Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sold a Written-Off Car by a SIMI Dealer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Very simple Insurance companies are regulated... we need to tick boxes tax/insurance.nct is an offence... Just make it mandatory report if write off... then if confirmed as roadworthy have NCT to confirm... simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

NCT is a road worthy test, it's not a structural check on a car. Yes it should ideally see any structural faults. However most structural repairs can be hidden by a good repairer. That is why an engineer/ qualified persons report is required after certain major repairs ( such as an engine replacement). However if an engineer/ qualified persons report is required after a cat D repair it should be a legal requirement on the repairer and it should be recorded on the cars history. However this would increase the cost of such reports as engineer/qualified persons report would be recorded.

The other advantage would be the repairs would be recorded against the car and could be specifically checked at each subsequent NCT to make sure there integrity could be checked

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭MakersMark

That's actually a better option... NCT just confirm ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Cat and writer offs can vary. I be much more suspicious of a newer car is cat D than an older car. An older car is less likely to have major repairs as it is less valuable.

We had a car here that was bought in such a situation it was 7-8 year old Yaris where all one side was damages as well as the front light and bumper. Lad who bought it to repair was lucky enough to come accross a car the same colour and bought the parts and just had to bolt them on. Lines were perfect on the car. Car was perfect but looking back at it I be less inclined to buy such a car now unless there was a certified engineer's report

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Plenty low value cars go cat D for very little. All it means really is it was cheaper for insurer to pay out for the car and get salvage money from trade sale than to repair.

A £5000 golf with damaged bumper, rad and bonnet would likely be a cat d as too much to repair with new parts.

Trade will buy it knowing they will get a used front end for small money.

Post edited by mickdw on

That's perfect example... say the trade buy for €500+ fix for €500 total €500 so car now worth €5000... i have no problem with any of that once garage confirms to buyer car was damaged and gives certified proof of repairs + warranty to buyer... very straightforward....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So what happens when the seller isn’t the repairer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

If there was a shared data base between insurance company's, with all accidents recorded, then it would be impossible to sell on dodgy ex-accident vehicles. So you see a car you like, discuss with the dealer, agree a deal, but before payment, check with your insurance. And regardless of the salesman patter, its the insurance who will know the true condition of the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 KerryGoldinDublin

Because I have since been warned about who finances said garage mate. I got my result, now I'm ducking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KerryGoldinDublin

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Parkieman

@KerryGoldinDublin having a similar problem at the moment myself with a car I bought. Do you mind me asking if said garage was in dublin ? And how did you manage to strike a deal with said garage ?

Advertisement