Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gen Z will never work a day in their lives.

Options
  • 18-10-2021 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

See this a lot on Twitter. Someone post something nostalgic or some pop culture gag

Tweet number 1: “These feile photos are epic cool”

Tweet number 2: ”woah this tweet got more likes than I was expect. I am a trans artist/plumber/baker/Follow my Instagram/GoFundMe/OnlyFans etc

and people fall for this shite and like and share and fund these people.

A whole generation of grifters anyone born after 1995.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I see this a lot on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Bums the lot of them. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Doubt many Gen Z were at feile OP. Maybe it's Gen X you're gripe is with?

Still, Gen Z must be doing something right if you're following so many of them on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

They weren’t, they just Google a photo of it, post it and then plug their own shite underneath. Simpsons references too are another thing they use.

I only follow The Simpsons, writers, showrunners etc. Wouldn’t follow these eejits, but they keep coming up on the homepage. When you follow a topic on Twitter, it shows you 95% of what you’re interested in, and 5% these eejits

Read underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What generation am I if I haven't a clue what this thread is even about? 🤯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A middle aged man who only follows Simpsons related content on Twitter is upset that someone posted a message he disagrees with. And felt it was worthy enough to start a thread about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The example given shows someone tweeting a link to charities when their initial tweet went viral, how very dare they, the goddam grifter.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

I think it depends. my niece who is born in 1998, is currently working as a virtual assistant like me. She just graduated last year and that's the first job she got. She chose WFH because she's a bit sickly and can't really go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Some people on twitter are promoting their side gigs (or charities), and you conclude that they will never work. The reality is those side gigs take effort all the time and they probably work a regular job (or two) as well.

Post edited by The J Stands for Jay on

I do think a bit about what the current children are missing out on in terms of hard work, discipline, appreciation for their material goods, and so forth. Especially when I see my kids friends coming around to our place so often because they get to do things with me and my kids here they aren't getting to do anywhere else.

And it is easy to point at them and moan about how they are just sitting around doing nothing but staring at their phones farming "likes".

But I am not seeing many parents giving them hard work to do - or instilling any discipline - or making any moves to show them the value of their material goods. So those people inclined to point fingers - and we have many of them - I wonder where they feel they should be pointing them. I suspect there is enough to go around.

Certainly one place worth pointing them is at the apps themselves. They simply are getting better and better at capturing and holding the attention of kids - and making the kids feel like these apps and what happens in and around them is the most important thing in the world. And as long as the eyeballs, clicks, attention, and marketable personal data keeps coming - I doubt the apps themselves are going to start caring any time soon either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Kids today have it too easy. They don’t work hard, they spend all their money on avocados and fancy coffees. They never got beaten in school or had to be afraid of the priest or a “dodgy” uncle.

I didn’t get to go on holidays while I saved for a house, one of the many that were available on the “market” at that time.

No, kids today need a good slap. Get them off their phones and out into the fields so they know what “hard work” is like. Why should they get off so easily? Or get things handed to them?

They should have to suffer like the rest of us crabs in the bucket.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

If I could post Simpsons pictures to twitter, get people to subscribe to my only fans, and then sit back and watch the cash roll in, without having to do anything else, then I'd jump at the chance. Why work harder than you have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

you wouldnt be one of those folks that suffers from that thing, oh what is it, prejudice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Since the beginning of recorded history you have the same old men yelling at clouds in every culture on the planet. The ancient Chinese, Greeks, Romans, Egyptians were moaning about it. The script always runs; the younger generation are a bunch of lacklustre layabouts with no respect for society and we're on the way to doom because of them. What's quite incredible for me is how every generation comes to this end in their own way and forgets what it was to be young and forget their older generation said the same damn things about them. It's like some built in biological thing that comes along at a certain time in people's lives, a menopause of whinging about the kidz. Though men are far more likely to come out with it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Yeah I believe they call it "Juvenoia"? Some people suggest it is a misfiring of Nostalgia or also something called "Stake Hypothesis" in how parents view their relationships with their children.

Peter the Hermit in the 1200s BCE is one nice early example of adults complaining that children seem to think they know it all. But from studies in general it seems Millennials - much like every generation before - generally share the values and work ethics of their parents.

But of course that should not be license to be complacent either. If genuine issues start to arise in one generation - it would be unfortunate to miss them or ignore them behind the rubric of "Sure every generation thinks there is something wrong with the younger generation - nothing to see here!". Rather we should be looking at the younger generation and being both open minded and sceptical - and seeing if there is any genuine causes for concern - or if it is just our natural biology kicking in our paranoias for no good reason.

