Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTA Trilogy Remaster: GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭endainoz

That's not really surprising though, the confederate flag has gotten contentious at the best of times. I can't see it changing much with Phil's character overall. I never listened much to the radio chat, but from what I remember it was mostly anti communism stuff rather than confederate stuff.

With that being said, there will for sure be some content changes, the mission where you initiate the gang war between the Cubans and Haitans will surely be removed. Will this have much of an effect on the main story? No, will it piss off a load of edgelords on Twitter/reddit? Oh absolutely, popcorn at the ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

SA doesn't seem to have changed the characters too much and looks worse for it compared to the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just thinking of the PSnow release of GTA3, and given the service doesn't do PS5 games (not yet at least), I wonder if they'll be much difference in quality between ps4 v ps5 versions of these remasters

They mentioned something about 4k 60fps so I suppose there would be a difference alright, but I wouldn't expect much to be that noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Not quite understanding the edgelord comment. Some of the hilarious adverts were 100% absolutely non PC, even in GTA III, so if this stuff was removed people are going to be disappointed. Having popcorn at the ready because people will be annoyed that one of the most controversial game franchises has started censoring itself is silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The fact one game is available on both PSnow and Gamepass, I wonder will each game be available to buy separately. Maybe 25 each or buy the trilogy for 60. Means if you had Now/Gamepass, you could get the other two for 50.

It was more because of the morons that will lose their sh1t over not seeing an old flag on some guys shirt that has no bearing on the story whatsoever. These are the people that don't see it as satire but instead take it literally. Same people get upset because swastikas aren't in WW2 games anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Tbh the big thing for me is the music. Have they repurchased the rights for the songs they lost since initial release?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I think they'll be the same rights they had. I don't think Billie Jean will make its return, though. That was removed a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I dunno. It's definitely less than what I was expecting, but I knew I was expecting more than they were going to deliver. With recent re-releases of such high quality like SR3, the Spyro & Crash games, I was hoping for something similar. It's good that one of them will be on Now, because it will give me an idea if they're worth a purchase or not. I find it hard to play older games, and this is 3 older games with a slightly shinier paint of coat (and a few QoL upgrades). But I'm not sold on them yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,482 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just hope this sells well enough to justify a Max Payne Trilogy remaster.

I doubt I'll do much more other than story stuff in all three games. Definitely won't be hunting down hidden packages or doing taxi missions, or just perching myself on top of the car park on Staunton Island in GTA3 using cheats for ammo and just destroying everything with a rocket launcher for hours like way back when.

Then again, maybe over the cold winter nights, I'll get sucked back in.

They added trophies but some are awful grindy sounding. GTA is a series i have never even attempted to go for the platinum on as they are a complete lack of respect for the gamers time.

Also, I'd be worried about burnout with 3 games in a row so yeah I'll be sticking to the main missions to get through them. With the mass effect trilogy remaster, i thought I'd have to take a break in-between but i cleared them back to back with platinums in 2 and 3. I doubt I'll get the same out of these but who knows.

I absolutely cannot wait to try 3 with the new controls and graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The people complaining most likely weren't around to play the originals. Let them moan and complain to their hearts content, it won't effect my enjoyment of the games at all.

I know I got 100% in Vice City (and all I got was that lousy t-shirt), can't remember if I got to 100% in San Andreas or not. Can't remember why I never got it in GTA3. But no matter how grindy they were, I had far more time and patience, and far fewer games back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭dasdog

GTAIII better have MSX FM - the Drum and Bass station and R* were very much intertwined with Moving Shadow Records at the time. All taken from this.

Actually the relationship went back to GTAII if not further. I bought a **** load of copies of their 99.1 release for two quid (punts) which had a weird GTA promo video on cd-rom. Moving Shadow were very cool at the time outside the mainstream dance movement.

Great comparison video here, the guy played there same scenes on the original to show off new details.

I was. I was even of age when 3 came out. But I'll still complain, because imo this looks like a rushed uprender with some QoL improvements. With the amount of money and talent R* have, they could have done a SR3 remastered on all 3. But they didn't. They claim to keep the old look because that suits the game, but realistically they couldn't be arsed actually making it better. They looked cartooney back in the day because that was the level of graphics available at the time, especially for a game so big. Money money money. And we're thick enough to keep buying this. One thing if it was around 40, but 60 for uprendering and some QoL improvements won't be enough. They actually look worse than I remember them, so I would probably do a disservice to my memory by playing them with modern gaming eyes. In my memory, they were all 8K, such are rose tinted glasses. It's just smacking of lazieness and cash grabbing to me, especially from a company with a net worth of $3.5 billion!

God forbid we have our own opinions...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Tommy looks like he has put on a bit of timber...

I don't think the SR3 Remastered is a fair comparison. I just looked up a video comparison of SR3 to SR3 Remastered, and it's all graphical improvements in terms of lighting, graphics etc.

But SR3 was a much more modern game (more akin to GTAIV) with motion capture, better facial performance etc. Having watched the GTA Trilogy trailer a few more times, I do think the more cartooney look is probably the better direction to go, because faces and movement of the characters was of that style to begin with due to the limitations at the time.

Looking at the video Zero Cool posted above, it does look like they have put a lot of work into it rather than just a polish.

