Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sold a Written-Off Car by a SIMI Dealer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So, the Government established NCT test passed the car as safe and roadworthy in April? Yet the insurance want an independent 3rd party engineers reportat at a personal cost of €200 to you before they will insure the car?

If you don't have a current valid NCT cert and you have an accident, your insurance is null and void, but if you do have a current valid NCT cert the insurance company will not accept it as proof the car is safe and roadworthy.

Makes a total farce of the NCT test altogether doesn't it?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Just read the entire thread. I'm wondering at the time of purchase did the dealer actually tell you that the car had been "previously damaged" or not?

p.s. If I were you I'd kick myself for not having checked the car over thoroughly, and would be pushing hard for a full refund. Oh and my view is that your insurer would have covered you in the event of a claim as long as you didn't know the car's history or status. For now the best thing to do is get the car checked by an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 KerryGoldinDublin

The dealer did say the car had damage and the car was repaired in full. His exact words were "there was a bit of damage on the car when we took it in but it's perfect now". Never, during the entire process, did he mention that the car was written off. This is against the law. I have a barrister on the case, gotta pay him upfront but he's recouping costs off the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭passatman86

So many threads on here rarely get updated with an end result - make sure to let us know how you get on. Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sligopaul

Any update OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

@KerryGoldinDublin What's the latest?

Unfortunately i dont think we will ever get the final outcome of this one lads. Op joined and left us on the same date lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I suppose at least the thread confirmed that that a lot of people are driving around in cars that have been repaired without knowing it.

It's a lot more common than you might think.

Bring someone who knows cars with you to check before you buy.

It is good advice

Just most body work shops work repairs might not be able to be seen even by the trained eye. A cartell report is also important when spending big - even so, not all accidents are recorded

The latest is, the dealer didn't respond to the SIMI complaint, so my complaint is going to a SIMI tribunal in December. My solicitor is on hold until then but he's dying to get involved because he enthusiastically wants to "put manners on the dealer".

Car is now parked up in storage, got myself a run-around in the meantime. I haven't forgotten this thread and will defo keep those of you still interested in the loop.

• Advertisement

Nice one for the reply fair play

Hope you get sorted

Update as promised.

Lodged my complaint with Simi. It was going to a tribunal for judgement with SIMI in early December. A few days before the tribunal, the dealer in question called me to apologise for his behaviour and to see if we could work out a deal. I told him all I wanted was what I was going to sell the car for, and that I didn't want a full refund. He instantly conceded and we struck a deal.

Money lodged into my account two days later, car returned to original dealer. Paperwork completed, business concluded!

Take note, if it happens to you, stand firm!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

The Gardai would need to know that someone is selling an alledgedly written off vehicle.

That's someone else's problem, I ain't getting involved in being a grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

Being a grass? Jesus where are you,the Joy?

I was on your side all along in this thread,I thought you did everything right but whilst I understand you've had a result now and are done,the above attitude stinks..... it's somebody else's problem now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree with you... basically this is between the insurance companies and the legislator... if an insurance company writes-off a car how can it ever ber insured again... i think the VIN number should no longer be allowed insured for road use...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There's different categories of write off from repairable but not financially viable using new parts at main dealer labour costs to total wreck.

Obviously the the former can be worth while repairing using salvaged (but good) parts and lower labour rates. This could include anything from cosmetic / minor bodywork to needing an engineer's report before going back on the road.

The more severely damaged category vehicles should be certifiably destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

won’t grass him to garda but happily to SIMI? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Put yourself in the next buyers shoes.

oh wait...........

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's not the ops business now and for all he knows dealer will sell on car within the trade.

There is no law against putting a cat d on the road so people saying he should contact the gardai are not for real.

Cat d cars are perfectly good for the road once repaired correctly and I'd say 75 percent of garages around the country were selling cat d UK cars.

The crime is not declaring it to a buyer and attempting to get inflated price. They are in UK worth about 75 percent of normal price. Here's they appear to go abit more than that.

The big surprise here is that Simi was of some use.

• Advertisement

That's rubbish write off CHASSIS is gone that's all ... if they want to say what you are saying it should be stated as you say officially... But this is a perfect example of... how not to do it... make it up as we go....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I think we agree far more than you think. There's nothing "make it up as you go along" about write off categories https://hello.donedeal.ie/hc/en-us/articles/115004557529-Write-Off-Categories-Explained-

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why don't you educate yourself on the classification. There are categories that reflect the cost of repair and whether the car can be safely repaired.

It's used to be cat a b c d.

A was no repair and not even suitable for parts.

B was no repair but parts could be used.

C and D were allowable for road with D often being minor.

There are new categories now in UK so c and d are gone. I believe it's cat N and Cat S now,

Both N and S are repairable but S means structural damage.

This is all UK classes but that's where a Cat D would have come from so applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You found yourself in a bad situation which was not of your making, you stood your ground and ended up with a satisfactory outcome.

I'm delighted it worked out for you, happy days, and as you rightly said, it's case closed for you.

Go forth and enjoy.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

No education needed if any car has ever being listed this be noted on the reg document... use the system you mention...

I was not aware that done-deal insisted the sellers on the site doing this... good stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭User1998

No they wouldn’t. Its not illegal to sell a written off car

Glad it got sorted OP

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are a few things that I was surprised about. One was that the dealer had not got an engineer's report that the car repaired and was insurable.

If a car is cat D surely all insurance companies have that on record. Surely when OP went to insure the car originally the insurance company should have had access to that information. They should have been able to inform OP of any issue involved and load any premium then. I was actually surprised that insurance companies loaded cat D cars. It actually begs the question if your car is involved in an accident and get it repaired is it insurable ever again without loading. Because if CAT D is loaded so should any car repaired after an accident

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement