Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gen Z will never work a day in their lives.

Options
1235»

Comments

Yes the old are always giving out, but the young started it, so it's only right we organize and fight back :D

Self-aggrandisement, the narcissism of minor differences, and other egotistical impulses drive some people to act this way, regardless of age.

OP, to break this painful cycle, I am prescribing you 10 years in the Tibetan wilderness to be immediately followed by 5 years in an Indian city dump. I will assess you for further treatment at that point.

And as for these labels - Gen Z is followed by Gen ALPHA?! What is this messianic Nietzschean sh1te? Alpha? Get up the yard! Better yet.. get out of me yard ye little feckin Nazis! :D

Most of those making money on social media have "real" jobs too, because it takes time to setup and develop a brand that sells effectively. Even then, the market shifts quickly, and many people fail to change quickly enough, and will need to fall back on their "real" job. The few people I know who are working entirely through their social media, already have some income or supports coming from their families, boyfriends/gfs, or live in relatively cheap countries.

As for saturation, it happens, but the nature of the internet is that something new comes along every few months. Some continue to remain profitable for an extended period, but for many, these new ventures are an opportunity to make some quick money before moving on to the next new thing. Besides which, most people who work online in this manner have diversified so that they have a toe dipped into a variety of income sources.

It's not as easy as many people want to suggest. Still I know people earning big money from their online branding, and subsequent marketing/sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It took the woke warriors coming in, calling the consumer base toxic

Really? Is that what happened? I'm not a member of the community, but what I saw discussed about it in public was how some female participants were getting abuse and finally drew attention to that. Is that not the case?

Google throws up several articles on this. One

Then a stalker began harassing her on the game’s forums, impersonating her in the game and, later, sending her barrages of Twitter messages, some threatening her with graphic rape and murder

Another

The study, carried out by Young Gamers & Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM), discovered some 35 per cent of women said they have been sent inappropriate content or messages from other gamers. Some 28 per cent of female gamers have been sexually harassed by fellow gamers and 40 per cent verbally abused by gamers while playing online multiplayer games.

Are these articles false? Is someone who finds this unacceptable a 'woke warrior'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

working/ paid employment in and off its self does not cause mental health issues, the person needs help and support with their mental health issue not a life on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Obviously the people responsible for the "harassment" were just edgy and non pc, and anyone questioning it is just woke and probably identifies as tofu.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

so work doesnt cause environmentally induced mental health issues? will agree though to a point, the long term unemployed do indeed need assistance with whatever psychological issues they maybe having

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The funny thing is that the gaming community used to be a rather positive place, absent most of the sexism, or divisive attitudes that were present in other parts of society. It took the woke warriors coming in, calling the consumer base toxic, and demanding representation for everything under the sun, while continuing to complain when things changed to match their views.... all of that changed the gaming community, because of the pressure placed on game developers, and the range of media outlets that suddenly started posting bile about gender and race. https://kotaku.com/ being a prime example of the pure drivel that has been produced just to drive gamers nuts.

Except this isn't remotely true. It just got swept up in the culture war like a lot of things and got flooded with far right talking points. I've been a gamer all my life and never felt like anyone was forcing "woke" on me whereas I just avoid online communities because of the absurd levels of toxic masculinity and entitlement on display. My favourite games are Imperialistic, colonial wargames and none of the "woke warriors" have even mentioned them. For every Anita Sarkeesian, there are thousands, if not more "classic liberals" wailing about identity politics.

It's why I never touch multiplayer.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Really? Is that what happened? I'm not a member of the community, but what I saw discussed about it in public was how some female participants were getting abuse and finally drew attention to that. Is that not the case?

Yes, that was part of the movement to bring about regulations and moderation of behavior...

What? You think your point counters everything I said in my post?

Are these articles false? Is someone who finds this unacceptable a 'woke warrior'?

No, of course not... and nothing in my posts suggests anything like that, since I didn't raise the point of online harassment in gaming. You did. I referred to the gaming community, game development, and the advancement of woke agenda in that environment.... in response to the piece I quoted.

Or it's a irrelevant to what I wrote, since he's referring to the behavior of some people online, as opposed to the movement to introduce and apply woke attitudes to the gaming community. I even pointed to examples of those attitudes and concerns, and he chose to introduce something entirely different, and run with that.

I made the point of referring to the Gaming media, such as kotaku, because that all contributes to the overall gaming environment, from gaming conventions, to the kind of opinion pieces sent out about gaming culture. As for woke being forced on people, it was a reference to the pressure on developers, and others to conform to the expectations surrounding the woke agendas, such as objectification, or gender stereotyping. What? You haven't seen the range of articles and discussions on the use of gender in games, and such? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Remember the outcry before the Cyberpunk release about stereotyping, and racism? I guess you wouldn't consider that to be relevant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I made the point of referring to the Gaming media, such as kotaku, because that all contributes to the overall gaming environment, from gaming conventions, to the kind of opinion pieces sent out about gaming culture. As for woke being forced on people, it was a reference to the pressure on developers, and others to conform to the expectations surrounding the woke agendas, such as objectification, or gender stereotyping. What? You haven't seen the range of articles and discussions on the use of gender in games, and such? And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Remember the outcry before the Cyberpunk release about stereotyping, and racism? I guess you wouldn't consider that to be relevant. As I said, sticking to singleplayer is how you can avoid it all, and you confirmed my point.

