland or GB & I ? ie stableford and V-par ? It seems to me that the WHS is primarily geared for strokeplay - presumably because the rest of the world (or mainly the US ?) outside of CONGU-land were mostly playing this way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Just out of interest, how do people respond to the query, "What's your handicap? " these days ?.

I'm off 17.9 which gives me 21 shots on my home course, so am I an 18 or 21.......please, please, please say 18 😉

but don't forget it only gives you 20 in a competition 🤣

its way to complicated

just say the index

but problem then is that you rock up for a game a few days later with same person and all of a sudden you are three shots higher!🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭whatchagonnado

Index. They can do the calc to their home course (assuming they golf) to understand how good you are :) And if they don't golf, you sound even more impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Index, but I dont use the decimal. So if I'm 7.9 and someone asks me what handicap I play off ?....

7!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭blue note

I got a penalty adjustment for not getting my score attested 😂

I played Portmarnock links on Friday and submitted the score. The lad attesting it was having trouble with the app so I submitted it again for my other playing partner to do. I thought there was a way to report a problem through the app but I couldn't find it and didn't get to do anything about it before I got a mail on it. So the penalty seems to be that that score has gone into my history as well - another .5 of a reduction.

On the one hand I want my handicap down, so it's not the worst thing. But on the other, I want it from putting in good scores, not from penalties!

I sent a mail to our handicap secretary to explain. Hopefully it can be removed, but it won't kill me if it's not.

That's the second time I've asked someone to attest a score and they've had a problem though. The first, the guy got registered on the app and it was fine. He just hadn't logged into golf Ireland at that stage. And the second he had moved clubs and his number was inactive he said. To be honest, I think he just forgot his password. But is there a way to report a problem with a score you've submitted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've had to get a score removed where I didn't realise I'd selected the wrong course at a 2 course set-up.

Handicap sec removed it without any issues when I contacted them

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Looking for an explainer on my score from the weekend if anyone can help me. Bit of a strange round with 4 scratches and that's where I need the help.

I was under the impression that a scratch will count as nett double bogey for hcap purposes. This doesn't appear to have happened for me or else I am reading it wrong. Playing hcap on the day was 18 so 1 stroke on each hole. I can't find anywhere on the page that explains the asterix.

I’ve found you really need to make sure that the playing partner knows about and uses the golf Ireland app…… otherwise it’s gonna be an uphill struggle

How do you really make sure though? All you can do is ask them if they're happy to attest your score and if they're on the app. If they say they are you can't really press them to make sure they really are.

I don't understand why the first fella said he was and then two days later asked me what app he needed. And the second fella said grand and then in the bar after said he hadn't been able to access the app since moving clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

That looks weird allright. Its supposed to just show your adjusted scored in brackets so a 7 on a par 4 would be 7 (6). I know the mobile app shows an asterisk where the ADJ gross has been applied to a score. What was your score on the holes that have the asterisk?

Might you have selected "did not play" the hole as opposed to "picked up?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

That looks like what's happened for the front nine, but the scratch on the back nine looks correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

I selected 0 on all holes. They were scratches that I did not finish the hole. Definetly did not select did not play as opposed to played but did not score.

I will have to get on to the hcap committee as it has affected my hcap.

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Why not just put in a score that is equivalent to the scratch when submitting the score (assuming it's a stableford comp). Removes the ambiguity of it, and your record is going to be adjusted to that score anyway

• Advertisement

Advertisement