Could they have done more? Probably. But I'd argue then they could also have a reason to charge more. SR3 Remastered cost €40 at release. The work to bring the GTA Trilogy to the same standard, considering the age and size of those games, they'd likely charge more than €60.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Remember unique stunt jumps! Some were fun others a pain to get

And I'd be ok with paying that, because it would have been worth the effort. Yes, I don't know the full effort put into these 3 games, but with Rockstar being who they are, I was expecting a lot more than what I can see, in comparison to other games. The Spyro remaster for example, originals came out before GTA3 and they did an outstanding job. Yes, again, different games, smaller, but the effort showed and was worth it. Right now, I don't think these are worth the asking price, because I genuinely don't see the value in it.

I'll be waiting to see what else has changed, but for now I'm sticking with my basic effort cash grab. I hope others do get enjoyment out of them, if they're happy with that, but it's below what I believe Rockstar could have done. No wonder they pulled all the modded versions, they probably looked better so would have been competition, not because of fostering 'bad behaviour' and harmful to 'the economy'. Yeah, harmful to their bottom line for their (imo) half hearted attempt.

I used to like Rockstar, and when they do release a game it's usually quite good, but they've been money hungry for too long and are forgetting why they were so good to begin with. Still waiting on that GTA V story dlc......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And this here is the classic example of someone complaining with no understanding of how games are actually made.

Don't want to be rude but this is a pretty remarkable remake of the old games especially considering potential sales. They seem to be source ports to the unreal engine with lots of tweaks and rendering improvements. Loads of new texture work and model work. It's the right mix of authenticity and remastering.

There's also massive flaws in your argument comparing this to saints row 3 remaster. While saints row 3 remaster is surprisingly great there's been way more work been put into these GTA games than sr3. It's a hell of a lot easier to add a modern renderer to a modern game engine but it's a hell of a lot harder to port 20 year old code to a brand new engine then also change all the art at a fundamental level. You really are selling this remaster is. It's looking to be exceptional.

Rockstar also might be a massive developer but I think considering the games they make that this is actually a very small project for them as they can't dedicate their entire team to it. I'd say they have a bigger game to develop.

As for the crash trilogy (not played Spyro), not a good comparison considering how they managed to **** up the physics in that game and make it worse to play than the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I feel the same im especially excited to play it on the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

@Retr0gamer I played the Spyro Trilogy and it is amazing but the game world is tiny compared to open world games. Even GTA III which is the smallest is massive compared to the largest map in Spyro.

I agree with you and they put a big amount of work into these remasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They were so buggy but I loved doing them. You had to land in a very specific landing spot to get some to trigger and they were a pain in the hole.

Right, you're entitled to your opinion, and yes, I don't know exactly how it works, and I admitted to it, so no need to be all snarky and make a point like it's something I claimed to be. I gave my opinion, which is still allowed. I'm still entitled to say that the effort put in, in my opinion, seems wasted if it was that much work. I still feel they took the cheaper option rather than doing something proper with it. Or am I wrong in thinking that remaking them in a modern engine would have been more expensive?

You're saying they could only dedicate a small team to this, because they are (imo) too busy milking GTA V and RDR2 Online to actually give the trilogy a proper remaster. So yes, maybe it's fantastic work for a small team, but come on, it's Rockstar, a huge multi billion dollar company, and they couldn't give the 3 games that really set them up a proper remaster? I don't buy it. The references to Spyro, Crash and SR3 were the graphical improvements, yes. That's what I would expect to make it new again. What Rockstar have done, imo, is give it a half hearted attempt. Because I don't want to take away from the work that was done, but it's not what Rockstar could have done if they actually cared. In my opinion. Which they don't, because why else would they take down mods that could potentially make the remaster look half hearted?

Getting harder to have an opinion on an opinion forum. It's not what I expected, is my opinion. There's no entitlement in there. I'm not asking them to make it in the modern engine. I'm not demanding anything. I even said that I hope people who like it enjoy it. Christ, this will be like the new Dark Souls, where those who dare be against it be shunned. Everyone can have an opinion, as long as it's the same opinion as us.

Edit: In the interest of fairness, yes, I compared this to remakes of games that came out 10 or so years later. So, what about the RE1&2 remakes? Smaller games again, yes, but far more effort and work put in to make it more visually modern. Some people like the retro look, some people don't. Neither is right.

Post edited by Potential-Monke on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Personally I think it looks like a superb remake effort. It can be quite tricky to make a remake without totally compromising or removing the original look, but this looks like a real effort to make the games look like the ones we remember. It maintains that cartoonish edge that was always there, and the graphics don’t simply look like the old textures upscaled. Said, of course, with the caveat we’ve only seen this very short, limited trailer.

San Andreas was the only one I ever played extensively: I tried to get into Vice City recently enough but the controls and combat were hard to readjust to. If the controls have been properly overhauled to something more modern, this could truly be a top-tier rerelease: the same games as before, nipped and tucked in all the right places to feel right in 2021. Also, gotta say the much smaller open worlds of GTA3 and Vice City are so much more appealing after a decade of mega-sprawling entires in the genre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

What were people expecting of this release if they're not happy with it?

Advertisement