So no evidence, then that these slavedriving, tax-dodging corporations are "woke warriors". Ok. I'll leave it at that.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

No, that and this response shows that your attention is focused on being annoyed at who you perceive to be 'woke' and if not uncaring as to some of the experiences those within the community were putting up with, definitely seeing it as less important than denouncing what you perceive to be 'woke'.

In fact, you flat out blamed such people coming in for creating a toxic environment which suggests that either the stuff I referred to only started as a consequence of people asking for a change in attitude (don't think anyone would buy that argument) or that you were ok with, or ignorant of, what others were experiencing.

As I said, I'm not a member of that community, but the focus on the 'woke' in a denigrating manner while ignoring other unpleasant and outright illegal attitudes seems an interesting position to take.

• Advertisement

Ahh well, when you want to avoid dealing with the content of my post... sure. Go right ahead...

No, that and this response shows that your attention is focused on being annoyed at who you perceive to be 'woke' and if not uncaring as to some of the experiences those within the community were putting up with, definitely seeing it as less important than denouncing what you perceive to be 'woke'.

As opposed to Emmets claim about male gamers, which you didn't seem to have a problem with. That's rather telling considering your objection to my own post.

And who did I say was, or that I perceived them as being woke? Again, you seem to be leading towards things that I hadn't posted on, and drawing conclusions all the same.

In fact, you flat out blamed such people coming in for creating a toxic environment which suggests that either the stuff I referred to only started as a consequence of people asking for a change in attitude (don't think anyone would buy that argument) or that you were ok with, or ignorant of, what others were experiencing.

In fact, I blamed the woke movement for coming in and creating such an environment (not the environment of harassment, before you lay that on me too). You introduced the problem of harassment in gaming, and decided that represented the whole involvement of the woke movement in gaming... otherwise you wouldn't have decided to run with it, without my first mentioning it. So, you believe that all woke agenda, and beliefs that were pushed into the gaming environment were solely done to reduce harassment of gamers by gamers, as opposed to any other reasons. Ahh yes, I can apply the same logic of assigning beliefs to other people too, based on extremely little.

Grand. Glad to clear that up. As for my supposed beliefs on harassment in gaming, you're doing a wonderful job of making it up for me, so knock your socks off. It's not remotely accurate, but don't let that stop you.

As I said, I'm not a member of that community, but the focus on the 'woke' in a denigrating manner while ignoring other unpleasant and outright illegal attitudes seems an interesting position to take.

Ahh well... I wasn't ignoring or approving of illegal attitudes. I simply didn't post about them in my previous contribution to the thread. I am a member of the gaming community, I'm active on a variety of gaming forums, and keep fairly up to date with whats happening to developers, and the business side of game publishing.

Again, though, you projected the argument about harassment on to me, without any connection to the quoted post, except to suggest that the woke involvement in gaming, was an answer to the need for moderation of said harassment. I disagree, and see it as the same movement of woke sentiments into most areas of entertainment.

Now, perhaps you'd like to deal with the content of my previous post.. as opposed to running off on a tangent based on assumptions that I didn't write about? No? Fine... TBH i wouldn't be terribly surprised if you continued in the same vein as you have so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Women make up nearly half of all people who play games (in the 5 key Euro markets), and the average age is 31. Pretty sure these figures include mobile games such as candy crush, etc, but a game is a game. Time spent playing is very low though, rookie numbers. People are forgetting that those in their 30s and 40s are the generation who were the first to have home consoles and that's why the average age is so high, and why I do get upset when people tar all gamers into the extreme category, of which there are only a few but vocal, same as any group.

2021 STATS

GLOBAL

• Across the five key European markets (France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the UK) 50% of the population aged 6-64 play video games. (ISFE, Aug 2021)
      • The average age of a video game player in Europe is 31.3 years old.
      • The games audience of these five territories breaks down as
        • 9% - 6-10 years old
        • 9% - 11-14 years old
        • 22% - 15-24 years old
        • 20% - 25-34 years old
        • 16% - 35-44 years old
        • 23% - 45-64 years old
      • Within each age bracket, we can look at the percentage of people who play video games.
        • 68% of 6-10 year olds
        • 79% of 11-14 year olds
        • 72% of 15-24 year olds
        • 60% of 25-34 year olds
        • 43% of 35-44 year olds
        • 31% of 45-64 year olds
      • The average time spent playing video games each week by European players is 9.5 hours, compared to 14 hours for social media and 23.5 hours for television.
    • 47% of all European video game players are women. (ISFE, Aug 2021)
      • Women make up 53% of all European mobile/tablet players.
      • Women who play video games are three times more likely to study for a STEM degree than that that do not play video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think there's a survey gamers are 60 to 40 ratio male female ,approx there's a wider range of games avaidable now not just cod fifa soccer war fps shooter games games are more social now with voice chat online multiplayer it's hard

More games have female lead characters returnal last of us2

I think it's not cynical to say gen z will be left to deal with the results of climate change unless present governments take rapid action to fix it its hard not to be cynical when we see the top 10 per cent can pay very little tax if they wish i think dating apps are a good thing as they give people more options rather than trying to meet someone in the local pub or nightclub

Advertisement