If there are issues though - I am double sceptical harking back to being able to "beat" and "slap" children or complaining about the prevalence of avocados is the way to go to address it :) There are plenty of ways to inject discipline and controlled adversity and challenge into a kids life to help them grow without going full retrograde. The baby can be taken from the bath water. I am equally sceptical that participation trophies at every single event and "safe spaces" are going to be useful solutions to issues found though too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

and in this case, the OP bases his prejudice on a few people on twitter who have had tweets which have gone viral. approximately 0.0000073% of the current 'yoof' population.

This is certainly something I am noticing more and more. That all these controversies and problem behaviours and so forth all appear to exist primarily or sometimes even exclusively in the Twitter-verse. And the more wrapped up in that universe one becomes the more one can feel the world if ending. As someone who does not use Twitter however I feel I manage to live the entirety of my relatively active life without encountering a single person suffering from being "offended" or being impacted by "Trans Issues" or any of the other hot topics.

Imagine my daughter managed to dress up as Moana two years in a row at halloween - go from house to house - and attend parties and there was not a single complain of "Black Face" :) Imagine at age 10 she could learn to fire guns and between on and off line a total of two people have taken exception to that - one of them directly and one of them via a cowardly snide side comment in a totally unrelated thread? All this divisive stuff around the world (just the US?) just does not seem to bother the average person on the street a jot.

Twitter just seems to be the new extreme version of Eastenders or Coronation Street where people with feux horror talk over the garden hedge about "Oooo did you see what Sharon said on Corrie last night???". It's all manufactured moralising for entertainment. Or as Joe Rogan once referred to it "Recreational outrage".

That said though the "safe spaces" - firing of intellectuals in American Universities and other stultifications in educations - news media articles responding to things happening on Twitter - and people being forced out of jobs, or "cancelled" or deplatformed or whatever in deference to the small but vocal Twitter mobs - can leave one worried about just how much that Universe of degenerates is in fact leaking into our real world and if that is a path our society is going to keep following. Especially as the American "left/right" jargon seems to leak more and more into our discourse here in Ireland too on forums like this one.

So yea - possible to worry if you let yourself worry - but I try to focus on the things I can actually control - such as ensuring my parenting of my own children is as top notch as I can personally achieve. What more can I do?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I can claim with equal legitimacy that everyone over 60 is a Nazi.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Pretty much. The other thing is that each generation will pick something popular with the next and run it down constantly. Socrates moaned that writing things down lowered intelligence, the Victorians lamented the rise of the novel and today's miserable old moaners whinge about Twitter. On Twitter much of the time.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Strange title. Thought it was going to be about jobs being automated.

The tweet in the opening post is a charity one, so that's not a good example of someone trying to gather cash.

I know we all use exaggerations at times but where are you getting the idea that so many of them will actually make a living this way? Asking for money doesn't mean getting it. Making a full-time living through social media monetisation, while it happens, is highly unlikely for most. They'll just work like the rest of us - only they'll face insane costs, with mortgages a pipe dream.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

Household debt is higher than it ever was. The costs of living and raising of a family are increasing every few years. Retirement ages are increasingly being pushed towards later years. Mental illness, depression, loneliness from the decline of communities, and pervasive aspect of social media/technology all contribute towards a more fragmented society, where people are more often becoming stuck.

The idea that any generation would be able to avoid working is ridiculous, and in many ways, younger generations will need to work harder to achieve (and retain) the standard of living of previous generations.

on that topic, the notion of boomers giving out about younger generations is torn asunder by this lad; a tory peer so not exactly an ultra liberal.

minor caveat is that it's over three quarters of an hour long.

The thing is, we were told to look up to, listen to and respect our elders. That myth has been shattered when you look at the toxic culture and mess they've dumped on us to clean up. Here in the UK, all they seem to care about is milking the system for what it's worth and forcing their own views on society as much as possible.

H. H. Asquith

Boomers, generation x, y, z. What the fuk with all the labels nowadays? I don't know what half of them are about and I don't want to know. Bah grumble grumble etc etc

we don’t know how hard the lives of generation z will be, until they get older. Harder than the boomers in late adulthood I imagine.

Also job uncertainty with automation and digitisation of everything. The employment landscape really has changed. I saw someone say on another thread "Just get a public sector job" - yes, there are public sector jobs for all. A public sector job now is like gold.

H. H. Asquith

A public sector job now is like gold.

It always was. Job security and a range of other benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Some of these guys are making 7k+ a month out of this stuff, so yes they are getting it right... and if you have a problem with it, then it is your problem.

Advertisement